Hate this update!

graygrrrl

This new software update is awful! The whole point of the s9 was there were no buttons. Now, I gave a permanent toolbar at the bottom of my phone. Full screen apps still display this bar. Why? All my presets erased and I've had to manually change them. That's if it's even possible anymore. I have "send read receipt" off in messages yet it asks me if I want to send one EVERY TIME I OPEN A NEW MESSAGE. The new buttons and interface are juvenile looking. Websites open in a chrome popup and i have to tell it to switch to samsung internet each time. I hate every thing about this update and wish I'd never done it.

Any way to uninstall???

All replies

• snn555

Re: Hate this update!

there are certain people here that will tell you that you can revert to the previous iteration of the OS however this is not possible without a lot of behind-the-scenes tinkering which is ill-advised.

plus everybody and their brother wanted this update here it is so like it or not this is what you got.

• faalane

Huh? It's VERY easy to revert back. You download a large zip and an Odin app and out 4 files in their respective slits and hit start pretty much. You can download the files and do the whole process in about 15 minutes literally and there's about two minutes of reading as far as instructions go. It's actually very simple. I know people who've never touched anything like this who have done it successfully the first time who aren't technical at all.

• syaoran

It can easily be flashed back.  My girlfriend took it upon herself to do so after a day of being annoyed by the stupid changes.  You cam head on over to XDA-Devwlopers S9/S9 Plus forum for any help, links to the files, etc. 

Basically, you need to flash with full wipe to the previous T-Mobile build.  You will need ODIN, the firmware image for the prior update that can be found on Updato.  You need the TMB U inage for the previous firmware.  Enable Developer Options, install the Samsung drivers if Wondows doesn't automatically.  You extract and flash the image with the sevice in Download Mode.  Once done, it will factory reset. 

That is the basics.  More details can be found over there.  It isn't hard at all. 

• snn555

Like I said....behind-the-scenes tinkering and ill-advised.

• syaoran

Ill-advised is debateable.  Originally you said, "A lot of behind-the-scenes tinkering".  It isn't a lot, which was my point. 

• snn555

Anyone familiar with flashing and such would already know this process. Point is, you're instructing people who don't know these things to take risks.

• syaoran

No!  I am stating the options available to them.  All you are doing is trying to make things sound mich more complicated than they really are to getnpeople to staybstuck on firmware they are not happy with.  If the peocess was complicated, I would say so, like Indid with the V30.  For Samsung devices, it is fairly easy.  Fivesl minutes of reading is all it takes and 10 minutes to complete. 

This is also different than those who wanted to flash an update that wasn't specifically for their device.  This is a simple firmware rollback.  Stop trying to push people into a single way of thinking!  If they want to roll their device back, then it is their choice! 

• snn555

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind you that we do not discuss ways in which to alter software or firmware.

if you'd like to discuss other ways in which to void a warranty you're more than welcome to point people to XDA.

• debjitjdv

snn555

I am not sure if going back to previous firmware voids the warranty as long as you do it rigjhtwith correct firmware and dont root. Flashing via ODIN do not need rooting and I have done that myself many times. Of course it needs caution and understanding. One should do at his / her own disscretion.

graygrrrl

I guess you can hide the navigation bar by double tapping at the left side bottom corner. Also I believe you can change the color of the Nav bar and can hide it altogether (I assume thats waht you mean by app bar).  I was in BETA for S9+ since day one and I am suggesting these based on the firmware of Unlocked S9+ that I directly bought from Samsung. If T-Mobile firmware has changed these basic settings, then its completely uncalled for.

• snn555

The point is the community is supposed to help, and by introducing techniques that might possibly render a TMobile device inoperable, it seems that runs counter to the purpose.

One might include a disclaimer, but it's best to refrain from posting such things on the Tmobile Support Community.  TMobile wouldn't claim responsibility, ergo we shouldn't either.

One would think that a user who assumes the risk would do so from a referred-to source rather than directly outlined directions found here.

• syaoran

I honestly think you need to stop commenting on things you have absolutely no clue about.  Flashing the firmware back to a previous version through official tools provided by Samsung isn't putting the device at any more risk than it would be updating your device and then pulling the battery during the update.  Even OTA's have risk.  Data can be corrupted during download.  Integrity checks usually aren't even there.  There is no more risk flashing to a previous update with the proper instruction than there is taking an OTA update normally. 

