How to revert back to Oreo on Note8

woolster22

Hello!

I unfortunately downloaded the feature removing and function destroying update that is the OneUI android Pie update. Among the list of problems:

Can't remove Bixby from the bixby button.

Cant see anything in notification panel. Used to get a line plus, then a few lines of a message on tap w/ option to reply theough notification panel. Now i get 3/4 of a line, and some heavy borders, plus some garbage buttons when i tap (that offer supposedly new old features) . Pay attention, this is a trend!

Lockscreen is a useless joke. Used to get messages and relevant info there. Now i get app icons that need to be pressed. How is this an upgrade when i have gloves on?

Recents is such a poorly thought out redesign i shouldn't have to explain it. This one ticks me off so much, im honestly considering Verizon again, because if you (yes tmo, you share a lot of blame for releasing this) had any clue, at a minimum, you would WARN EVERYONE THAT THE RECENTS PAGE IS USELESS IN COMPARISON TO WHAT IT WAS. There is no way any able minded person w/o trump hands can tell me they honestly think the new recents is anything but a massive downgrade.

Consider this:

Im scrolling through amazon shopping (app), comparing info on various items (browser), checking my bank account, and have messages coming in and out.

Before, it didnt matter what i was doing when the message came in, i could read it in my notifications and decide from there.

Now, thanks to the fact we dont even get 1 line of text, i pull down notifications but instead of just seeing what the heck was said i need to click on the message and open it. Guess what! This lags! Then, once i decide i dont want to reply and get back to whatever i was doing, i need to pull up recents and individually page theough each app before i find the one i want. Before i would have read the message, swiped left, then closed with an upswipe.

Inexcusable.

All replies

• snn555

Re: How to revert back to Oreo on Note8

woolster22 wrote:

Recents is such a poorly thought out redesign i shouldn't have to explain it. This one ticks me off so much, im honestly considering Verizon again, because if you (yes tmo, you share a lot of blame for releasing this) had any clue, at a minimum, you would WARN EVERYONE THAT THE RECENTS PAGE IS USELESS IN COMPARISON TO WHAT IT WAS. There is no way any able minded person w/o trump hands can tell me they honestly think the new recents is anything but a massive downgrade.

Look, Tmo doesn't write Samsung's software.  Also, Tmo and Samsung can't please everyone and some people might like what another doesn't, so neither would know what you like to warn you about it.

Also, Verizon issued the same update to their Samsung's.  Also not VZW's fault.

• woolster22

How isn't there some blame to kay at their feet? We heard their reps cite the exact process of approving maker provided software updates prior to over the air distro when queationed about the rumored pending release. They literally claimed this was a settings organization improvement. No mention of various literal physical functional changes to the device or inherent heavy use operations on a device targeting purported "power users." To further back your ignorant claim you point at verizons release of the downgrade. That is something to be expected from Big Red, but to see Magenta handling the issue by pointing at the device maker is an incredibly disappointing corporate washing of the hands that plays off as an about face from the #uncarrier mantra.

• tmo_mike_c

Sorry to hear the software isn't to your liking. The functionality changes in software updates are is something that comes more from the developers side other than the carrier. Of course we appreciate the feedback on this, but I'm unable to guarantee changes like that will be changed. I will pass this feedback to the right on our internal teams.

• woolster22

If you can't offer a simple return to proven performance, then you need to do a better job testing. Its inexcusable how bad these changes compound themselves performing what used to be simple actions to quickly fl io p between apps and access new incoming data. You guys (TMo) claimed during the run up to the ota update that part of the delay was testing the update. If that was really the case, i want to know what rehab facility your testers have been entered in, and whether they have been taught how to communicate effectively yet. There is no way you can call this anything but an example of change for the sake of change. These poorly implememnted and executed changes were pushed to devices whose target demographic is described as "power users." There is no explanation for how many levels of business failed miserably here. Im sure the dev team nailed efficiency targets, it couldnt have taken more than ten minutes to clone the iCrap experience.

• syaoran

If you truly want to revert back to Oreo.  I wrote a guide for flashing firmware here.  Just search for it.  You can also visit XDA-Developers Note 8 section for links, guudes, and plenty of informatiin on how to return your device to Oreo.

