Galaxy S9+ unlocked U.S. version SM-G965U1 - No updates since the One UI update in February

sunilkaneti

I've been on unlocked galaxies for a couple years and I'm used to the slow updates but they've never been this bad on T-Mobile Network. This is the first time I've ever gone more than 2 or 3 months without an update. I am on the February update (baseband version G965U1UEU3CSA8) with current security patch level (January 1st 2019).

For example here is the list of updates for Sprint and Google Fi:

http://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-G965U1/SPR/doc.html

http://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-G965U1/XAA/doc.html

And here is the list of updates for T-Mobile:

http://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-G965U1/TMB/doc.html

T-Mobile is missing the 3 updates that have happened since the One UI update in February.

All replies

• syaoran

Updates come from Samsung regardless of the firmware your device is running.  The S10's are their priority right now.  Last year, the S9 Plus U1 firmware went 4 months without an update, June to October.  Expect an update in the next month or two.

• steve_53

I too would really like to know why my unlocked S9 is still running the January Security patch - Samsung says it's up to TMobile to push the updates, but it seems to me that Samsung has not released an update for the unlocked S9/S9+ (on TMobile) since February - at least according to info on Samsung's website:  Notify Update. I've been browsing any number of phone forums and it appears that Samsung refused to directly answer this question...

• jodybiggs

+1

I recently switched to T-Mobile from AT&T, and my unlocked S9+ is running the April security patch, because I got that from AT&T before I moved to T-Mobile.  If that security patch works fine for my device to have T-Mobile service, why not push it to our unlocked (SMG-965U1, not carrier devices that were later unlocked) devices?  I just lost connectivity to my corporate email and other services because my company's policy updated to require a newer security patch level than T-Mobile has made available.  It's not like this is some ancient device!

• lewj

I also have an unlocked S9+, originally purchased from Best Buy in February 2019 to replace an older phone on Sprints network and it did receive the Pie and U1 update while on the Sprint network and had the January 2019 android security patch level.   I switched to T-Mobile in April of 2019 and had not received a security patch update since then.   So, after reading this forum, and other search info I have been reading on the web,  I went into the local T-Mobile store and asked them how do I receive the security patch updates--their reply  is to just wait and T-mobile will eventually push them out--this answer didn't sound right to me since, from what I was reading on the web, a few security patches were already issued since January 2019.   So, following what others have done above in this forum, and in other forums on the web, I shut down the phone, installed the Sprint sim card, restarted the phone, checked for updates, and the phone updates came in.  For some reason, T-Mobile isn't pushing these updates out.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • kv2009

I think Samsung does actually push the updates from their own servers to S9/S9+ devices on the T-Mobile network, but can only do so with authorization from T-Mobile.  The same applies to other carriers.  T-Mobile is the only carrier that has not approved an update for these devices since January.

• alwaysbuyunlocked

oh hey kv2009 - this thread looks way more active than mine.

This is just atrocious service from T-Mobile. All they need to do is just check one friggen box and bam, done.

Seriously, like if I had switched from AT&T to T-Mobile today, and put in a T-Mobile SIM, it's not like T-mobile would say "oh no! you're running a firmware we haven't approved! You are now BANNED from our network!" It's not like they would force our phone to reboot and then wipe itself and install the T-Mobile rom. Of course not! It would work fine.

This is some of the worst service I've ever seen from T-Mobile. Thankfully, my parents are on AT&T. I'll be visiting them and giving their SIM card a try in my phone. Like others have said... T-Mobile better watch it, or they'll be finding a lot of us with unlocked phones have other carrier's SIM cards staying permanently in their phones, not just for updates.

• dejanb

As much as I would like to put this on T-Mobile (it might be - we just don't have enough information) it is mostly in Samsungs court - why they wait for authorization from carriers for unlocked phone updates is beyond me. But it might be a larger agreement with T-Mobile that forces that behavior in order to be able to sell phones through the carrier.

• kv2009

A Samsung engineer said that T-Mobiles engineers are severely delaying software certifications for "certain Samsung devices" without reason or even a response to Samsung as to why.  And it stands to reason that T-Mobile would have to certify software being run on their network.

