So, been a while, what's in your playlist now?

snn555

It's been a long while since we had a music discussion .

Whathcu hearin right this second?

(Work chatter and child noise is exempt)

Me: Ghost (BC) "Dance Macabre"

All replies

• snn555

Re: So, been a while, what's in your playlist now?

Tastes change, not for me really, but I get into those phases. Been a lot of Fat of the Land tracks since Keith Flint passed, Dio, Godsmack, Ghost, Manson (GAOG and back)....that's just 2019 so far.

• dc5fan

My tastes haven't changed for forty years. The songs I listened to when I was 12 are still my favourites. So I was listening to the Dave Clark 5, the Beatles, and most of the British Invasion. At that time when I returned back to the States there were the Surf bands like the Beach Boys and Jan & Dean. I played in country bands starting in '67 like Buck Owens, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, and others. I don't want to forget the female singers Patsy Cline, Tammy Wynette, Dusty Springfield, Cilla Black, and others in that time. There is one band I liked that were from Florida in the early '90's, The Mavericks. There are more genres.

• gramps28

I just recently moved from Illinois to Arizona and I streamed music from a playlist I made that was loaded up with

Journey, Foreigner, Nightranger, Bad Company, Seger, Kansas and 3 Doors Down sprinkled in with some other songs.

When I drove through Arkansas I played Johnny Cash's greatest hit as I went through his birth state.

• dc5fan

The bands you just listed may I ask what was your age at that time? My reason is back in the late '70's I read an article from a Billboard magazine that peoples' likes for music happened around when they were 15 or 16. I was 11 when the family moved to the UK for 22 months. At that time I really wasn't too much on music. Around 1944 or so my Dad really liked the Glenn Miller Orchestra. He was 16. About 1962 I was listening to Billy Vaughn, and later to bands like that by 1967 while in high school.

I would be curious hearing out of snn555 too.

• snn555

Good question.

The first tape I ever listened to was my mother's bruce-springsteen-born-in-the-usa. The first song I can ever remember hearing was West end girls by the pet shop boys.

I had a couple year stint with country music such as Travis tritt Clint Black Aaron tippin and even some Billy Joe Royal.

I didn't really listen to anything until I was probably about 11 years old when I bought aerosmith's greatest hits. I had no idea between tapes and CDs other than CDs cost twice as much as tapes. So with what little bit of money I had from washing cars and doing chores with my $1 a week allowance I picked up aerosmith's type because it's all I knew at the time.  after all if I was buying something that took two and a half months to buy I was getting something I knew I liked.

Shortly thereafter (13) I was introduced to bands like Megadeth and Metallica and things progressed forward  (18) into industrial metal and then (23) into ebm and some other fusion music that incorporated theater metal and electronica.

Hip hop and rap has never really been my bag.

• dc5fan

Hey! I've been there! When I became a freshman (am I allowed to say that anymore?) I was given about $2.50 a week for lunch. At the time I was living in NCO Base Housing at Chanute AFB. Instead of eating lunch I was able to buy an album every week. However, I had to figure out how to sneak the album past my Mom. This went on for all the high school years. My Mom just could not figure out why I was so hungry coming home from school. The albums were bought from the Base Exchange. They were $2.39 per album. By 1967 I had my first drumset, and would make $25-30 playing about once or twice a week. And, if my grades suffered I would have to quit playing.

• snn555

Talkin about sneaking music past a mother, that was my main objective at one point too.

I got caught up in that whole Columbia House 10 CDs for a penny or some such business.

I went to go visit my dad for the weekend and we went to the mall and I went into the local record bar, Liverpool records, Camelot music, something like that and picked up Pantera's latest album titled Far Beyond Driven.  Complete with Parental Advisory label.

I think my dad sold me out because I told him what I was buying but he told my mother that I told him I had gone to the bookstore to buy a book. I knew the jig was up and I had been thrown under the bus because as soon as I walked in the door from weekend visitation back at my mother's she said, "Give me the tape."

So she and my stepfather went through all of my music deciding what I could keep and what I could not. Everything with a PA label obviously was a no-go and anything with a questionable album cover was also no. I literally wound up with the only CD I could listen to was aerosmith's greatest hits.

so I learned the fine art of taking blank cassettes and recording my favorite radio station for 30 to 45 minutes every night with the volume all the way down and then reviewing that music the next day and dubbing the songs I wanted on to another blank cassette on my dual deck stereo.

This went on for quite some time and eventually I got all of my music back but where there's a will there's a way.

• dc5fan

Hey! I'm havin' a blast (from the past). In '63 my Dad bought a Grundig Majestic stereo. It was in a 4' teak wood console. It had an automatic record player, a radio with AM, FM, Short Wave, and Marine Band radios. Oh yeah, a reel-to-reel tape deck! At the time it was the cat's meow! In the UK they 59 cycles instead of 60 cycles like we do here in the States. If any of us kids even touched it we could see restriction (that was a military term) for a month. Out of 6 kids I was the only one who was wide-eyed and bushy-tailed that had an interest. There was a British kid in our block (his dad was in the Royal Air Force. He had the first two British LPs of the Beatles (Please Please Me and With The Beatles). They were in monaural, not stereo. My dad taped them for me, and if I wanted to listen to the tape he would set it up for me. Dad had a Calrad stereo headphones. They were quite bulky to wear and uncomfortable. Two years later he finally showed me how to use the Grundig. It was a Rite Of Passage. This is the time I got real interested in Billy Vaughn. Vaughn's music is a little like Welk's only I felt Vaughn was a little more pop than Welk's. I do thank you for all your info.

• dc5fan

That should have read 50 cycles, not 59.

• gramps28

Born in the early 60's and was indoctrinated with the music from the Lawrence Welk show from my parents which is probably why my music taste

veered the way it did.

In the 70's like every young male Kiss was the band.

In the 80's I got into some of the speed metal of Megadeth, Yngwie Malmsteen , Hellowen and etc..

I was just recently asked what my favorite band was and I listen to a variety of music and it just depends on the day but Journey is one I can listen

to anytime.

• dc5fan

Lawrence Welk? I'm not laughing as I have one song by Welk. It is called "Calcutta". That was in 1963. At the RAF base where we lived we had a Base Teen Club. I used to stay REAL close to a great sounding jukebox. There was another song which wound up as my first instrumental. It was called "Telstar" by the British group, The Tornadoes. So with this one and CALCUTTA I love instrumentals. Country kicked in in 1967-1975. The same years go for rock, too. Thank you for your info.

• gramps28

We didn't have cable so all we got was OTA channels and being the #4 of 5 kids I go stuck watching what my

parents or older siblings wanted to watch or go outside and play sports so I did that when weather permitted.

• dc5fan

Yep, been there done that! The Dave Clark 5 appeared 18 times on the Ed Sullivan Show. That was on CBS. Guess what was on NBC? Bonanza. Guess who got to see the DC5 during the Bonanza breaks? Me! I got outvoted. Once in awhile I could catch 1-2 minutes of the DC5. When we returned back to the states in June '64 we drove from McQuire AFB, NJ to Louisville. When we got to Louisville I had a talk with my grandmother. Did you like the DC5? Yes, they were well-dressed, and they had a good beat! I learned years later that her, and her mom (my great-grandmother) played piano. That said alot to me.

• snn555

I have just about everything mixed into my primarily Metal-based digital jukebox.

• snn555

Speaking about music in a regional since, around here you best like you some Skynyrd, Hank and Blackfoot.