Is using a WiFi Hot Spot a Good Option for Extended International Travel

greekfreak

I will likely be out of the country for greater than 3 months and understand that my International Roaming may be at risk or "excessive roaming" and looking for some options.  I got a notice last year and frankly was using a fair amount of data because of limited access to WiFi.

My primary option that I've come up with is to put my Samsung 9+ on Airplane Mode and just enable WiFi calling from minute I leave the US.  This means I should not hit any non-US cell towers and be 100% WiFi for text and calls. 

I plan on purchasing a Pocket Hot Spot for when I am not connected to a stationary WiFi router. I can purchase a Hot Spot and 50GB of data in the country I will be staying in locally using a well know cellular provider for 99 Euros and reload as needed.  Take that hot spot with me wherever I go (its pretty small).

Can the forum please confirm if I am diligent about using WiFi only that TMobile's Excessive International Roaming Policy mostly likely will not come into play?

I understand the rules about calling to the US vs International and the 25 cent per minute stuff.

My hope is by doing this I stay within the guidelines and can actually have 4G via the hot spot as well as receive and make calls to the US seamlessly.

Thanks

All replies

• snn555

As long as your use internationally is not on cellular networks and is all on Wi-Fi you should be fine. After all you will be using another provider's signal not T-Mobile.

• syaoran

I have roamed out of th country for more than 3 months before.  I never had any issues.  I wasn't using much data though or calling.  Mostly texts and about 3GB of LTE data a month.  As long as the majority of your use is within the US in a given year, there should be no issue at all. 

• greekfreak

Last summer after 3 months when I was abroad I did get notice that I had 30 days to reconnect to a US tower or my international roaming would be suspended and that is when I learned about "excessive roaming" more than I wanted to know.  I went to TMobile because I do travel for extended periods out of the country and it's been awesome. Last summer however I did not have access to wifi for a long period of time, tethered etc to connect to the US but no calls as I used Skype for Calling.  My wife was with me and was on a land based wifi for her heavy use and got zero notice.

Because of the notification I just want to make sure I don't loose access to my TMobile service.  I can get a local phone and number but that is carrying another device.  The Hot Spot as long as I stay in the rules seems a choice that I have yet to see on any message boards.  Frankly having a 4G hotspot for calling and such is way better than the 256KB connection.  Yes it is another gadget and has to be kept charged up, but they are pretty small and I always carry an extra external battery when I am on the road and away from a wall plug.

Any other suggestions from someone from TMobile?

• tmo_chris

If you are using Wi-Fi calling, you will not be flagged for excessive roaming.

1 of 1 people found this helpful