Xiaomi Phones

spta100

Hi I'm planning to buy the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7, but before I buy it does anyone know if it is compatible with T-Mobile's network?

I don't know if this is needed but I am from SoCal.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Xiaomi Phones

According to GSMarena.com there are two versions of the Note 7: 48MP & 12MP. The 48MP is for the "Global Market" and the 12 MP is for India. Neither seem suited for use with T-Mobile. The only LTE band listed in their specs that is at all compatible with T-Mobile is band 5. T-Mobile only has band 5 LTE in Myrtle Beach, SC. So, my advice is to avoid this phone. If you have a different model number, feel free to post it.

• spta100

I like Xiaomi phones a lot so are there any xiaomi phones that work well with t mobile?

• drnewcomb2

Using the phone finder on GSMarena.com, I see no Xiaomi phone with band 71 listed. Just MHO but you'd have to be out of your mind to buy a new phone for use with T-Mobile that didn't have band 71. There are nine phones listed with LTE bands 2, 4 & 12, which might be considered good enough in some markets. You can see the results of the search here: https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?sMakers=80&s4Gs=2,4,12

Keep in mind that whenever you BYOD, the usability of the phone is entirely your responsibility. T-Mobile allows BYOD but provides only minimal support for them.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • syaoran

The Mi Mix 3 is a good choice for T-Mobile.  The Global ROM version is easier to get yp and running out of the box but the Chinese ROM firmware requires a lot of extra effort.  If you use dialer code: *#*#86583#*#*  That disables the carrier check and enables VoLTE, which works perfectly. 

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    • syaoran

VoLTE also doesn't show like we normally expect it but it is definitely working.  4G represents LTE and 4G+ represents LTE-A.  You will see one or the other when using VoLTE during a call. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • magenta8531199

according to the Amazon reviews it seems like it works fine on tmobile despite missing 2 bands, i have a few friends with international phones and they never seem to complain on the GSM carriers. you can read the reviews at https://www.amazon.com/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-64GB-Snapdragon/dp/B07Q26V49K/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8#customerRevie…

• magenta2744795

I do not know much about phones but I am using Xiaomi Note 6 Pro Dual Sim on T-Mobile and both SIM are working fine.

Rest is all up to you.

• magenta2744795

Wifi calling is T-mobile's proprietary option only on phone purchased from them. All other phone can't have that option.

• syaoran

That is incorrect!  T-Mobile's implementation of WIFI calling is the stock Android implementation.  However, Xiaomi restricts the IMS settings to actually get it working.  I have quite a few non-T-Mobile devices running stock and custom firmware that work with T-Mobile WiFi Calling. 

• drnewcomb2

As of Android 8, WiFi Calling has been a standard feature of the Android OS. It's also cooked into the OS on all recent iPhones.

We have a Google Nexus 5x, bought directly from Google, and a Moto G7 Power, bought directly from Motorola. Both have WiFi Calling.

• tommfebruary6

Is the Xiaomi Redmi K20 Pro compatible? I'm in the Chicago area, it looks like it has a few bands that T-Mobile uses but wanted to make sure. Thanks

• syaoran

Not really.  Bands 2, 4, 12, and 66 are basically essential with band 71 being a bonus for future proofing. 

https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_k20_pro-9708.php

• drnewcomb2

According to GSMarena.com the K20 Pro has these bands:

2G bands    GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2

3G bands    HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

4G bands    LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)

For use on T-Mobile you need LTE bands 2, 4/66. 12 and 71*. LTE band 5 is used only for roaming and in Myrtle Beach, SC.

*71 will become more necessary as more band 71 sites are deployed.

It looks like you would be stuck on GSM and some 3G with that phone.