Tips on coverage needed

magenta7019212

Does anyone have imformation on the Band 71/600 MHz near 62294?  I switched to TMobile because they advertised coverage was good.   ww get no service just a few blocks from our house and several miles to the east.   So,  more research and hundreds of dollars on a newer phone IPhone XR that has Band 71, and my coverage is barely any better.   I get no service in the same buildings as I would have with my 6S.    T-Mobile reps in a store back in November said new towers were coming in January but I’ve not seen it.  

All replies

• magenta7953629

Re: Tips on coverage needed

I am adding.  Sprint had no problem with service.  T mobile bought Sprint, so why are they not using sprint towers?  been with t mobile since August 2018 and not happy

• stevetjr

magenta7953629 wrote:

I am adding. Sprint had no problem with service. T mobile bought Sprint, so why are they not using sprint towers? been with t mobile since August 2018 and not happy

T-Mobile doesn't own Sprint (yet), it hasn't been approved by DOJ and FCC yet and even when they do they most likely won't use Sprint technology since it is the same TMO's network doesn't support CDMA and virtually no one else does either.  When they bought Metro who used CDMA they repurposed the spectrum and moved all the Metro over to the T-Mobile network.

You will always find spots where one carrier is better than the other(s) just because of where each carriers tower is located in relation to hills, trees, buildings and where you are located.  In other cases T-Mobile may want to put a tower to cover an area but the locality won't approve it since there may already be 1 or 2 towers and they don't want anymore.  I know T-Mobile was in a couple of lawsuits in GA because they had approvals that were then cancelled because of the "not in my neighborhood". 

Band 12 and 71 will help but just because a rep say the new towers are going in doesn't mean they may have "heard" but really it is just the first tower and it takes a while to do an area and they don't usually just turn them on tower by tower but in clusters as they get areas completed. In some areas they may be working on the towers upgrades but due FCC licenses by TV stations in the area they can't turn it on live until the TV station re-locates their channel.

• drnewcomb2

1. Never believe T-Mobile's coverage maps.
            2. Never believe what a T-Mobile store rep tells you.

Crowd sourced coverage by band can be found at CellMapper.net but they always lag behind reality.

iPhones generally have worse reception that their Android counterparts.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • magenta7019212

According to the cellmapper.net that drnewcom2 mentioned,  it looks like I'm right in the middle of a zone that is just outside of several stronger signals.    the iPhone XR has shown a slight improvement to the iPhone 6S as I drive around in some of these dead zones.    My location is near 66294 in metro-east St. Louis which shows towers just to the north , south, east, and west,  with all those except the west being in more rural areas than my location.   I read where 600 MHz would penetrate buildings better, but that doesn't seem the case based on some trial and error I've been doing.   I was just hoping there were some setting options I could try to get better signals.   I guess I will just keep trying and hope that a new tower the T-Mobile reps "claim" was being considered in early 2019 will eventually get implemented and help with the frustration. 

• tmo_chris

We have a new site that is supposed to go up about a half mile just to the south east of E Market ST and S Main ST on 3/29 that will have 600MHz

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • magenta7019212

tmo_chris ,  I found this tower you described and not sure if I've ever noticed it before.   I'm not sure if that tower was there and it's been upgraded or if it's a new tower entirely due to it's location.   So,  is it going live on 3/29 still or will it be delayed again?  

• tmo_chris

magenta7019212 I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it does look like the On-Air date was pushed to 4/15

• magenta7019212

Okay tmo_chris - moment of truth for T-Mobile.    Are we delayed again for this tower or is it going live today?   If it's not going live for the third or fourth delay now that I've been given,  when is the next implementation date?   Also, what is the deal with all these stalls on the date.    I was told in late 2018 this was going to be much better and patience within the family is deteriorating.    Thanks for the updates.

• tmo_chris

So the date was not pushed and all looks good! Have you noticed any difference in your coverage?

