LTE Home Internet and Bridge Mode

john1545

I recently signed up for T-mobile home internet.  It's great except for one problem - the T-mobile gateway does NOT have a bridge mode.  That means I cannot connect it to my router without getting double "NATing".  I did find a Netgear (model LB2120) LTE modem that has bridge mode.  My question is, if I popped the SIM card from the home internet gateway device and placed it into the Netgear modem, would this work?

I can't think of a reason why not, but perhaps someone here has encountered this issue, or maybe someone from T-mobile can chime in.  I have a no-cap data plan for the device, so I would think it *should* work.  But as it is, I cannot use the LTE gateway provided by T-mobile with my existing router and home network system - it must be operated independently, given the gateway has no bridge mode.

Thanks.

All replies

• syaoran

Re: LTE Home Internet and Bridge Mode

I haven't seen the home internet modems, but there should be a way to disable the routing settings.  Disable DHCP and NAT on the modem.  If there is a firewall, that might help to have it disabled as well unless you know how to configure it and the settings are there to allow specific devices you assign to IP's through.  Make sure the router and modem are not fighting over the same local IP as well.

• john1545

Thanks, I've tried all of that but still get a double NATing problem that interferes with some device routing but not others.  I've confirmed with T-mobile that their gateway does not have bridging capability.  That's why I was looking at the Netgear.  I've since found additional problems with the gateway even when run independently.  Specifically, it does not seem to port forward correctly (or at all).  All-and-all, I think the only thing it is suitable for is someone with zero technical knowledge that will never use it beyond the most simplistic home network setups (like a grandma).  T-mobile seemingly has completely disregarded the multi-billion dollar home routing/networking industry, as they have designed this is a simple drop in, that is good for little else.  It's probably going to be making it's way back shortly.

• syaoran

Bridging is the same as disabling DHCP, NAT, and a few other settings.  If you still have rhe double NAT, you aren't disabling NAT in the modem.  You essentially want to either tuen the router into a switch or turn the modem/routee combo into just a modem.  If the T-Mobile modems lacks the settings tondo so correctly, then let the modem handle rourrou, NAT, and everything else.

• john1545

Yes, I know what bridging mode is, and no, you cannot turn off all routing on the gateway (as confirmed by T-mobile).  Also no, I do not want to let the gateway do the routing, since I have a router that has more features and a complex LAN setup. My desire was to support a double WAN configuration for load balancing and/or failover, which is not possible with this gateway, which is why I was considering hardware alternatives - my original question.

• tmo_mike_c

Hi there!

I was looking at our setup guide and I didn't see an additional modem being necessary to use the home internet service. Is this a modem you're trying to use in addition to the equipment we sent you?

• john1545

No my intention was to make use of the T-mobile home internet service without the gateway, since it has no bridge mode.

That is, pop the SIM card out of the gateway, pop it into the Netgear modem, and then connect that to my existing router.

BTW, since it looks like you work for T-mobile, I've noted that port forwarding does not work correctly on the gateway either.  Yes, I'm using the "virtual servers" setup, but no forwarding.  Even turning off the SPI firewall and enabling WAN pinging does nothing.

• magenta8345035

I don't work for T-Mobile. Just a regular Joe. I think a work-around is to

set the LAN IP to your network IP. For instance, I use 10.90.243.1 for my

router/firewall. If you set the modem IP to 10.90.243.5, turn off DHCP and

enable the DMZ and manually set the IP to 10.90.243.1, then my router will

get indirect access to the Internet via the DMZ. Turn off the WiFi and

security and it may work like a bridge.

• magenta8345035

Hi John. Totally agree with your assessment. Hoping someone could help but doesn't sound good. Going to try a few things myself to see if I can get a real IP assigned to my laptop. Let you know if I stumble across a solution.

