LG V30 1MB limit

jtb045

I just upgraded from an S7 edge to a LG V30. My S7 allowed me to send pictures and videos up to 100mb via the messaging app. Does the LG V30 not have that capability? It makes me resize everything down to 1mb. Can someone help? Thanks in advance

All replies

• gramps28

Re: LG V30 1MB limit

If you're using the stock messaging app you need to go into the apps setting, select advanced and then adjust

the size of the file or picture quality you want to send.

• jtb045

Thanks....did that now 10mb is the max. That is better but the old s7would do up to 100. Does LG just limit it or did my old S7 have a higher limit

• gramps28

I'm not sure on that but I use Textra and I can set it to "carrier has no limit" and send

any size of file.

The difference must be the in the stock messaging app that LG and Samsung use.

• snn555

The reason you could send up to 100 MB files is because that phone was equipped with RCS.

Advanced messaging allows up to 10MB.

The carrier limit is 10MB without RCS.

Still though, most everything will get resized down to 1MB or less.

A carrier's limit is imposed no matter what app you use.

Basically what you want is what we all want but it is a waiting game until RCS universal profile 2.0 is released.  Right now a few phones on T-Mobile have 1.0. but they can only send to other capable phones and receive the same.

1.0 is a carcarrie version. 2.0 is truly universal made by Google.

• tidbits

snn555 wrote:

The reason you could send up to 100 MB files is because that phone was equipped with RCS.

Advanced messaging allows up to 10MB.

The carrier limit is 10MB without RCS.

Still though, most everything will get resized down to 1MB or less.

A carrier's limit is imposed no matter what app you use.

Basically what you want is what we all want but it is a waiting game until RCS universal profile 2.0 is released. Right now a few phones on T-Mobile have 1.0. but they can only send to other capable phones and receive the same.

1.0 is a carcarrie version. 2.0 is truly universal made by Google.

Negative on that one.  Universal Profile can be 1.0 to 2.2 as GSMA development and are backwards compatible(not all services).

Google offers Jibe which is those Host server the offer.  Samsung does the same thing when hosting.  T-Mobile is choosing to use their own servers for RC. can understand why T-Mobile is doing it.  Any average person would blame T-Mobile if something happens to services even if outside of T-Mobile control.  So they are choosing to use their own servers for RCS instead of servers offered by Samsung or Google.

Here's Google link to Jibe and as it shows

By aligning on the GSMA's universal RCS profile - with the Messages RCS client app - carriers can now provide RCS messaging across the Android ecosystem.

https://www.gsma.com/newsroom/press-release/global-operators-google-and-the-gsma-align-behind-adoption-of-rcs/

• snn555

TL;DR

LG V30 does not support larger than 10MB files.

With Advanced Messaging, it can support up to 10MB files.  AM has been around for years.  Recent Samsung phones on Tmo can use RCS (100mb) via updates.  I have not seen any other RCS capable device yet.

The Tmo 1+6T touts verbiage of RCS.  Yet it compresses every file to less than 1MB.  What Tmo meant to call this was Advanced Messaging, but the term "RCS" was used instead. And AM still doesn't work for those users using the stock messaging app.  Neither AM nor RCS work with any app other than stock.  This is because Tmo has to put it into a stock update.

Even still, any phone can only send/receive 10/100MB files if the other user is a Tmo customer using a phone with the same capabilities.

• tidbits

Actually T-Mobile needs to whitelist their servers.  There is only a handful of devices which supports Universal Profile out of the box.  If OEMs removed UP code out of Android for T-Mobile Advanced messaging then they did their customers a disservice.  They do not conflict with each other.  T-Mobile does get overzealous when advertising some of their services I give you that.  From what I can see they haven't "pulled the switch" and only a handful of their devices are being tested.  T-Mobile did say they were going to flip that switch(remove listing) in Q2, and we are nearing the end of Q2.   At the pace they are working I having a feeling sometime in Q4 they'll actually do it.

• tmo_mike_c

I do see you've gotten a lot of helpful advice already. I'll just add that both device use Advanced Messaging but the difference is the S7 Edge has the Universal Profile (UP 1.0). With the additional of UP 1.0, the S7 Edge has the advantage of being able to send larger file sizes up to 100 MB.

• jtb045

I appreciate the feedback! Thank you for all of the information