Does T-Mobile have access to CellMapper app data?

snn555

I often wonder if T-Mobile uses other sources to verify their network coverage. We all know about Open Signal, Rootmetrics, Sensorly, and Ookla and how everybody uses them to prove their speed or coverage over another carrier.

Obviously those are company products and cellmapper is a developers app, but with such a large crowd sourced database of information does T-Mobile take a look at anything like that be it officially or unofficially?

For instance I've used the app most everywhere I go on a regular basis at least several times to build a pattern. I have found many areas where I had good to great signal where the T-Mobile coverage maps say I should have none. Obviously this is a much more accurate description of the network and we also know that the coverage maps are generally outdated and not very accurate along the outside borders of proposed coverage.

CellMapper has really helped me prove to naysayers that coverage in some rural areas is actually much better than they thought because they were going on the information from T-Mobile official coverage maps.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

I think T-Mobile's "customer facing" departments may be exercising a sort of willful ignorance:

Image result for image hear see speak no evil

• tmo_chris

The verified coverage area is a collection of anonymous data collected from customers phones daily and incorporated into our map. The speed test scores are driven from the Ookla database.  

• snn555

So data collected anonymously from customers' phones would be location information collected from the T-Mobile app?

The Ookla database would be speed results from customers who use Ookla speed test app?

So the results from the T-Mobile app and the Ookla speedtest app are combined to make a map that shows where there is coverage based upon strength and then in each hex that has been verified as having coverage, Ookla is responsible for the speed results in that hex?

Seems like if most everyone has the T-Mobile app and fewer have the Ookla speed test app, the T-Mobile app would have all the diagnostic tools necessary to be all in one vs two separate apps where one adoption rate is much higher than the other.

Sounds like everybody needs to run both apps for the most information and best results.

• snn555

sorry I forgot to respond back to this thread because of the inbox issue. However the answer to the question is yes TMobile does have access to the same information we all have through the app.

Cellmapper does not disclose the data details however they do supply maps and information from trusted users that anyone can access.

• snn555

So I finally got some answers from a knowledgeable representative last night on t Force. It seems that T-Mobile uses the T-Mobile app to ping or test one time every 90 days. They encourage users to use ookla speed test app however none of that information is actually contributed to the coverage map but is only used for bragging rights in commercials.

So the question would be exactly how efficient is one test every 3 months depending on the time of day, network congestion, location of test? Also it will test one time per new tower you connect to. So it's not exactly scientific or in-depth but that's the best answer I have received so far.

• snn555

Re: Does T-Mobile have access to CellMapper app data?

This is why I think it would be very helpful as an opt in preference to have some sort of network testing feature within the app so that when you are in a place with service or if you're in an area without service you can record data to upload later or when signal is available. This would be much more efficient than one time every 90 days.

I mean I fully understand that some people would just overload with information but but too much information is more information than no information or at least extremely limited information.