• dejanb

As I said, this might be up to some agreement between Samsung and T-Mobile but if I bring an unlocked device from another carrier that supports the T-Mobile frequencies there is nothing that T-Mobile does to stop me from using it. I have a Xiaomi LTE tablet that I bought in China and have been using it on the T-Mobile network and I'm 100% certain nobody at Xiaomi asks T-Mobile engineers if they can update my tablet's firmware (and it's been running a June security update for almost a month now). Same for people traveling from other countries using provides with roaming agreements with T-Mobile.

So this argument while reasonable on the surface makes very little sense when global communication standards get involved - this is why GSM won the mobile communication wars - because it was open and you didn't need to have a separate device when you travel somewhere else.

• kv2009

Then there must be some sort of agreement in place between Samsung and T-Mobile that requires certain software for certain devices to be certified to be used on the network.  And because of this agreement, nobody with an unlocked Samsung phone can get updates in any timely manner whatsoever.  Samsung has stated that they cannot push the update without certification so the ball is most definitely in T-Mobile's court right now...as far as we know anyway.

We're all speculating with as little factual information as possible because neither company wants to do anything to fix the problem.  If what Samsung said is true, then they have already done their job and are moving on.  All T-Mobile ever says is that if you don't buy the phone from them, they won't support it and that it is Samsung that pushes out updates to unlocked devices, and though while this is a true statement, it is not entirely true and withholds information regarding software certification.

It's terrible that customers have to beg for their $1000 phone to be updated regularly when it's only a year old.

• tidbits

kv2009 wrote:

Then there must be some sort of agreement in place between Samsung and T-Mobile that requires certain software for certain devices to be certified to be used on the network. And because of this agreement, nobody with an unlocked Samsung phone can get updates in any timely manner whatsoever. Samsung has stated that they cannot push the update without certification so the ball is most definitely in T-Mobile's court right now...as far as we know anyway.

We're all speculating with as little factual information as possible because neither company wants to do anything to fix the problem. If what Samsung said is true, then they have already done their job and are moving on. All T-Mobile ever says is that if you don't buy the phone from them, they won't support it and that it is Samsung that pushes out updates to unlocked devices, and though while this is a true statement, it is not entirely true and withholds information regarding software certification.

It's terrible that customers have to beg for their $1000 phone to be updated regularly when it's only a year old.

It's already been certified.  Samsung holds the ball.  How is it that the locked version has the update and THE exact same software is on the unlocked version even if you have a T-Mobile sim in it?  If you know how APK's and Android systems work then people may gather some insight.  Don't you ever wonder why Android Authority, XDA, and such took with a grain of salt to the excuse Samsung gave as to why the unlocked version isn't getting updates as quickly as other versions?  They know it's not the carriers being the problem.

• magenta9735359

I'm not getting updates since 02/2019.

• alwaysbuyunlocked

Two days ago I borrowed a coworker's Verizon sim card, put it in my Factory Unlocked Snapdragon S9+.

This phone had been on T-mobile ever since I purchased it, and was on January 1 update.

Within 5 minutes after rebooting, and on wifi, I was offered the June update. Download, install, reboot.

Immediately offered July update. Same sequence.

Immediately offered August update... which was released on that very day, August 21.

Now my phone is back with a T-Mobile SIM card again, and on the August 1 security update.

T-Mobile... I'm not happy. Glad there's a way around your bullcrap, but I'm not happy with your update policy.

Glad I get your service for $30 a month, thanks to be grandfathered in on your 5GB for $30 a month plan. If that ever gets taken away, I'm leaving the service immediately. I already put up with the worst coverage of the Big 4 (rather, Big 3 now that T-Mobile/Sprint have conjoined.) Why wouldn't I just go with Verizon and AT&T with an unlocked phone if I can get updates faster?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                • focus-pocus

Like everybody else here I was stuck with January security update for a while. I recently started wondering why, and I found this thread.

This is atrocious. I don't know, who to blame, probably both T-Mobile and Samsung.

Updates for factory unlocked phones should not depend on a carrier. That's the point of phones being factory unlocked.

Today I went to Best Buy and bought a NET10 wireless SIM kit for $1. I put a Verizon compatible SIM from the kit, I didn't do any activation. And voila, within a few minutes after necessary two reboots, I started getting multiple security updates in a row.

This is absolutely unacceptable. Especially on a premium device. The only thing that stops me from abandoning T-Mobile is this 5GB $30/month plan.