first thing is first. To move those lines off of their original plan to a new plan with a new carrier you have to own those lines. So you would need to do a transfer of ownership for any line on a different carrier or plan.
once that has been done you both can go to a T-Mobile store with the lines that you each own and have those ported over so that you keep your number.
Welcome to our Support Community! It's always good to have all this info beforehand because it really does make for an easier transition to a new carrier.
- Yes, you can keep your same phone number as long as the AT&T account owner gives permission for this. I've never had AT&T, but generally speaking, the account owner must call customer service and authorize you to take that specific phone number.
- No, you'll want to keep all phone numbers active during the transfer process in order to keep the same number. Canceling your lines prior to creating an account together may cause some headaches.
- If your fiance is going to be the account holder, he'll need to be the one to initiate the change of responsibility with T-Mobile first, then you'll want to move your line to the new account under his name. If you're going to be the account holder, you can get your number ported over first and then add his line whenever it's convenient for the both of you.
- This kind of goes back to the answer I gave for #1 -- this likely isn't required as long as you have permission from AT&T to port the number over to us.
Here are a few helpful links on transferring service:
- Transfer your phone number to T-Mobile - This is helpful info for your line.
- Transfer account or line ownership - Things to know when your fiance is moving his line between two different T-Mobile accounts.
Please let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to answer them.