1 2 3 Previous Next

It sucks TMo is disabling android native visual voicemail

rz9

I don't want to use TMo's app.  I'm sure it'll just have ads or do data collection or just otherwise be bad -- it only has 3.5 stars in the play store and looks to be filled with bugs.  You guys suck for dropping support of the built in android voicemail feature which worked just fine.

Ugh.  Stuff like this, my terrible reception at home, and the sprint merger make me think more and more about switching -- and I've been a t-mo customer for 15 years!

All replies

• snn555

first off what device are you speaking of? Secondly the main reason the app has poor reviews is because the user interface is about forever old and needs an update. Otherwise it works just fine. As far as native voicemail goes if you have an unlocked device from a manufacturer then it should work fine as long as you don't have the T-Mobile visual voicemail app installed. If you have a T-Mobile device that is branded T-Mobile and not directly from the manufacturer you may have an issue because the firmware may not support all oem features.

• rz9

Hi there,

I have an unlocked Xaomi Mi A2 Lite and the native voicemail had been working just fine for the past few months since I got it (I was actually surprised because TMo used to charge for this feature).  I then this week got a text message from TMo saying I needed to install the app (I don't have it installed), and now the native voicemail panel says "Visual voicemail isn't working, call voicemail to finish setting it up." The button just dials voicemail, it doesn't sync it.

• magenta8819235

Completely agree with you. Native visual voicemail stopped working this week, forced to install t-mobile 'visual voicemail' app, which is clunky, doesn't notify as well, forces me to have more stuff on my phone, and offers nothing that I want over the native android app. T-mo has kept this kind of thing to a minimum, which has kept me a customer for a long time - but if they become no better than the competition, I'll switch in a minute.

• skyhillan@gmail.com

Agree 100%. The native android app is so much better and is integrated into the phone app with all my call history. All in one place makes so much more sense than installing another app. The clincher was when I noticed the notification that I have 29 days left of my "free trial." WTF? I immediately uninstalled t mobile's VVM app because it is so bad even as a free app - no way am I gonna pay for it - and now all my messages have disappeared from the native app and new messages no longer populate that list. I now either have to use t-mobile's awful VVM app (and I guess start paying for the privilege next month!) or call the message center, old-school style. Does anyone have a fix? I've tried messing with the android settings on the phone app, have spent about an hour researching online, all to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

• magenta8819235

Is the 'free trial' for the 'enhanced caller information' under 'settings', or 'voicemail to text'? Those both seem to be pay functions but you can turn them off.

• skyhillan@gmail.com

Yeah, I saw that later. Still, I'd much prefer to use the native app.

I just spent an hour on the phone with T-Mobile support. He had me reset my network settings and reboot. Nothing changed. He's going to escalate it and call me back. He warned me that it may need a factory reset of the phone, which I'm not psyched about doing. The prospect of setting my phone up again from scratch seems like overkill for this problem. He says that T-Mobile is aware that their VVM app has code that prevents the native app from working properly, but cannot yet provide me with a fix. Hopefully, tomorrow's call will shed some light. If so I'll post here. Or if you find a fix, please post a link with instructions here. Thanks.

BTW, my device is a Sony XZ2 Compact, fully updated to the latest version of android.

• snn555

VVM is included free with postpaid plans.

Name ID and voicemail to text costs extra.

• magenta2449296

I agree with all the angry posts in this thread.  I use this number for work (tricky enough given magenta coverage) -- without functioning voicemail I am going to find a new service provider.  I upgraded to Visual Voicemail and it never worked (server error every time I launched it).  Uninstalled the app and tried to activate within Android calling app, but it doesn't work there either.  Callers can leave messages, but there's no way to know when or who called, just a suggestion to "call my voicemail."  So long and thanks for the fish!

• snn555

I don't know why everybody's having a problem with this. My OnePlus 6t bought from T-Mobile has no issue with voicemail in the stock dialer. This also goes for the same phone when I flash it to the global firmware version. it also works, I get notifications of voicemail and I can hear them and see them in the voicemail tab in the stock dialer app.

• magenta2449296

My Moto G6 did the same as well, until I got a message saying that I needed to update my Visual Voicemail to the T-Mobile app.  The update broke voicemail on my phone, even after I deleted the app (same problem as the person who started the thread). Perhaps a full factory reset will restore it, but at this point if I'm going to waste another hour or two trying to fix this I want a solution that will work.

The moral of the story is don't install the T-mobile Voicemail app.

• magenta2449296

So even after full factory reset, visual voicemail in the native app is not available.  So I nuked my text messages and apps for no benefit.  Maybe it depends on the version of Android you are running but this is a no-go.  If visual voicemail is not working for you on  Android, find another provider.  If it is working, just don't update anything.

• magenta2449296

UPDATE: After factory reset, the TMobile voicemail app did install and appears to work correctly (shows calls and messages from today).  Will see if it updates in real time.  It's a clunky 2007-style "web widget" solution, but at least it finally works.

• syaoran

My OnePlus 7 Pro that I flashed to the international-US firmware wirks fine through the dialer. 

Screenshot_20190701-132504.jpg

• magenta2449296

That's great, I'm glad it still works.  It's not a firmware or Android issue.

When you install the TMobile Visual Voicemail app there is a delay while they "activate" your voicemail, which I assume means they switch your number from the servers/providers that are compatible with the native calling app to the new godforsaken servers/provider which may or may not work with your phone.

Unfortunately, uninstalling the app does not change the message routing back it just guarantees that your voicemail is magenta forever.

1 2 3 Previous Next