5G Rollout

mecharabo

Ive heard that 5G is being rolled out by verizon in sacramento area...when will you be here T-Mobile! Also, why no 600Mhz here yet

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: 5G Rollout

What Verizon is doing is deploying 5G ISP service on super-high-band. The frequencies are so high that signals won't pass through something like a window pane of even a piece of paper. They have to permanently mount one of their "5G" receivers outside your house or apartment and put the WiFi part inside. There are no Verizon "5G" phones.

T-Mobile has no intention of following this route. They are waiting for 5G phones and portable hotspots to become available at which time they will turn on their pre-installed 5G capabilities. For some time T-Mobile has been installing equipment that can be software-upgraded to 5G, once the standards are finalized.

The San Francisco-Sacramento marker has several OTA TV stations that are not scheduled to clear their frequencies until the end of Phase 9. (May 2020)

• syaoran

There are actually two 5G phones.  Verizon has the Samsung Galaxy S10 5G and Sprint has the LG V50 5G.

The point about jow Verizon's 5G works though is correct.  You literally have to be within 30 feet of Verizon's 5G transmitters to get service.  They are not designed for people to be on the move and maintain a 5G connection where T-Mobile and Sprint have deaigned their 5G rollout to work the same as current cellular deployments do.  Whether you are stationary or on the go, you can remain connected to 5G across the entire area where it is deployed.

When it comes to 5G speeds, Verizon has the faster speeds (1Gbit) but the trade off is standing still under one of their transmitters.  At about half the speed (500Mbit's per second) with T-Mobile and Sprint, you can maintain that speed while traveling across an an area.

• drnewcomb2

syaoran wrote:

.....Verizon has the Samsung Galaxy S10 5G ....

Yeah I see that now. It was released a couple of months ago. Is it true that it's only 5G on mmWave? Like if you're not within a few meters of the base station, or there's a piece of cloth or foliage between the phone an the base station, there's no 5G signal?

• syaoran

Yep!  It isn't designed for coverage, but for speed.  So there are essentially fast hotspots that you have to be very close to.  Verizon would have to place them in volume over every 10 or so meters to make it practical for what we know and expect from cellular service today. 

• tmo_mike_c

For more information about our 5G vision, please check out that link. We'll be keeping folks updated as we roll it out and continue to improve our coverage.

• magenta6535609

I know you guys and gals on the T-Mobile team are tired of hearing people ask about 5G but I have a question or two for you.

1# While I understand there will be low-mid-high range 5G offered from T-Mobile will the networking equipment between cell towers see any substantial bandwidth up-grades? It would really suck if the moment 5G goes live all the servers/routers get bogged down with the increased traffic the cell towers bring in. For example will you be implementing multi-spectrum fiber optics? Some new fiber wires increase bandwidth by firing lasers of various colors through a single fiber cable and using beam defusers to split the beams up and decode them, effectively multiplying the data speed by the number of beams used.

2# Will you be partnering with OnePlus or ASUS in the roll out of 5G phones? Even though Samsungs' S10 is the first to offer 5G connectivity, OnePlus has offered more price accessible phones with arguably better software, battery life and screen quality. ASUS is quickly following suit with the ROG2.

3# Part of the 5G roll out page talks about "software upgrade to 5G" Please do not try and pull an AT&T here. One of the reasons I switched from them is the fact they tried to pass off an up graded 3G+ (~10mbp) signal as true 4G (~100mbp) wich isn't even as fast as 4G lte (~40mbp). I really don't care about T-Mobile Tuesday, or the Sprint merger (their data speeds are the slowest in America anyway) I really, really, really just want T-Mobile to focus on rolling this tech out in a way that is as complete as possible. No tricks, no scams, no     .

4# It also says that T-Mobile has no intention of utilizing ultra high band mm wave like Verizon. Big mistake. It is true the waves don't travel well never the less they transmit data ludicrously fast. This makes them ideal for a home internet connection even if it's terrible for phones that move around, as this tech will definitely change how people get internet access. I very, very, very much would like to dump sudden link as my isp and just have a 5G home connection. Verizon is likely going to use the beam forming properties of directional antennae to overcome mm waves range limits. Basically a 5G laser instead of an antenna. Please don't let them get an edge over T-Mobile like that.