voicemail notifications

reeree726reeree726

Does anyone have the issue of an app icon notification not appearing when I have new voicemail message in the enhanced voicemail feature (NOTE 9)? Everything is set up correctly in settings.

All replies

• syaoran

I haven't had any issues with it.  Are you on the latest firmware and do you have the latest version of the T-Mobile Visual Voicemail app? 

• tmo_chris

Re: voicemail notifications

Just checking in here to see how things are going. Did you get a chance to check to see if your T-Mobile VVM app was updated?

• reeree726reeree726

Yes, everything is updated

• tronguy123

There was a trick to this after the upgrade to Android Pie. I remember that I wasn't getting notifications. I'm not sure, but I think I uninstalled, then reinstalled visual voice mail. On the reinstall (or whatever it was I did)  I distinctly remember that, during the reinstall, it wanted permissions to send and receive text free text messages, this being, apparently, how it worked.

Before this change, I could sync the app and get messages on it; after the change, it would pop up notifications the moment a message got left.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • tmo_chris

Hey reeree726reeree726

Thanks for replying back. Are you able to uninstall and reinstall the app updates?

• reeree726reeree726

I do not have an option for "free" text messages, just the text message you have to pay $4/month

• tronguy123

Reree729reeree726: I don't remember the exact wording, but the impression I had was that the app needed permission to receive and send text messages, and that any such text messages would be free; that is, if you had a plan that charged for texts, the messages sent to and fro by the visual voicemail app wouldn't count and one wouldn't be charged for them.

I honestly didn't pay too much attention to the wording once I got the gist of what it was talking about since I'm on a T-Mobile One plan where texts are unlimited. But, having said that, I've got two questions:

1. First, have you gotten an allow/deny message along those lines when reinstalling the app? If not, maybe that permission is set to Deny, and your reinstalls haven't changed that, possibly explaining your current predicament.
                            2. Second, yup, I'm on a T-mobile One plan and you're not. Maybe T-mobile's system freaks out for some buggy reason and that explains what's gone wrong.

So, don't know which way it is: in one case it's buried in the phone settings somewhere: in the other case it sounds like T-mobile provisioning error or software.

• reeree726reeree726

Chris, everything was uninstalled and reinstalled several times.  Caches were cleared and several other things which I don't even remember.  They just ordered me a new phone since nobody could figure out the problem.  The last time a Tmobile expert tried to leave me a message, it pushed a previous message (from 3 days prior) through again.  It was ironic because this message was from a tmobile expert also.  Never received her message from Wednesday, April 17th yet. If I do receive this message, it always happens late at night, like 1:30 or 2:00 am.  Nothing like your phone waking you up with 4-day old messages in the middle of the night.

• tmo_chris

That makes it sound more like a coverage related issue. Like, the phone is not getting the coverage it needs to receive the messages/notification and they all pile in when it does. Do you notice that this happens more often when you are in a specific area?

• reeree726reeree726

Chris, I thought the same thing.  It's not.  I was working for a couple of days out of town.  It did the same thing there.  Currently, I thought I finally had a resolution to the problem.  I was supposed to get a new sim card and then do a warranty exchange.  T-mobile's rep I spoke with on the phone told me to go to the store, get a new sim card, see if it works.  It didn't.  Next step was to have the T-mobile store order a warranty exchange.  They did and it came in yesterday.  I spent over 1.5 hrs. at the store trying to get everything set with the T-mobile expert.  At one point, he turned over my old phone and saw a little crack on the back of my Note 9.  He said I could not do a warranty exchange now because of the crack, which has been there since I opened the box it came in the day after I purchased it. I went back to the store when I saw the crack and they blamed the entire thing on me.  This was the first time I even laid hands on this phone and they are telling me I dropped it.  Total B.S.  I walked out of the store fuming but thought, at least it was on the back and it would not bother me. So back to the current dilemma.  The tech who recommended the sim card and warranty exchange should have asked if there was any damage on my phone.  I am at my wit's end.  The T-mobile rep said last night that it looks like it was working.  I just laughed.  Just because 1 or 2 messages come through in a timely fashion doesn't mean it's working.  I had messages that didn't come through today already and I do not have any notifications for the Visual Voicemails now.  Before, it was only the enhanced VM that didn't have any notifications.  Do you call this working?  I surely do not.  I asked to speak to a supervisor today.  Her name was Jessica and that was a joke. She said my only options were to speak with the T-mobile techs again.  I already spoke with 4 of them for several hours and they came to the conclusion it's the phone.  Next option was to upgrade my phone.  First of all, you must have a trade in and the back of my phone has a crack.  Third, is to get my phone's crack fixed through the insurance and then do a warranty exchange.  I told Jessica if she wants to pay the $175 deductible for the insurance claim, I can go that route, but I refuse to pay for it because the crack is on the back and has no impact on my use of the phone.  It's a T-mobile app which isn't working for thousands of people, so if they can't figure out how to fix it, don't make your customers suffer for your inadequacies.  T-mobile should pay for anything that will make their faulty app work properly.  She said T-Mobile can't pay for anything which is a bunch B.S. also.  She had the be the worse Customer Service Supervisor I ever dealt with ever.  Not one thing was resolved today. Sorry to lay all this on you, Chris.  I just want everyone else to be able to read it. 

• tmo_chris

I am very sorry you have had to go through so much trouble in all of this reeree726reeree726. Exchanging the phone is usually a last case scenario but not something I would think would need to happen with an intermittent type of issue. The crack on the back could be from a drop or a bend or something hitting it hard but it's not something that would cause intermittent notification issues.

I believe the next course of action here is actually a network support ticket. Our engineers will be able to see what happens with the notifications sent from the network to your device and will be able to tell if it is the network that is not delivering them or if the network is actually delivering them and the phone is not receiving them for some reason which would indicate an issue with the phone. For this, you would need to call us so our techs over the phone can gather information about your account as we are unable to do so securely here on a public forum.