Dual Sim question

kbanksjr

Hi,

I had a question that I feel like I couldn't find an answer for. Basically I have an iPhone 7 (Verizon Work) and a personal phone with TMo. I am wanted to know if anyone has any experience with one of the newer iPhones or any phone that I can switch to having just 1 phone but use both. I was wondering if I got an iPhone R or XS if I could put a sim in and use the eSim and that would all work. Thanks!

All replies

• magentatechie

Re: Dual Sim question

It will absolutely work, you just have to make sure that the phone is unlocked before you try putting in another carrier's SIM in it. 

Unlock your mobile wireless device

You can activate the eSIM in the iPhone by using the eSIM app available from the App Store.

T-Mobile eSIM app

At this time, the eSIM can only be reliably activated using the app and initiating a pre-paid line of service, however, this will accomplish what you're seeking- to use the physical Verizon SIM in the device, and utilize the eSIM for your T-Mobile service.

• endeavour1701

Re: Dual Sim question

kbanksjr

Hi... The answer is wrong, but not totally...

The eSim app from T-mobile is a scam. It's only for the most expensive prepaid plans, trying to get tourist adding easily plans on their phones for super expensive... It is not for postpaid customers or regulal prepaid customers...

(even if there is a trick for postpaid customers to get the eSim working, I did).

That said, yes, you can use one of the new iPhones for that. But since Verizon officialy support the eSim, you will have to transfer your work line (Verizon) on the eSim.

And then keep your physical SIM from T-mobile for the physical slot.

You can activate the eSIM with Verizon using their myVerizon app normally. Or just call them. They are going to be more than happy to help you.

T-Mobile, in other hand, think the eSIM is just a toy we want to use. Pointless arguing with them...

Regarding the purchase of your iPhone, be sure to purchase an Unlock phone (do not trust sales people at T-Mobile store), so, get the one from the Apple Store, without carrier. Today, normally, if I am not mistaken, there is no more different models for CDMA and GSM...

The iPhone still consider the physical SIM as the primary. Even if it has no impact at all. Google Voice for example think you are calling with the physical SIM, even if you set the eSIM as primary. Just a warning. Has been the only warning I got. (Since my physical SIM is from Europe).

You will be able to select, per contact, what SIM to use. It is working great. I'm really happy with the dual-SIM functionality of the iPhone.

Good luck...

magentatechie

I do not want to be mean, but do you have an iPhone XS/XR?

Any experience with the eSIM ?

Please, do not be like the tmo people and not understanding what it is and think we just want to play with the eSIM.

Look at what that eSIM app from T-Mobile is.... You will see that T-Mobile has no care about the eSIM usage for their customers. Only for tourist...