Unusable data coverage Erie, PA

magenta8490268

Hear reports from Tmobile how great their data speeds are across the country.  It might be true in other cities however no better in our city.   I tried numerous attempts to customer support to contact their engineering team on upgrading the towers in Erie, it fell on deaf ears.  

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Unusable data coverage Erie, PA

Most of the sites in Erie are tri-band (2, 4/66 & 12), so speeds should be good. What phone are you using?

• magenta8490268

Using iPhone XR.   T-Mobile download speed 0.94 Mbps Upload 0.61 Mbps.   Other carrier on my esim download 19.92 Mbps and upload 12.63 Mbps.    Other carrier stores in Erie just laugh at T-Mobile.

• drnewcomb2

I thought that sounded strange until I looked at Erie on RootMetrics and it does look pretty grim. Not sure why it would be like that.

• syaoran

Check your APN.  It sounds like you are being throttled. 

• magenta8490268

I don’t think that’s it however anything is possible.  Using T-Mobile on my esm secondary line with 10 gb high speed data and only used 450.mb for testing.   Doesn’t appear the data service has improved since last year when I had both of my phones and tablets on Tmoble unlimited for two months and I had to switch everything back to another Carrier.   I think T-Mobile apparently has great service in other cities and they are doing a lot for our veterans however Erie, Pa of a hundred thousand people must not fit in their customer base.

• syaoran

Ot iisn't leaps and bounds better than band 12, but ideally, T-Mobile's network needs to be entirely band 12 and 71 going forward.  Bands 2 and 4 just aren't worth maintaining or further investment. 

Onenreason for band 71 on current LTE being fast, is duentonthenlack of devices in use that support band 71.  Once every device over the past few years has band 71, it won't be any faster than band 12 is now.  On 5G, the same applies.  Device adoption always plays a role in network congestion amd speeds, especially in cities. 

• tmo_mike_c

Hmm, have you looked up your exact address in PA? That'll give you a better idea of the coverage you'll get in that area. In some cases, we'll need to have a Service Complaint to get some additional help with the service there.

• magenta8490268

Can you put in a service complaint For better data service as I have not had any success talking to customer support.

717 Colorado Dr Erie Pa 16505. 

• magentatechie

Yikes! I see exactly what you mean- when I punch in your exact address, it shows me you have all bands available, but practically no indoor coverage.  Looking a bit to the West of your address provided, the indoor penetration improves, but only somewhat, and coverage inside large buildings is going to be scant at best.  I tested the map using several different types of phones with the same results.  I'm also not showing any modernization taking place (meaning, the towers are not being upgraded) nor do I see future tower sites available.  This doesn't mean that we aren't out there working to improve the coverage for Erie, but it may not show on my map at this time.

What did they tell you when you called customer support?

• magenta8490268

Thank you for the reply.   The customer support that I called I don’t think they have access or a way to contact the engineering department  in towers or upgrades on T-Mobile, to look at Erie Pennsylvania    I think this is above their pay grade.  They can only resolve what’s on their response pages. Unfortunately they are at a loss when a person talks about coverage issues. They do the best they can with what they have.