Roger

• magenta8345035

No luck. Called their engineering support and the modem does not support it. They recommend daisy chaining your router to the modem. I even tried to put my router in the DMZ but it did not behave like it was outside the firewall of the modem. I gave up my router and am using the modem's router/AP as my primary router. Did not want to have to manage port forwarding on 3 devices in cascade. My NAS has port forwarding as well as my router and the T-mobile gateway. Nightmare! Didn't realize how good I had it when my Synology NAS automatically configured my Synology Router/AP. Miss all the cool features my Synology Router has. Oh well. Getting good throughput for $50/mo. Typically 70-80 Mb/s DS 25-30 Mb/s US. Seems like wet weather causes some signal attenuation. Signal strength drops from 3-4 bars to 2-3 bars. Not bad since I have it in my cellar. When I had it on the 1st floor, signals reception was typically 1 bar better.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • syaoran

I don't have the modem to much about with, but you should be able to turn off enough settings to achieve the same result as bridging.  If you want the simplest solution though.  Pick up an unmanaged switch to go behind the modem for wired and an access point if you want a separate wireless.  Most routers do have an AP mode as well but can also be manually set, if it doesn't.

• magenta8345035

I'm pretty certain that it all comes down to public vs. private IP addresses when it comes to bridge mode. In bridge mode, My router would DHCP a public IP address and provide private IP addresses via NAT. Public IP addresses can be routed and private IP addresses can not without static routing which I don't want to manage. Yes, I can double route but that is not the solution I want.

Answered an online survey for T-Mobile and urged them to update the firmware to enable a bridge function to make many users happy and loyal customers. Hopefully they take the request to heart. Would take a good coder a few hours to develop and a few hours to test. Update the firmware and woo-hoo, happy customers!

• syaoran

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the modem?  They might be able to tell you how to get it done because they should know their product fairly well and better than T-Mobile.  Most modems do have hidden services menus that might contain the setting you want.  That also might be worth looking into.

• therefillman

I have the same "double natting" issue and can't make VoIP with Polycom IP670 phones work through it.

Have you received any updates?

Thanks...

Duane

• durandbryant

So I noticed something interesting. When you click on the WAN port (Network -> Network map -> WAN) my T-Mobile LTE Gateway shows a private IP of 192.0.0.2.  That's a double-NAT, which is probably further complicated if you put a wireless device behind the gateway that is also NATing.

I discovered this while troubleshooting my inability to publish my PLEX media server to the Internet. It told me I had double-NAT when I was connected to my Google WiFi, and it said I STILL had double-NAT when I connected to the T-Mobile gateway.  I think that's why putting any router connected to the device in its own DMZ doesn't change the behavior. 

• endeavour1701

Hi. Just receive an invite for it. And just because the upload is not the crappy 5Mbps that I have with my provider (or other in my area), I am really tempted by it.

But I can see your problem. And to me, I need to turn it into a bridge mode.

Anyway, do you have pictures of the device ? Any specification ?

Can we turn off the wifi and use an Ethernet cable on it ?

Thanks for the additional info, since you have one of these device.

• gregy

I can confirm two things:

1) the SIM that comes with the T-mobile home internet gateway does not work in a third-party LTE modem

2) there is no bridge mode capability with the current firmware (July 2019)

Also, the settings for DMZ and/or port forwarding don't seem to work as advertised. 

If you want to use your own router and can't live with the problems caused by double NAT, then look elsewhere for your home internet service.

I spoke with customer service and registered my unhappiness.  They mentioned the lack of "bridge mode" being a frequent complaint, and while they didn't promise any solution, they encouraged me to watch for firmware updates.  Take that for whatever it's worth.

• endeavour1701

Yeah, they are making people paying for a draft, and not a true usable feature.

When it's advertised to replace the major providers, actually, they can't really. Xfinity sucks in a way, but I never got my IP changing, and I have a modem, then I plugged my router behind. I would be more than happy to be able to use the T-mobile system, if only I was able to use it as a modem...

Great upload (if as advertised), which would be my primary reason to switch. But since it's only a draft, not ready for me....

Thanks for the information gregy !!!

PS, the double NAT can actually reduce ping times and speed, even if everything redirected to 1 single IP, which is your router.

