Network Locked

magenta7976956

Hello,

I recently purchased a TMobile phone off of Craigslist, and when I inserted my SIM card to check the phone everything was working fine. However, about a month later a message appeared on my phone saying my phone was network locked and so when I went to Tmobile's Imei checker, I found that the phone had an outstanding balance. When I went into the TMobile unlock app, however, I saw "your phone has been permanently unlocked for all carriers". Does this mean my phone is blacklisted? Why am I getting contradictory messages from the first network locked message and the app telling me it is already unlocked?

All replies

• syaoran

Re: Network Locked

With a balance still owing on it and being sold.  My guess is, the original owner requested a temporary unlock and sold the device as unlocked.  If they still owe money on the device, hopefully it will get paid off.  If not, then the device might end up blacklisted if their account goes into collections. 

• snn555

you need to contact the seller and verify through some sort of receipt or document that the device has been paid off and that there is no balance. Otherwise the phone will not be able to be used.  The seller will have to pay it off you won't be able to pay the balance on it.  only the original buyer connected to that account will be able to pay off the device.

• snn555

If you are getting service from whoever the carrier is then you're okay for the time being but there is nothing preventing T-Mobile from locking a device that has not been paid off nor can you stop the original owner from blacklisting or reporting the phone lost or stolen because you bought it from them they bought it from T-Mobile. so it's T-Mobile phone first then it's the sellers and then it's yours once the seller pays it off. This really is a matter to take up with the seller.

• magenta7976956

Oh, I completely neglected to mention that I'm actually using my TMobile SIM. This has all been happening with my TMobile SIM inserted, not a different carrier's. Should that happen?

• snn555

well if there's a balance left on the phone then a Sim other than the Sim assigned to the original owner who is still making payments on that phone is inserted it's quite possible it will not work.