Band 12 just gone in my area

magenta2902600

I live in a rural part of Texas and for the last year or so relied on band 12 coverage around my home.  I have installed band 12 repeaters in my home so that I could use my phone.  A couple of days ago band 12 just disappeared.  I called support last night and was escalated to an engineer that told me band 12 was fine in my area and made me reset my phones mobile network settings even though I have 3 devices and none of them detect band 12.  I use the LTE Discovery App and Open Signal on all of my devices and none of them detect band 12 from any of the three cell towers I sit in the middle of.  Out in my yard I can detect a band 2 tower off in the distance but zero band 12.   Someone needs to tell me something soon or I will need to change carriers because there is no since having a phone that doesn't work.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Band 12 just gone in my area

Have you driven to your nearest tower to see if a 700 MHz signal shows up? Parts of Texas just experienced some bad weather. Could it have knocked some antennas out of alignment? This might not show on the engineers' monitoring system.

• syaoran

Or some new form of interferemce.preventing the band 12 from reaching to where it once did. 

What devices does the OP have and have they received any updates around when this issue began?  Have they tried using CellMapper to reinforce the LTE Discovery data?

• magenta2902600

I know where the three towers are that "were" transmitting on band 12 are.  The one in Colmesnel is  still transmitting band 12 but its situated in a place where it does no good for me.  The one that I was getting service from in Woodville is not transmitting 12 at least not anywhere in my direction.    It was completely down the first day this started.  Now it appears to just be transmitting Band 2.

• landonloco

Is the service service worse with band 2 or it's similar it might be that they moved the band 12 cell to other spot same thing happened in my house they moved away the band 4/66 cell and moved the band 2 now I get really strong band 2 signal but crap band 4 signal it's good and bad thing bad cuz band 2 only runs at 5x5mzh and good cuz I get better signal.

• magenta2902600

No, the service is not better on Band 2.  One of the main reasons for Band 12, especially in rural areas, is reach.  The tower didn't move any closer to my house.  The band 2 at my house is a single bar and flaky.  The band 12 worked just fine for over a year and now nothing.

• drnewcomb2

The two sites you mention are now shown in CellMapper.net as having bands 2, 12 & 71.  CellMapper tends to accumulate and hold information. So, they'll show band additions but not deletions. They do show that band 12 signals were present on the two sites on 31 Mar, which is the first date that band 71 was reported. Now, I seriously doubt that T-Mobile would remove band 12 from a rural site when they initiate band 71. If this came up around the end of March, I suspect it might have had something to do with turning on band 71. (Just my WAG)

I understand about your band 12 repeaters but can your phone receive band 71?

• magenta2902600

I have a t-mobile Galaxy Note 9 and according to 4G LTE Band Compatible Devices | T-Mobile   its compatible with 600MHz extended range service.  Band 71 is not detected on my property anywhere.

• magenta2902600

So,  I did some walking around my property mapping things given some of the comments in the thread.  I can detect Band 71 although its unusable at my front door when putting the phone in service mode.  It says it has a bw of 5MHz.  put the I cant connect to the internet when the phone is connected to it.  I have to be connected to band 2 to get any internet at all.  LTE Discovery is evidently not seeing this signal at all.  I wonder if there is an issue with band 71 and LTE Discovery.

• syaoran

LTE Discovery has not been reliable with band 71.  It is a known issue and has been for a while.  That is why I switched to Cell Mapper.

Service on band 71 might not be rolled out through those specific towers for service as of yet.  It is a possibility that those tranzmitters might be for future home internet service delivery. 

• drnewcomb2

I suspect that what happened is that when band 71 was turned on, the overall power level or link margin of band 12 was reduced. This may be to either a decrease in the output power of the base station, a change in antenna orientation or some increase in the noise level at the base station. The way I would report this is, "I used to have usable service at this location but X weeks ago it stopped working. What changed and can you fix it?"

• tmo_mike_c

I'm seeing Band 12 is available in the general Woodville area. In order to narrow down what may be going on, we'll need to have our Care folks file a Service Complaint for the exact address you're noticing the issue. That'll help our engineers investigate what's going on.

• magenta2902600

Sorry for not updating sooner.  Band 12 from the tower that is located in Woodville magically came back online TODAY.   When I called support if they had said to me something like, "yes its down and we expect it to be down for X number of days," I would have been totally satisfied and not worried.  Instead they told me it was up and running and it must be my phone (all three of them at the same time) and ultimately its you not us.  So for the first time in the years that I have been a T-mobile customer I am very disappointed in customer service.

• drnewcomb2

Keep in mind that there are some faults that don't immediately show up on the engineers' monitors at HQ. Someone may have to go out and examine the equipment to see that it's not working properly. One example is an antenna that's been physically knocked out of alignment. I know. I've called customer service and tried to explain that, after a storm, a panel on one of T-Mobile's towers was aimed about 20º down compared to its companion. The CSR first had no idea how to handle the call, assumed I was an idiot, etc, etc. It was only when I got through to Tech Support that I was able to talk to someone who realized I knew what I was talking about. 

• tmo_mike_c

Wow, that's a bummer this happened. Normally if there's a tower being worked on and there is an ETR, that'll be listed for us to tell you. I am glad that it's working now so thanks for keeping us posted.