You can make it working, routing everything to only 1 IP, but I have always notice reduced performance, or you have to use an expensive router, and then, no need of additional routers, since you have all the features you need...

PS2:

Any clue about ping time ?

• gregy

Hi endeavour1701,

Just did a test on Fast.com 62 Mbps down, 30 Mbps up, and 45 ms latency.  The upload speed is much better than what I can get from Comcast, the download is ample for my needs, but the latency is worse than cable where I got 11-15 ms.

I turned my old router into an access point serving my WiFi needs and I'm using the T-Mobile box as my router, however I still can't get port forwarding to work.  Can't make an RDP connection to my home network as I could with cable.

• endeavour1701

gregy wrote:

Hi endeavour1701,

Just did a test on Fast.com 62 Mbps down, 30 Mbps up, and 45 ms latency. The upload speed is much better than what I can get from Comcast, the download is ample for my needs, but the latency is worse than cable where I got 11-15 ms.

I turned my old router into an access point serving my WiFi needs and I'm using the T-Mobile box as my router, however I still can't get port forwarding to work. Can't make an RDP connection to my home network as I could with cable.

Hi gregy,

Thanks measuring it. upload is awesome. Comcast is providing me with barely 5Mbps up for 150 down. It's nothing. They could easily provide more. Bunch of thieves,,,

Speed is what I would like to see for myself, unfortunately, the ping time is what I was expecting, slow... 45ms is too much.

Regarding your RDP issue, you may use your old router as a router, and configure the router of T-mobile to transfer everything to 1 single IP, the one of your router. Then, hopefully, you should get your functionality. But the ping time might increase, and 45ms is definitely not the best...

• endeavour1701

endeavour1701 wrote:

PS, the double NAT can actually reduce ping times and speed, even if everything redirected to 1 single IP, which is your router.

You can make it working, routing everything to only 1 IP, but I have always notice reduced performance, or you have to use an expensive router, and then, no need of additional routers, since you have all the features you need...

Oops, I wanted to say reduced performance... Obviously it;s an increased ping time and reduced speed !!!

• magenta10103737

Just got my box 9/25/2019; no passthrough/bridge mode is going to kill this for me.  Was so excited but mandatory dual NAT using your own router breaks utility.

Firmware version installed:

Hardware version

REV.5

• studdmufin

I'm also going to voice my frustration with a lack of a proper bridge mode. Honestly works better in every way to comcast except this. Faster speeds, no data cap, and decent enough ping that I don't notice any issue with my games. The downside is that for some reason none of my smart plugs/lights etc work with google home because NAT issues.

• chuckthinks

I am not a network tech and have just acquired the T-Mobile Home Internet modem/router.  It's speed has ranged from 35 mbps down and 15 mbps up to astoundingly high 60 or 70 down and 35 up using ATT's speed test with a server in NY, NY.  I am in southeastern MA.  Latency does tend to be in the low 40's but is sometimes little lower.

My problem is getting a VoiP adapter to connect my existing wireless phone sets.  A Polycom Obi200 I bought does not successfully handshake.  Polycom is sending me another, so maybe it is a bad unit.  I want to use free Google Voice hosting for my phone number.  I am not trying to hijack this thread, so feel free to ignore my issue which I add by way of explanation.

I have read the discussion about bridging and NAT'ing.  My box came with revision 93353 on hardware version 5.  The interface under NAT does support a single DMZ, but leave it to others whether that solves your bridging problem.

While looking for an LTE to VoIP solution, I found on Amazon other sim card LTE modem/gateway/routers.  These are GSM LTE clients which claim to be usable on ATT and T-Mobile.  For example, NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem (LB1120) sells on Amazon for about $130.  It has one GB ethernet port.  There is a model with two GB ports.  It does not have any built in wifi, but is intended to connect to one if you want a wifi LAN.  I have no idea what kind of deal T-Mobile offers to connect these devices, but do not see why they would charge any more than they do for their own box or a cell line.  Being a NETGEAR box, I assume it is fully programmable for your needs.