• magenta7019212

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately,  I just drove by there about 5 hours ago and no difference.   I live just 2 miles east of that tower and both my iPhone XS and my wife's iPhone XR have one or two bars max which is typical of what I've seen in the past.    I'll drive by there again shortly as I have to go uptown.    I go into buildings just blocks away from that tower and can't get service, so I would expect the bars to be at max on my phone when I drive there.    I go by there almost every day, so I can certainly keep watching it.    If this tower is truly active,  I'm at a loss for who it is helping.

• magenta7019212

tmo_chris,  I went by there and was actually about a half mile from the tower in a town park building and couldn't even get one cell tower bar on my phone.   Drove about 2 blocks from the tower and had like one bar.    That tower is not active.  

• tmo_chris

Well then I looked at the and it says "Lights On" and the on air date has not changed but it also says "Scheduled" I cannot find a date to correspond with the scheduled date. I can only assume that it is ready to go and they are just waiting on an approval or configuring other towers in the area to prepare for its integration.

• magenta7019212

So now I have an active tower that is dependent on some other condition.    Is there a communication path I could attempt to use to get more information on this tower?    You and other reps are getting information which kind of creates inaccurate responses to end users.   I'd just like to know when that tower actually is functional.   Right now,  it's not.

• tmo_chris

I know the date has been pushed several times and the last time I updated you, the date had not changed from 4/15. I check it again this AM and the date now says 4/26. I cannot promise that it will not get pushed again but seeing this kind of movement is encouraging.

• magenta7019212

tmo_chris,   thanks for the additional update.   Yes, a shorter window of time for the implementation date is definitely encouraging.    I'll see what happens this upcoming weekend.   

• magenta7019212

Morning tmo_chris,  unfortunately,  I think we are delayed again on that tower we've been discussing.   I was downtown yesterday and the signal was about as bad as ever.   When you get a chance,  let me know when you can see any type of implementation update beyond the 4/26/19 you were given previously.

I appreciate your help.

• tmo_chris

It is still saying on air 4/26 but the status is "Scheduled" As of now, I don't know what the time frame of a tower going from "Scheduled" to "Live" is. I Will keep checking it and update you here as soon as I see any additional movement.

• magenta7019212

tmo_chris,  thanks for the update.   We are now a week past the revised scheduled date which I know last time it seemed to be delayed before they gave you information.    Any chance they have revised it since you last looked around 4/30/19?   

• tmo_chris

No additional movement unfortunately but I will continue to monitor it.

• magenta7019212

tmo_chris,  any chance T-Mobile updated the schedule date?   Still drive by that tower almost daily and only one , maybe two bars, on my phone.   Lately,  I'm getting "No Service" sometimes as well.    Thanks for any information you can find.  

• tmo_chris

So the date got pushed again Says 5/21 now. Based on what we have seen, I cannot guarantee it won't get pushed again.

• magenta7019212

At least it's not another Friday schedule date like the past 5 I've seen.   Thanks for the update.   This evening may have been one of the worst reception signals I've seen downtown since I joined T-Mobile back in November.    Places outdoors where I usually always get a signal couldn't even get data (LTE).   The entire family was down entirely where even text were struggling to transmit.   I don't know what T-Mobile is doing in this area, but that cell tower cannot come soon enough.

• syaoran

Does your iPhone has an Intel modem/radio?  If so, that is more than likely the issue with your less than stellar signal strength/reception.

• magenta7019212

tmo_chris, thank you for this updated information.   I was told back in November that it would be in January, so I'm hopeful that 3/29/19 is a date that holds.   That location should probably help some dead spots not only in this location, but also south of that location where there are major dead gaps on the highway that connects two main interstates (Hwy 158).

• magenta7019212

At least it's not another Friday schedule date like the past 5 I've seen.   Thanks for the update.   This evening may have been one of the worst reception signals I've seen downtown since I joined T-Mobile back in November.    Places outdoors where I usually always get a signal couldn't even get data (LTE).   The entire family was down entirely where even text were struggling to transmit.   I don't know what T-Mobile is doing in this area, but that cell tower cannot come soon enough.