LTE Home Internet and Bridge Mode

john1545

I recently signed up for T-mobile home internet.  It's great except for one problem - the T-mobile gateway does NOT have a bridge mode.  That means I cannot connect it to my router without getting double "NATing".  I did find a Netgear (model LB2120) LTE modem that has bridge mode.  My question is, if I popped the SIM card from the home internet gateway device and placed it into the Netgear modem, would this work?

I can't think of a reason why not, but perhaps someone here has encountered this issue, or maybe someone from T-mobile can chime in.  I have a no-cap data plan for the device, so I would think it *should* work.  But as it is, I cannot use the LTE gateway provided by T-mobile with my existing router and home network system - it must be operated independently, given the gateway has no bridge mode.

Thanks.

All replies

• syaoran

Re: LTE Home Internet and Bridge Mode

I haven't seen the home internet modems, but there should be a way to disable the routing settings.  Disable DHCP and NAT on the modem.  If there is a firewall, that might help to have it disabled as well unless you know how to configure it and the settings are there to allow specific devices you assign to IP's through.  Make sure the router and modem are not fighting over the same local IP as well.

• john1545

Thanks, I've tried all of that but still get a double NATing problem that interferes with some device routing but not others.  I've confirmed with T-mobile that their gateway does not have bridging capability.  That's why I was looking at the Netgear.  I've since found additional problems with the gateway even when run independently.  Specifically, it does not seem to port forward correctly (or at all).  All-and-all, I think the only thing it is suitable for is someone with zero technical knowledge that will never use it beyond the most simplistic home network setups (like a grandma).  T-mobile seemingly has completely disregarded the multi-billion dollar home routing/networking industry, as they have designed this is a simple drop in, that is good for little else.  It's probably going to be making it's way back shortly.

• syaoran

Bridging is the same as disabling DHCP, NAT, and a few other settings.  If you still have rhe double NAT, you aren't disabling NAT in the modem.  You essentially want to either tuen the router into a switch or turn the modem/routee combo into just a modem.  If the T-Mobile modems lacks the settings tondo so correctly, then let the modem handle rourrou, NAT, and everything else.

• john1545

Yes, I know what bridging mode is, and no, you cannot turn off all routing on the gateway (as confirmed by T-mobile).  Also no, I do not want to let the gateway do the routing, since I have a router that has more features and a complex LAN setup. My desire was to support a double WAN configuration for load balancing and/or failover, which is not possible with this gateway, which is why I was considering hardware alternatives - my original question.

• tmo_mike_c

Hi there!

I was looking at our setup guide and I didn't see an additional modem being necessary to use the home internet service. Is this a modem you're trying to use in addition to the equipment we sent you?

• john1545

No my intention was to make use of the T-mobile home internet service without the gateway, since it has no bridge mode.

That is, pop the SIM card out of the gateway, pop it into the Netgear modem, and then connect that to my existing router.

BTW, since it looks like you work for T-mobile, I've noted that port forwarding does not work correctly on the gateway either.  Yes, I'm using the "virtual servers" setup, but no forwarding.  Even turning off the SPI firewall and enabling WAN pinging does nothing.

• magenta8345035

I don't work for T-Mobile. Just a regular Joe. I think a work-around is to

set the LAN IP to your network IP. For instance, I use 10.90.243.1 for my

router/firewall. If you set the modem IP to 10.90.243.5, turn off DHCP and

enable the DMZ and manually set the IP to 10.90.243.1, then my router will

get indirect access to the Internet via the DMZ. Turn off the WiFi and

security and it may work like a bridge.

• magenta8345035

Hi John. Totally agree with your assessment. Hoping someone could help but doesn't sound good. Going to try a few things myself to see if I can get a real IP assigned to my laptop. Let you know if I stumble across a solution.

Roger

• magenta8345035

No luck. Called their engineering support and the modem does not support it. They recommend daisy chaining your router to the modem. I even tried to put my router in the DMZ but it did not behave like it was outside the firewall of the modem. I gave up my router and am using the modem's router/AP as my primary router. Did not want to have to manage port forwarding on 3 devices in cascade. My NAS has port forwarding as well as my router and the T-mobile gateway. Nightmare! Didn't realize how good I had it when my Synology NAS automatically configured my Synology Router/AP. Miss all the cool features my Synology Router has. Oh well. Getting good throughput for $50/mo. Typically 70-80 Mb/s DS 25-30 Mb/s US. Seems like wet weather causes some signal attenuation. Signal strength drops from 3-4 bars to 2-3 bars. Not bad since I have it in my cellar. When I had it on the 1st floor, signals reception was typically 1 bar better.

• syaoran

I don't have the modem to much about with, but you should be able to turn off enough settings to achieve the same result as bridging.  If you want the simplest solution though.  Pick up an unmanaged switch to go behind the modem for wired and an access point if you want a separate wireless.  Most routers do have an AP mode as well but can also be manually set, if it doesn't.

• magenta8345035

I'm pretty certain that it all comes down to public vs. private IP addresses when it comes to bridge mode. In bridge mode, My router would DHCP a public IP address and provide private IP addresses via NAT. Public IP addresses can be routed and private IP addresses can not without static routing which I don't want to manage. Yes, I can double route but that is not the solution I want.

Answered an online survey for T-Mobile and urged them to update the firmware to enable a bridge function to make many users happy and loyal customers. Hopefully they take the request to heart. Would take a good coder a few hours to develop and a few hours to test. Update the firmware and woo-hoo, happy customers!

• syaoran

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the modem?  They might be able to tell you how to get it done because they should know their product fairly well and better than T-Mobile.  Most modems do have hidden services menus that might contain the setting you want.  That also might be worth looking into.

• durandbryant

So I noticed something interesting. When you click on the WAN port (Network -> Network map -> WAN) my T-Mobile LTE Gateway shows a private IP of 192.0.0.2.  That's a double-NAT, which is probably further complicated if you put a wireless device behind the gateway that is also NATing.

I discovered this while troubleshooting my inability to publish my PLEX media server to the Internet. It told me I had double-NAT when I was connected to my Google WiFi, and it said I STILL had double-NAT when I connected to the T-Mobile gateway.  I think that's why putting any router connected to the device in its own DMZ doesn't change the behavior.