600Mhz LTE to 5G

eandcoen62716

Okay this is kind of a weird question. So T-Mobile is hard at work deploying 600Mhz to eventually carry their 5G, but I was wondering if it'll continue to support LTE after that. For example, I'm going to upgrade to the iPhone XI when it comes out in September, but intel(Apple's modem maker) has said they aren't going to have 5G modems until 2020(from what I understand), and apple  is usually late getting on the next network standard bus anyway. So if I was to buy a phone with 600 Mhz LTE support, would it still be able to access the 600 Mhz after they switch on the 5G? Maybe this is a dumb question, but if Intel won't have official 5G modems until 2020, will I still get 600 Mhz LTE after the band has been switched to 5G? I understand maybe no one has an official answer yet and that's fine, just curious.

All replies

• landonloco

Re: 600Mhz LTE to 5G

T mobile will devide 600mzh between 5G and LTE in most cases except cities, since cities have the least amount of 600mzh spectrum usually only 5mzh so that would be probably be used for 5G since most deployments in these areas are late 2019 or mid 2020. If you tell me the area that you are located I might give you more info. Most phones at least t mobile ones let you switch between network so unless t mobile changes that which I doubt they will.

• eandcoen62716

Wait, divide? Like if there are 6 cells on a tower, 3 of them LTE and 3 of them 5G? The reason I ask is most of the towers that have 600Mhz only have 3 cells so that wouldn't work. Like one cell LTE and two 5G? Or do you mean like dividing the bandwidth?

• landonloco

No, let me explain ok each network has a certain frecuencies that they runs each has licenses on each frecuency, since frecuencies aren't network specific then if for example t mobile would like to use 600mzh for their 3G network they can since it's their frecuency. As to how division of frecuencies work then it's like this you know that on a high way there two lanes one to get into the state and one to get out well that's how the frecuencies work they divided it into slices of 5x5mzh, 10x10mzh, 15x15mzh and finally 20x20mzh, one goes down(Download) the other goes up(upload). Each state has different capacity depending on the frecuency porfolio of your company in the case of t mobile they mostly have a lot of 600mzh that can run up to 20x20 and sometimes up to 25x25mzh in Rural areas and on urban areas it's only 10x10mzh or 5x5mzh. Ok I explained the idea on how frecuencies work if you need more explanation I happy to explain and please can you provide me your address not physical just the town and state

• landonloco

Sorry you were correct it is dividing bandwidth

• landonloco

Well if you don't live in a mayor US city then I guess you should do okay for awhile. I mean t mobile hasn't even turn off 2G just shows that they might still be using it extensively so it should be long way in the future when t mobile turns off LTE

• eandcoen62716

Yeah that's true. I do live in a fairly large city and I'm glad I switched to Tmo because it's actually much better than Verizon where I live. But I do travel through Kansas quite a bit (which has a lot of 600Mhz) so that's why I asked. Thanks for all your help and explanations!

• landonloco

Kansas has a decent amount of 600mzh spectrum so it's good it can run it at 15mzh peak. My market has like three times that it can run up to 25x25mzh since its a massive chunk of 50mzh of 600mzh but now they only running 10mzh of it so that means they are saving for 5G

• drnewcomb2

Q: Will T-Mobile use this band for LTE or 5G?

A: Yes.

Unlike previous technologies LTE and 5G will work together simultaneously, not as an either-or proposition. So, a 5G phone has a 5G signal, it will probably be using LTE at the same time.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • stevetjr

And who knows, last year the Iphone had 2 US versions 1 for TMO/AT&T and one for Verizon/Sprint because the Intel radio couldn't do CDMA so those have Qualcomm radios which are then throttled because they are faster and they didn't want one variant to be faster than the other.  If TMO's 5G and 600 network is robust enough Apple may have no choice but to put the Qualcomm radio in it for the TMO variant also.   Probably not since Apple usually does what Apple wants (another reason not to own an Apple LOL) but with the merger coming up and TMO growing fast and IPhone sales dropping they may have no choice but to.....

• eandcoen62716

Well I own Apple devices because I got deeply into the ecosystem and now I'm in it. But I enjoy it. Anyway that's not what this discussion is about. I just wish Apppe and Qualcomm weren't fighting because the iPhone I have has a Qualcomm modem and I've heard a ton about that the Intel ones are much worse.

• landonloco

Yeah they much less powerful than Qualcomm modems imagine that just recently they were able to do a modem capable of gigabit LTE capable while Qualcomm modems had gigabit LTE capabilities for like a year or two so yeah they are pretty bad I also heard the signal strength is weaker altrough that kinda got resolved with intel's latest modem

• landonloco

Yes I forgot to say that, since they both run on IP protocol they can run together pretty well without issues

• drnewcomb2

Also, 5G only gives about 20% per-MHz increase in speed. By itself, it won't make a lot of difference to the individual user. Where the big improvement comes into play is with massive signal aggregation and use of large bandwidth at very high frequencies. (By which I don't mean VHF but actually SHF.) . 

1 of 1 people found this helpful