Import Titanium Grey S9+ to U.S.?

colojaro

I am interested in buying the S9+ and I really don't like the color options in the U.S. but I love the Titanium Grey. I'm worried about having problems if I buy one on Ebay.

1. There is no warranty right? If I got it from Canada and had a Canadian friend do the warranty would that work? Have these phones had lots of problems I should worry about for warranty?

2. Are there issues with supported bands?  Will I have slower speeds or problems setting it up? If anyone has done this already it would be great to know which exact model to get.

3. I heard there are problems with features like Samsung pay or differences in firmware. What should I know? I plan to use Google pay, not Samsung if that matters.

Is it too risky or should I go for it? Any information is really appreciated, especially if you have one yourself. Thank you!

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Import Titanium Grey S9+ to U.S.?

It's all up to you. You'll have to be able to sort out the warranty issues. GSMarena.com lists five different models of the S9+. Only the G965U is shown to have LTE band 71, which will be critical for T-Mobile customers as time goes forward.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s9+-8967.php

3 of 3 people found this helpful
        • colojaro

Thanks for the reply drnewcomb2. Am I to understand that this band will help with coverage in rural areas like when I lose service travelling through Washington state?

I noticed that my wife's Note 8 does not have LTE band 71 and I'm thinking to make a table for comparison of bands (Note8 US vs S9+ US vs S9+ international and canadian). This way I have an idea of what bands I'm missing and I can use her experience with coverage as a reference. I'm thinking if it works at least as well as hers I'll be OK. I currently have the OnePlus 3 and it looks like it will have way more bands than that.

Samsung Galaxy S9 & S9 Plus Model Number (SM-G960* and SM-G965*) Differences

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note8-8505.php#n950u

https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_3-7995.php#usa

If I decide to move to Verizon will these really not work with CDMA (this is what the ebay listings say). Why would CDMA even matter any more, isn't everything through LTE now?

Thank you

• drnewcomb2

Band 71 is different from T-Mobile's band 12 in that they have licenses everywhere and there's more of it. Band 71 will be particularly important in places where T-Mobile does not have band-12 (about 50% of the lower 48). Band 71 is rolling out as TV stations relocate their signals from to accommodate.

As far as I can tell about Verizon, they're doing away with retail CDMA at the end of this year. I'm not even sure why manufacturers still make CDMA phones. Maybe someone else can explain it. For Verizon you'll still need band-13.

Frankly, I don't know why you're fussing over a Samsung, which are normally specifically crippled to fit the carriers that sell them. I'd go with a 3rd party, carrier-agnostic phone. Maybe a Pixel or OnePlus. On my budget I got a Moto G7 Power, which suits my needs. But hey, whatever makes your ducky quack.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • colojaro

Thanks for the info. I currently own a OnePlus and I just prefer this device over other options. Even in the past I would only buy phones that mostly had stock android. This is the first time I feel like the Samsung UI has gotten good enough that I want to use it.

• syaoran

Warranties are only valid in their respective countries unless otherwise noted in their terms. 

The S9 Plus from Canada is the exaxt same harware as the US firmware models.  The only difference is the firmware, which can be flashed with little effort.  If you leave the Canadian W firmware on it, you will not have band 71.  If you flash it to the U1 non-carrier specific firmware and then to the TMB U firmware, you will have band 71 and the device will not be any different than any other S9 Plus sold by T-Mobile.  The U1 firmware does supports band 71 but lacks T-Mobile's dialer for video calling. 

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • colojaro

Thanks for your help so far. It is hard to find the canadian version on ebay, only g965f international version. Is there any reason not to get that? Will that work just as well and will I need to/can I update the firmware the same way?

If you have a link to instructions you would recommend for the FW update please share it. Thanks

• syaoran

You don't want the F or DS for a few reasons.  They are Exynos based devices, so they can't run SnapDragon firmware.  There are combination ROM's that work but they are a bit more of a challenge to flash and have to be manually updated every single update if you want to keep your device up to date.  You also do not want the G9650 from Sourh America.  It might be a SnapDragon device but it but can't be flashed natively to North American firmware. 

Have you checked Swappa?  The most popular site I can think of to sell devices on up in Canada, is Kijiji.ca.  They don't ship though.  It is a site where the buyer and seller meet locally in a public place ro make the transaction. 

My girlfriend got my Titan Grey S9 Plus when the Note 9 came out.  Before that, I had the Lilac, which was also nice.  There are cases out there that sort of give you the look of the Titan Grey.  The frosted black Unicorn Beetle might be something worth looking at. 

Are you specifically looking for a new or used device?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • tmo_mike_c

Hi there!

I see you've gotten some super helpful info. Do you have any other questions about getting this device?