False coverage map data.

twizzler2

Since T-Mobile receives data from our phones at to weather or not we are connected to their network or not. Why doesn't T-Mobile make the data available to us consumers??? I believe it could help to better resolve everyone's disapproval of T-Mobiles clearly misleading coverage map which I have proved without a reasonable doubt contains false information intended to trick unsuspecting consumer's. Better yet... Why doesn't T-Mobile use that REAL_WORLD_DATA to update false coverage areas on the map (We all know why)

I cant help but wonder why someone with the tech ability doesn't create an app that tracks when you are connected to the T-Mobile network, as well as when you lose your paid network connection. This could log how many seconds, minutes, hours, etc. a day customers are paying for a service that is unavailable. Perhaps that would motivate corporate T-Mobile to update the misleading or false coverage map or risk the possibility of a class action suit seeking a prorated refund for the time in which the paid service was non functional.

All replies

• syaoran

Re: False coverage map data.

Coverage does fluctuate for various reasons.  If I had to guess, thencoverage map reflects the most ideal conditions for the network coverage and not real-time information.  A good example is, coverage here is great during the late fall and winter months, but the spring and summer, it's non-existent without a cell spot.  The foliage can get very thick here in Hampton, Virginia, significantly reducing coverage.  Verizon claims excellent coverage here but it is also non-existent within the spring and summer.  ATAT claims but has no coverage here any time of the year.  The same applies to a lot of smaller towns and cities in West Virginia, upper Michigan, as well as many other places.  I am all for real-time coverage maps but can't see any carrier wanting to implent that. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • drnewcomb2

T-Mobile does actually have little hexagons on their map where customer's phones connect to their network. It's not a lot of data but it's better than none. There are differences between phones so some people can connect where other's can't.

I tend to run CellMapper whenever I go to a new area or an area where I suspect there's recently upgraded service. Sensorly is another one. RootMetrics.com also has coverage maps and does reports on how the carriers compare in urban markets. Apps like this run only on Android phones because iOS doesn't expose signal information in the API.

• addison211

It is deeply concerning that FCC staff's preliminary analysis of the challenge data shows that one or more major carriers potentially violated the Commission's MF-II mapping rules and submitted incorrect maps, Carr said Friday.
            • magenta8774802

Alas my family fell into the trap of false coverage map data. For a year now we have been using a home tower booster to get service in our house. Dont get service outside our house. Service entirely depends on home booster working. If power/wifi go down no service at all. I am disabled so this is a problem. We have been dealing with this on the promise they were making upgrades to tower and service would improve. It hasnt. Final straw family member went to New Mexico on assignment. Although map shows coverage there is zero service. No emergency service. Very dangerous for female. Speaking with two supervisors both give completely different information. The supervisor in Bellingham Washington refused to speak with me after I said I had filed a complaint with the FCC. Quote " Because you are taking legal action Tmobile will no longer communicate with you" She provided the legal department contact. I informed her the FCC was the regulatory authority and they expected tmobile to engage with customers complaint. She refused to clarify coverage map verses actual coverage area. I informed her I was disabled and needed clarification. She refused to engage and disconnected the chat. How can Tmobile refuse a customers request for clarification of coverage? How can Tmobile refuse to speak/chat with a customer because they file an FCC complaint. Incidently her advise was to take our business elsewhere despite purchasing expensive phone contracts.. i recommend all file complaint with the FCC. This is a deceptive ;practice. Refusing to engage with a disabled customer is reprehensible. I have copies of all chat history to confirm treatment.

• drnewcomb2

magenta8774802 wrote:

...... No emergency service. ..... her advise was to take our business elsewhere despite purchasing expensive phone contracts.. .....

The phone may not show service, but if you dial 911 (or 112) the phone will connect to any compatible carrier's signal and the local E911 operator.

T-Mobile has something called the Lifetime Coverage Guarantee. If you are dissatisfied with your coverage, you can get your phones unlocked and port to a compatible carrier (e.g. AT&T) and continue to make only phone payments. You do give up any promotional discounts when you do this but your aren't tied to T-Mobile service because of an equipment contract.

• magenta8774802

Your defense of TMobile indicates you have some interest. You work for them. No unbiased review would defend their shady practices.

Yes let's screw the customer for as long as we can get away with and then just tell them to leave....Oh so generous.

How about you support the position that the carrier upholds their part of tge contract and supplies the service the customer pays for.

No more shady practices involving false map coverage.

Kinda simple really.