Traveling to UK & France

kivel

I will be going in 2 weeks.  Last time I was in Europe I used T-Mobile Sim and found that the 2g data rate was too slow to use for some needs.  Example using phone for directions.  My phone is eligible to be unlocked and I was thinking of getting a Sim Only plan from a carrier while in the UK.  Don't know which carrier, but I want one that can also be used in France.  I would like to hear from anyone who has done this.  Is there any disadvantages that I may not be aware of. What carrier worked for you in both the UK & France.

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Re: Traveling to UK & France

EE and Vodafone are the biggies in UK (and I use "biggie" in the fact I've heard of them vs the other list when I just googled UK cell providers).

You might get some luck with their forums.  They know their plans and offerings than we would.  Not saying someone might pop in here with some experience you're looking for, but it's easier to go to sources.

• drnewcomb2

Re: Traveling to UK & France

I found the "2G speed" data to be completely adequate in Ireland last Spring. I preloaded Google Maps of the areas we planned to visit over WiFi to reduce the amount of data to be downloaded via cellular.

One good source of info on European SIMs is prepaidgsm.net. Does your phone have European LTE bands? What model phone are you using.