Poor Coverage Farmington Hills, MI

magenta8139413

Hello, I have very poor coverage in Farmington Hills, Mi at my work.

I have been told by T-mobile support there are 3 towers around me there so coverage should be great. It is not. In the parking lot I have 3 bars band 66 ( RSRP0 -110) and inside the building I loose band 66 and band 2 that exist there. Band 12 exists but it is so low power ( even out doors) that I get one bar inside my office. I am on the 3rd floor and tallest building in the area but to no avail. Inside I have -123 RSRP0 on band 12 basically making unusable and in other parts I have 0 service at all.

I have opened 3 tickets to date on this issue; two have been closed with no problems found. 3rd one I just opened today. How many of these do I have to open before someone decides to call me back and talk to me about what is going on and possibly getting a tech out to the area to investigate. I told them they can stand in our parking lot and see that the service is terrible. But it seems like no one cares.

I asked if band 71 is coming to this tower ( hopefully to help with reception) but never got a response to my question.  I am going to wait on tmobile until phase 3 of the repack is done to see if they bring band 71. If not I am going to leave and move to Verizon which has full signal everywhere here. I like t-mobile but if I can't use my phone, it does not matter how much I like it, it is useless to me.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Poor Coverage Farmington Hills, MI

Band 12 has not proven to be the cure-all that it was supposed to be. I blame T-Mobile's ultra-conservative engineering philosophy. They design small cells with low power to avoid cochannel interference and maximize network speed at the expense of range and building penetration. That's part and parcel of "Built for Unlimited". I have no recommendation except that you vote with your feet. You aren't going to be able to change T-Mobile.

• syaoran

Those ticlets are completely useless.  They are a tactic to just get you off of the phone.  You need to speak to someone high enough to have your issue escalatated to the network engineers. 

• magenta8139413

so how do i go about getting to someone who can actually do something about it.

Tmobile talkes such a big game that they have coverage everywhere but I am 1000 meters from the nearest tower and inside my office I can't get any signal. It is such a pain. And they say merging with sprint will help. I don't see it. I'm close to giving up and going to Verizon. they might cost more but at least I can get service. with tmobile no service means a 100% loss of money spent on them not just the extra cost.

• magenta8139413

I actually looked today and I have line of sight to the tower, over all of the buildings in the area. Using google maps I measured a distance of 2800ft from my location to the tower. While standing there I had a total of 1 bar of service. Something is night right at all.

• magenta8139413

I actually think drnewcomb2 is correct. I think T Mobile is intentionally hobbling their network. And the reason why I think this is because they hold the title for fastest network and to get a fast network you need to be close enough to the towers. So they keep the power low on the towers to make sure that when you have a signal you also have fast speed. They would rather you have no signal than a signal and low speed because that would drop the average speed for the tmobile network and they would lose their title.

How I tested this theory is as follows. I have two iPhones; one work, one personal. My personal is on tmobile and is an Xs phone. The work one is on verizon and an Xr. The Xs has a better modem so it should have even better reception then the Xr. So now; at my house there is only one tower around and they carry all 4 networks on it. For tmobile they have band 66 and 12 on it. For verizon I have seen band 66,5,2 and 13 on it. When I am driving away from the tower towards my house I watch on the tmobile as it loses band 66 first and drops to band 12. On the verizon phone it keeps band 66 all the way to my house and from time to time it will change to band 13 which shows full bars of service. So now inside my house; the tmobile phone can only see band 12 at two bars (-118 or so rsrp0). The verizon phone shows band 66 with two bars (about same rsrp0 as the t mobile phone) and when it loses band 66 it drops to band 13 with full bars (-95 or so rsrp0). That to me shows that t mobile is putting out less power on their antennas which according to my earlier theory as to why they do that makes senses to keep the title for fastest network.

Tmobile would rather give you no signal then deal with you having a signal but a slower connection. Instead when you have no signal they are quick to hand out $600 repeaters or micro cell towers that hooks up to your network for free rather than them possibly losing their title for fastest network.

• drnewcomb2

magenta8139413 wrote:

I think T Mobile is intentionally hobbling their network.

I don't think I'd say "hobbling". More like "optimizing for speed". It's sort of like deciding what tires to put on a car, you can get slick, sticky, short-lived racing tires. You can get deeply grooved, noisy mud-grip tires. You can get compromise tires somewhere in between.  T-Mobile went with the racing tires. I understand that US Cellular split their 6x6 700A block (band-12) into two 3x3 carriers so that they could alternate carriers on adjacent cells. Lower speed but longer range. USCC went with the mud-grip off-road tires in the analogy.

• syaoran

Setting the fastest lap doesn't really matter, especially if you smacknright into no service and can't continue.  I really hope this isn't what T-Mobile is doing.  Going from 4 bars if service inside to no service at all, even when standing on my balcony and out in the parking lot is not going to keep me as a customer.  Slower but consistent service is better than no service!

• magenta8139413

I am almost sure this is exactly what they are doing and because of this strategy I suspect band 71 that is coming will not make a huge difference in reception. Which in the end to the end user having no reception and fast speed when you do vs having ok speed and good reception will keep them down from making it past att and verizon.

• syaoran

Band 71 does make a big difference in my opinion.  I have used the band 71 deployment for LTE in Blacksburg, VA.  Inside of thebthick stone buildings, I can still maintain good service and fast speeds inside of the Virginia Tech buildings.  For a heavily condenced population of 30,000 students within a few miles.  I was impressed.

I don't live in Blacksburg though.  In Hampton, Virginia, the service went from great to non-existent.  When I was in Alpharetta, Georgia though, I managed to find a few spots that had no service as well.  This was really surprising considering the amount of peoplenthat live and work in the greater Atlanta area.

• magenta3643411

Actually there is clearly some intention to have poor coverage in this area. Even outdoors on Long Lake Road between Franklin and Middlebelt, T-Mobile is the only carrier that drops service. Even Sprint works. And one thing I can't understand more than any other is why they bothered to sue the Township of West Bloomfield, take it to appeal, win, and then not build the site on Middlebelt Road. Something wrong with this picture...