In the past, I have recommended XDA for place for these discussions, but it is clear that T-Mobile does not seem to care about what people post here.  If they had, then those posting links and how-to's on how to flash updates for other carrier firmware on their devices instead of waiting for the TMB U updates, would have been removed and dealt with a week ago.

As much as I am pro updates.  There are times when updates are either broken, change something I don't like, or remove a function I bought the device because it had it.  These situations are very rare and the update to Pie, as crappy as it is in my opinion, is not one of those updates I would flash back over.  However, others seem interested in going back, which is not a bad thing.  They purchased a device.  If they choose to rollback the firmware on it.  That is their choice.  If they need help with instructions on how to do that.  I can post them here but it is easier for them to look over on XDA because those instructions have been posted many of times and the community there has a lot more helpful people to guide them through the process, if they decide to attempt it.  I have flashed more than enough phones for myself and others as well as helped enough people successfully flash and recover their devices through XDA.

You might be afraid to flash your device, but others might feel that Samsung has left them no other choice.  Providing them with factual information without fictionalizing the dangers of the process doesn't help anyone!  No one outside of you mentioned that myself or T-Mobile would claim any responsibility for what someone else chooses to do to their device.

• magenta7826246

Hello,

So I have an App that doesn't support the Pie update on my Galaxy S9. (Essentially, its a Diabetes Blood Sugar monitoring app that (in Oreo) used to be able to Alarm in certain situations, but no in Pie it cannot, creating potentially life threatening situations where we miss an issue).

in my search for a way to go back to Oreo, I stumbled across this post and have since found the XDA Oreo site.

I'm no stranger to rooting and and installing ROMs on phones (I was a big Cyanogenmod guy on my Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S1) that I still use as a playphone for the kids to this day), but I have some questions:

If I revert back to the Oreo build using the XDA MOD, is it now 'forever rooted'? I.e., should they fix the app in the future, do I have to manually install Pie later in life or will the phone be able to OTA it essentially like we've been doing?

Similarly, just because I haven't done this since new software has come out, do you know if the Oreo build still supports the Samsung Account backup/transfer functions (as in, like it was out of the box)?

Bottom line: its actually my Wife's phone (so .. I take less risks here), and if doing the XDA ROM install essentially makes T-Mobile think it just 'never updated', then its great. If there are stings attached, I'm curious to know what they are.

Thanks for your help on this!

-LMT

• debjitjdv

It is a discussion forum par se. And we support each other better when we discuss things and try to understand its pros and cons. So please stop doing policing.

• tidbits

debjitjdv wrote:

snn555

I am not sure if going back to previous firmware voids the warranty as long as you do it rigjhtwith correct firmware and dont root. Flashing via ODIN do not need rooting and I have done that myself many times. Of course it needs caution and understanding. One should do at his / her own disscretion.

graygrrrl

I guess you can hide the navigation bar by double tapping at the left side bottom corner. Also I believe you can change the color of the Nav bar and can hide it altogether (I assume thats waht you mean by app bar). I was in BETA for S9+ since day one and I am suggesting these based on the firmware of Unlocked S9+ that I directly bought from Samsung. If T-Mobile firmware has changed these basic settings, then its completely uncalled for.

In a sense it does void the warranty.  If you have any issues Samsung WILL force you to update if you want to continue you warranty.

As for the Nav bar it's Samsungs doing.  All their current phones no longer has a way to make it hidden.

• action

New style navbar actually reduces the phone size by 0.4". That is going backward.

• tidbits

action wrote:

New style navbar actually reduces the phone size by 0.4". That is going backward.

Complain to Samsung not T-Mobile.  If you done all their troubleshooting well it has to be an app or intentional by Samsung.  Carriers has less control than people believe they have.

• syaoran

I used to believe that until one if the update threads discussed, provided links, and told people how to flash an update meant for another carrier.

Rolling back the firmware does not void the warranty either!  Do your research before you waste my time again!

• tidbits

syaoran wrote:

I used to believe that until one if the update threads discussed, provided links, and told people how to flash an update meant for another carrier.

