OnePlus 6T and updates or lack of them

clumsyzombie

So here we go.

I chatted in and talked to someone and she is going to open am concern ticket.

I in November switched from AT&T to T-Mobile and I changed from IPhone to Andriod and never been happier.

I got Decembers 2018 Security Update for the OS all was good. Then I have noticed that since then no more updates from T-Mobile for the OnePlus

So I started looking into it ask checked my other phone and it got updates for January and then February still nothing from t-Mobile

Android Security Bulletin — February 2019  |  Android Open Source Project

So my issue here is since I went to t-mobile and bought the phone from tmobile they have to push the updates this means they have to get the andriod security updates and the other updates from OnePlus and then package it up and send it to their customer why has this not happen?

We are missing 2 to 3 Security Updates and 2 to 4 OnePlus updates.  Who if anyone at t mobile is in control of this and why have we seen no update to ensure our security and features that OnePlus has added like update to the camera and other feathers?

This is alarming and since I still owe on the phone I feel that this is a responsibility of T-Mobile to provide updates or tell their customer why they are not providing the update. They need to have a area on the forums here to say why they are not going to do it.  I guess this is the Engineering side of me (normal daily job) that is coming out in the posting here.

I feel they need to be more open then just O who cares Samsung has a new phone now. I don;t want to have to root my phone and flash it stock if I don't have to. If I do then I feel t-mobile should provide me the proper steps to do so so I can not only protect myself with security updates but I can use my phone I am paying for to the fullest 

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: OnePlus 6T and updates or lack of them

I hear where you're coming friend. I've been on a couple calls and haven't heard anything specific as to the updates not coming out in comparison to other phones. I do see an update is coming to this one pretty soon. Should be here in the next week or so. If that does change, I'll keep you posted.

• clumsyzombie

@tmo_mike_c If I was to load the OnePlus 6T firmware on my phone would have do anything or would it harm my phone at all?

• tmo_mike_c

I see what you mean about the software, I just don't have a specific cadence for the release, but when folks ask, I'll reach out to my sources and give you what info I find. As for your second question, I don't recommend changing the software, nor can I offer any 3rd party programs to do it. That's not something we support so it's sort of a "do at your own risk" kinda thing.

• clumsyzombie

So when i posted this I was on December Security updates and running oxygen os 9.0.4 this update tmobile pushed on Saturday was A6013_34_190217 it looks like Security update to January and RCS Messaging and IR94 Video Calling

From the looks of it going off all that you are 1 to 2 Months behind on T-Mobile.

This looks like January's package that was compiled on Feb 17th 2019. Then pushed on March 9th 2019

Do you all have any plains on upgrading the oxygen os that is running on the phones? Current is 9.012 Released on February 21st?

https://www.oneplus.com/support/softwareupgrade/details?code=9

Do you have any way of asking anyone?

• tmo_mike_c

Good question. Unfortunately, I don't have any info that future updates will include an oxygen os update. If that does change in the future, we'll update our content to mention major changes in the os.

• clumsyzombie

So going to revisit this now as I have let this slide for some months .My phone had January security updates nothing current    I am about to rethink this Android and joining the TMobile network here.. it is April the end of it and the start of May and I have not gotten any updates even from you all for OnePlus stuff they are on oxygen os 9.0.13 and this phone is at 9.0.4 what stuff am I missing and have missed. If I had a iPhone I could get the updates from them directly .I just feel no one is doing their jobs to protect us since I am 3 months almost out of security updates . I am regretting switch more and more each day. 

• clumsyzombie

Wow no awnser on my last reply. So I am just going to park this here to prove the stuff we are missing and improvements and security updates that TMobile is refusing to give us because they are kind of slow or lazy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidauthority.com/oneplus-6t-updates-922469/amp/

This is a really good write up currently this is what we are missing and not to minthion 9.0.13 hits this week.  So I guess the hell with it all. This is a very good write up.

Consult the table below to see the latest available OxygenOS versions for the unlocked and T-Mobile variants:

T-MobileUnlocked
                    Latest Update DateMarch 9, 2019April 19, 2018
                    Latest Update VersionOxygenOS v9.0.4OxygenOS v9.0.13
                    Android BaseAndroid 9 PieAndroid 9 Pie

Previous Unlocked OnePlus 6T updates:

• February 12, 2019: Update to OxygenOS 9.0.12
                      • Updated Android security patch to 2019.1
                      • General bug fixes and system improvements
                      • Deep integration with Google Duo
                      • Optimizations for display
                    • December 20, 2018: Update to OxygenOS 9.0.10
                      • Updated Android security patch to 2018.12
                      • Improved Wi-Fi stability for better connectivity
                      • Face Unlock improvements
                      • Improved Nightscape performance
                    • December 3, 2018: Update to OxygenOS 9.0.7
                      • Addition of a special audio tuner for Bluetooth earphones
                      • Improved Bluetooth stability for better connectivity
                      • Optimized stability for Wi-Fi connection
                      • Optimized standby power consumption
                      • Fixed display issues for lock screen wallpaper
                      • General bug fixes and improvements
                      • Improved performance for slow-motion videos

Previous T-Mobile OnePlus 6T updates:

• March 9, 2019: Update to OxygenOS 9.0.4
                      • IR94 Video calling added
                      • RCS messaging added
                      • Various bug fixes and system improvements
                    • January 22, 2019: Update to OxygenOS 9.0.3
                      • December 2018 security patch
                      • Dialer fix
                      • Various bug fixes and improvements
                    • January 3, 2019: Update to OxygenOS 9.0.2
                      • Enables support for additional domestic roaming partners
                    • chumdini

There is actually no need to root to flash the rom. If you search on xda developers there is a conversion method that bypasses having to have the device paid off and unlocked.  From there you can run the OEM version or run the open beta firmware. Open beta is currently what I have now . Honestly the 6t runs better on the oem build than the T-Mobile build. 

• chumdini

It can be reversed but there wouldn't be a need for it as the software u are flashing is oem software. It's not modified in anyway you are basically just rewriting the phone to run the global variant. Same thing if you paid off the device and wanted to run one plus original software .

• privatename9

Why oh why oh why have a do not disturb feature that still sends you phone calls? Any chance they will fox that??