Spotty coverage

jigga34

Hello! I am in the military stationed at Travis AFB, CA. First I’d like to say that I really like being a T-Mobile customer. The problem I have is coverage/service on the installation itself. There a lot of dead spots where I can’t even get on the internet inside buildings and even outside in the parking lots. In buildings I can understand due the type of construction it is. But when I go outside and still can’t connect...is a problem. I don’t understand that. Is there any plans on building more towers near the vicinity or even on the base itself? I really don’t want to switch cell companies but it is very annoying to deal with this everyday. i Know of a lot of people on base who have and love T-Mobile but the spotty coverage definitely takes a toll on most. I see T-Mobile making moves and getting better but can this also be added in the equation? Thank you!

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Spotty coverage

What phone are you using? There appears to be one tower to the north of the base, one central and one at the SW. This should provide pretty good service. Having said that, I just filed a service complaint for New Orleans Lakefront Airport, which should have excellent coverage.

• jigga34

I am using an iPhone X. I moved out here in November from New Jersey. I didn’t have this problem there.

J.D. White Jr.

"I am who I am!"

Sent from my iPad

• drnewcomb2

The iPhone X has all the bands shown as active at Travis AFB. The iPhones tend to have slightly worse reception than similarly priced Android phones but you should still have service everywhere outside there. No guarantees indoors because T-Mobile can't control the materials buildings are made from. I'd call 611 and ask to file a coverage complaint. They might be able to boost the power a bit.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • jigga34

Thanks for the advice. I’m not sure why it’s so bad...

J.D. White Jr.

"I am who I am!"

Sent from my iPad

• drnewcomb2

I find that T-Mobile does worse when the signal comes from only one direction. (i.e. If one direction is just water, forest or desert.) You might want to look at that map and see if the problems occur when there is something (a building) between you and the nearest T-Mobile tower. Also, keep in mind that around runways, tower heights are often very limited. I've seen some that are only about 30' tall. This restricts the range.

• jigga34

That’s crazy. I know for a fact the other big companies don’t have this same problem. I’m hoping with the Sprint merger that this will be resolved in someway or another.

J.D. White Jr.

"I am who I am!"

Sent from my iPad

• drnewcomb2

I agree. Band-12 (i.e. 700 MHz) was supposed to solve these issues but I've found that T-Mobile doesn't seem to make the most of the capabilities of band-12. Their engineers seem terrified of giving up any erlangs to cochannel interference. Even in places where they have low-band (e.g. 5, 12 or 71) they seem to deploy these tiny, low-power, limited-range cells.

• jigga34

♂️

J.D. White Jr.

"I am who I am!"

Sent from my iPad

• tmo_mike_c

Looks like you got some good advice and I think filing a Service Complaint is a good idea. Did you get one of those filed through our Care folks?

• jigga34

I haven’t filed a complaint yet. But I plan on it today.

J. D. White Jr.

"I am who I am!"

Sent from my iPhone

• tmo_mike_c

Have you reached out to our Care folks and filed that complaint? Please keep us posted.

• jigga34

Sorry for the late reply. I’m in the military and had left the country for work. I just filed my complaint today. They said to give them a few days and they will contact me about what they found...if anything.

J.D. White Jr.

"I am who I am!"

Sent from my iPad

• jigga34

So...T-Mobile said that the towers in the area I made service tickets for had alerts that needed attention. They fixed the alerts and had me check those areas to see if reception had improved. I must say that reception did improve in those areas. One of those areas, although improved, was slow but was better than before. I will continue to check in to see if reception continues to stay better or decline. Thank you everyone who helped me and recommended how to proceed.

J.D. White Jr.

"I am who I am!"

Sent from my iPad