• woolster22

Im well aware of the ability to void any warranties and flash whatever on my phone. While this was all well and good when i was younger, i have two kids and no time to be soent fussing with that nonsense.

Thankfully, my warranty replacement wasn't ruined with the update yet. There was a pretty useful app on the samsung store called good lock. It fixed many of my qualms, but is a 3rd party solution to google/samsungs braindead thought process and implimentation.

It's shocking that such a poorly functioning update, that changes processes so drastically what was once a simple couple swipes is now a search and destroy mission, was actually deployed and nobody saw the problems coming. The unawareness required to pull that off is worrisome, and tmo's position of "sorry you dont like their update," is anything but the #Uncarrier behavior and customer support we've all come to know and love. If they can't defend it, they probably shouldn't be pushing it as an update that they dont offer a reversal for (and this is a crock of dog doo, if the packages are available on xda, they can easily push something with their resources).  It really is diaturbing that all TMo can give anyone is "Sorry to hear that, but it isn't our fault, we took a note though!"

• ellejay55

Whose bright idea was it to take away our ability to see our messages with out having to press the icon. This is so stupid.  Please CHANGE IT BACK!!!

• magenta8327840

I read the notes on the update notification. "One UI brings you Android Pie, with exciting new features and a whole new look and feel based on feedback from users in Samsung and Google." I agree with you that this update was pushed on their users at large with no consideration for those who were excited by the old look and feel. To me this looks more Apple-esque than anything else. It seems as though someone picked up the previous version and shook it. It reminds me of the so called improvements that they make to your Office suite of tools. For example, when I was just getting a feel for Word 2010 when it was time to move into the 2013 release and everything seemed different. I carry a Note 8 at work and a Note 8 for my personal use. This update was essentially forced on me at work but I have NO intention of performing this update on my personal phone until something is done about these adolescent feature updates. I think that much of what I'm seeing on this update didn't need to be done and that it was all under the pretense of something new but not exactly 'exciting.' With regard to a statement that I read above,

Look, Tmo doesn't write Samsung's software.  Also, Tmo and Samsung can't please everyone and some people might like what another doesn't, so neither would know what you like to warn you about it.

This is also true but this update could have been devised in a manner that allowed some of us to keep things as they were while others, namely those more techie people, could have tweaked to their heart's content. Petty though it may seem one of the things that I hate most is that the time stamp at the very top of the display has been moved from the right corner to the left on my work phone which happens to be through Verizon. I HATE that. I for one am not the most tech savvy individual and this particular change is tantamount to the blinking 12:00 on my parent's VCR. They were absolutely stumped as to how to correct it. We're creatures of habit and are accustomed to things being in their place. This may seem a petty point to make but it annoys me. Regardless of where you lay the blame, you have an annoyed customer T-Mobile. And when the notification reads 'T-Mobile has sent you a new software update for your device...' where do you think I'm going to go with my grievances? This may be another example of the way things are going to be and we'll simply have to deal with it but hopefully they have or will have received enough negative feedback that someone will do something about it and correct this steaming pile of an update with a new and hopefully more comprehensive update.

• magenta8327840

I almost forgot...

I HATE the Bixby button also.

• ellejay55

I appreciate your response so much because I hate the “time“ being on the top left side too. I thought I would get use to this change but every time I receive a notification, I get annoyed. I will continue to voice my gripes on the T-Mobile site because this feedback can be relayed to Samsung as well. I will also visit the Samsung website. Everyone who has seen this “great new” update thinks the notification part is ridiculous. If this isn’t changed back soon, I will be changing my phone for the first time ever to IPhone.

• syaoran

Samsung does have a forum as well.  Whether or not they listen to feedback, depends on your prospective.  If people think Android P is bad.  Wait until Android Q transforms our devices even closer to iOS clones. 

• ellejay55

I’m on the Samsung community forum now. And if need be, I will contact them via phone, IG, Twitter, or Facebook. Hell, I might write a good old fashion letter.  I do believe they care about feedback since they are in such close competition with I phone.  Now whether they will do something about it, is a whole other story. But being silent guarantees nothing will be done.