Weak signal inside the buildings

vayu

Hello,

I travel almost every week. I recently switched from AT&T to T-Mobile. The significant change i noticed that T-mobile signal is always very weak inside buildings (Hotels, offices, cinema-halls, malls etc.). I had no issues with AT&T, using the same phone (Pixel 2XL unlocked). It becomes very frustrating, when I have to come out to make/receive a call/text or email.

This week, I'm in Seattle (home town for T-mobile), just few miles away from the head-office and facing the same issue in my hotel and in the office. Now, I'm thinking to revert back to AT&T or sign up with Verizon. What is the point to have a service, if it does not work behind the walls.

Is it a known issue with T-mobile?

All replies

• snn555

Re: Weak signal inside the buildings

Location has everything to do with your signal. So it's not a known issue in some areas and it is a known issue in other areas just depends on the location.

I have a great signal and fast speeds even downtown in my major city inside a building. So it all depends on whether you're Upstairs Downstairs in the middle of a huge building time of day nearest tower building construction materials all sorts of things.

• vayu

Yes, I also believe that location has everything to do. And that's why I moved to T-Mobile. When it happened once in a cinema-hall, where other people with AT&T/Verizon had service, I ignored it. Next time, I noticed in a Mall. Same thing, I tried to ignore, but, I became suspicious. But, this week, when I was in a office@Seattle a mile away from T-Mobile HQ and a block away from another T-Mobile office, but, no signal inside a building, but 3 bars outside. Then it happened again in my hotel, no signal in the room. but, when I walked out, I got full signal.

This thing never happened to me with AT&T.

BTW, I do not see this issue in my home and in my neighborhood. My one of the colleagues, who recommended me T-Mobile earlier is facing the same challenges. He also travels all across US. Both of us are planning to switch to Verizon/AT&T.

• snn555

Good luck with the move back. TMobile may not be for everyone. Works great for me but may not work great for you. There are also workarounds like Wi-Fi calling. I never have to use that because I always have good to excellent signal wherever I go in buildings and outside as well as traveling.

• vayu

Exactly! it seems T-Mobile is not for everyone.

I like its wifi-calling feature. But, it is not necessary the free wifi is always available at all the places. My customer's site @Seattle does not offer visitor-Wifi for security reasons. The hotel, I'm staying now, they do not offer free wifi as well. I am feeling miserable to see no signal/internet at both Customer's building and my hotel. I moved to T-mobile for its unlimited Mobile plan + Free tethering. So that, when ever it is needed I could make my phone a hotspot. But, as of now, I'm very disappointed.

• syaoran

No service inside of our apartment and no service inside of her workplace is what got my girlfriend to ditch AT&T for T-Mobile.

Pixel devices don't represent the best experience on the T-Mobile network.  Unlike Nexus devices, the Pixel line don't seem to be as friendly to the T-Mobile network.  You might want to have a look at the Pixel firmware page though to see if there is a firmware for your device that has a better tuned radio for T-Mobile.  On occasion, Google does release firmware variations aimed at specific carriers. 

Looking at the Google page, there are specific firmware versions for T-Mobile for the Pixel 2 XL devices.  Flashing to that should improve your experience on the T-Mobile network.

Factory Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices  |  Google APIs for Android  |  Google Developers

• tmo_chris

Hey there! Have you had a chance to speak with our folks over the phone yet? If you are in an area that should be getting T-Mobile signal but are not, we can alert our engineers to check the local towers to see if something is up.

• magenta9208781

I totally understand you. I came from ATT for the magenta plan. I have iphone and everytime I am inside of buildings I have either one bar or no signal. I called many times, reset my settings, changed my Sim card, and it doesn't look it is improving. I also feel like switching back.

• aiharkness

As a general rule, buildings are going to tend to be a problem, and more so for T-Mobile customers compared to customers on other carriers, and there will be buildings where no one is getting service.  But as snn555 indicated way up at the top of the thread, there is a lot of variability.  There are two locations I have in mind in my personal everyday experience, and I see variation I can't explain, and variation that seems to coincide with the weather.  I rely on wifi when I can in those situations.

• leegrasso

I love how there is one response in this thread telling us to contact t-mobile. Though multiple people mention they did that with no result. I recently switched from Verizon to tmobile and I am quickly regretting it as my service has declined in a major way. Both 4g and phone signal service (especially phone signal) has dropped dramatically. It is especially apparent inside buildings as this thread indicates. Tmobile, do you have no response or solution for this? Do expect us all to live and work outside? Please help!

• magenta9208781

I agree with you. I contacted them many times and they said coverage is good at those areas but it really isn't. I am regretting i left ATT and felt misled by the sales rep. The coverage is so weak to none. I doubt there is anything they can do. We might just have to hope that after the sprint and t mobile merging it will get better or just switch back to our previous carriers