Hope that helps.

• chuckthinks

T-Mobile's posted LTE hotspot plans max at 22GB per month high-speed, then unlimited 3G, for $85 per month.  The rolling out of their Home Internet service at a fixed initial rate of $50 unlimited 4G data might change that.  Negotiate.

• therefillman

Thank you, so much, for the added input and ideas.

We figured out a workaround for the "double-natting" by using Counterpath's

Bria5 softphones (that doesn't solve our Polycom issue, but, the goal was

to be able to communicate, first and foremost, so it has made the issue of

making the Polycom phones work much lower on the list of priorities.)

The interesting thing about the first Netgear device I looked at is it has

an antenna input on it.  We are in the boonies and though the closest

towers aren't far away, they are a few miles and with the T-Mobile device

not having an external antenna connection the signal is 2 - 3 bars at best

(out of 5) so that, alone, might make it worth buying and experimenting

with.

Thank you, again, for the additional input.  Very much appreciated.

Duane

• chuckthinks

Glad my non-expert idea may help you.  You mentioned a problem with Polycom.  Were you using a Polycom phone or a VoIP adapter like the Obi200 which I bought.  What were the problems you had?  T-Mobile Home Internet support told me they did get a MagicJack to work on their box.  Not clear if that supports Google Voice without a lot of SIP(?) setup.  MagicJack's own VoIP support cost about $30 to $40 a year depending on how you buy it.

• networkdaemon

Received firmware revision 93353 over the past few days.  Unfortunately, it does not address the Bridge / Double NAT issues.  I have patched together a temporary solution by deferring some services to the LTE Gateway by using custom settings on my primary Wi-Fi router (DD-WRT powered).  I am assured that the T-Mobile Home Internet team has been aware of these limitations of the LTE Gateway for a while and intends to release a solution at some point.  As I would expect, the team is pretty cagey and very open-ended in regard to timelines of those efforts.

• radioredwest

I visited a friend with T-Mobile who has an LTE modem, Netgear LB2120, and it works with her phone's SIM card. I saw her remove it from the phone, put it in the modem, put the modem in bridge mode, and plug the modem into an external wifi router. Speed seemed decent though I didn't measure it.

• magenta10330234

If you look at the original post, it says this post has been resolved.  I don't think so!  Although I have an invite and this would be great, my phone and home automation would turn into a complicated mess IF I could get it to work at all.

it looks like they are making this solution for the non-technical and those without any home automation.  Plug and play as long as you only use your phone/laptop to browse the internet.

They are totally missing the point.  The early adopters to a new technology ARE the technical people!  Those not willing to get their hands dirty and try something new will stay with cable and continue to complain.

• endeavour1701

magenta10330234 wrote:

If you look at the original post, it says this post has been resolved. I don't think so! Although I have an invite and this would be great, my phone and home automation would turn into a complicated mess IF I could get it to work at all.

it looks like they are making this solution for the non-technical and those without any home automation. Plug and play as long as you only use your phone/laptop to browse the internet.

They are totally missing the point. The early adopters to a new technology ARE the technical people! Those not willing to get their hands dirty and try something new will stay with cable and continue to complain.

I totally agree with your statement.

I was really excited about it. But at the end, the fact that there is no bridge mode is totally pointless.

It's not the first time they do not understand the home usage. Like for the eSim, they thought we just want to play with it, without understand the benefit. At least, this is what all the people we can have access to were thinking. Wondering if they know what they are doing...

In this matter, I would agree that early adopters might be the tech people, people who are seeking more than just browsing the internet.

But in reality, I think tech people are a minority. Very sad.

Tech people are also the one talking about good tech. And here, we are talking how bad it is as soon as you ask for more than browsing.

A bridging mode is kind of basic feature for this type of device.

Maybe they do not care about bad advertising.

If one day they update their device, I may consider switching. But so far, I've talking 6 coworkers and 2 friends out of this offer.