Rolling back the firmware does not void the warranty either! Do your research before you waste my time again!

Samsung will Force you to update before doing any more troubleshooting and even doing an exchange.  IF you send it to them they'll give you back the phone with the newest update and won't fix it.  A guy on XDA a while back sent one in and he  had the exact same one back with the newest firmware.  It was a long while ago.

• debjitjdv

Agreed. I guess, its not only Samsung, every OEM will force a user to update to the latest firmware before doing an exchange, warranty replacement, or any detailed troubleshooting. They believe that latest firmware has all the solutions whereas latest firmware actually has many bugs and feature removals. In any case, rolling back to previous firmware is a temporary solution at one's own discretion.

• syaoran

Google doesn't help either!  Android is far from perfect.  If the OS had a two year life cycle indtead of stupid changes yearly for basic features.  It might make for a more stable version of the OS for OEM's to work with. 

• tmo_amanda

Hey, syaoran and snn555!

Thank you both for chiming to help out users that are having issues with the latest Pie update. It looks like this convo has gone sideways a bit and both of you make great points. One quick thing I'd like to point out is that we do not guarantee the functionality of any devices that do not have a software version that was sold or updated by T-Mobile (for example, rooted devices) Non-T-Mobile phone & software disclaimer . We do not have anything against suggesting these methods on our community but we just want to make sure everyone is aware that T-Mobile does not support these methods in any way.

graygrrrl, did the info that debjitjdv  shared help you hide the navigation bar?

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                              • snn555

Very well, I will accept that it is not against policy to suggest software modification, however I will voice my concern that it is these exact people that tinker about and render their phone inoperable that leads to insurance rates hiking up for which I am responsible for covering.

• debjitjdv

snn555

Thanks for your input. My whole point is that we discuss, we educate people who are not aware of things, and let them know pros and cons. I believe everyone in this forum is adult to understand the risks and cons. The diaclaimers are not meant to safe guard myself, rather that is the warning the people should know about. And if you refer software modification, that refers to rooting etc which are serious things. But going back to previous official firmware is not software modification. In fact I think Samsung should have that fail safe and roolback options in case people do not like new updates. It is unfortunate they do not have that now.

I personally use sammobile.com as they are the most trusted repo of Samsung softwares. In fact many times, I was referred by Samsung reps to download APKs from that repo as they are signed. That website literally babysits people how to do things and what exactly are the steps and what are the risks and benefits.

I am sorry if my words have offende you or made you felt like I am shouting at you. I am not. My whole point is to educate people. That's it. Thanks for your understanding.

• snn555

If I use these 2 links to convert my 1+6T to the OE International version and back to TMO, then that's ok and I have no reason to fear at all?  After all, this is official firmware and doesn't require rooting.

Tmo doesn't take responsibility, but whatever....I can do what I want and any warranty exchange resulting from a bricked device is fine and not my fault, since it's official OEM software?

https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-6t/how-to/t-mobile-6t-to-international-t3888307

https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-6t/how-to/tool-t-mobile-oneplus-6t-msmdownloadtool-t3868916

Considering how far behind Tmo is with the updates....why not?

I'll use this thread as reference as to the OK to do so.

Yeah....no way TMO will ok that.  Official or not.

That's my point.

• syaoran

If I could have gotten oassed the little notch on the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition.  I would have bought it and flashed it with the T-Mobile version's radio for band 71 comoatibility. 

Personally, I don't think the carrier should accept any responsability of a result of someone not knowing what they are doing.  The tools listed for that proceedure are not official tools from OnePlis.  Third party tools can be very useful though when manufacturers lock down their devices in ridiculous ways. 

• snn555

The so-called tools may not be official but the firmware is official.

My entire point of responsibility accountability warranty anything has been completely lost in this thread.

I guess since one would not have to root to actually perform the conversion then it was never really altered because it wasn't rooted. As if to say no changes have been made unless you unlock the bootloader. If that's the case I can go on ahead and be up to date without having to wait.

• faalane

you are nuts dude..., this won't void your warranty whatsoever because downgrading won't even trip Knox for starters, and you're flashing a stock firmware which is not illegal as it's the exact firmware your phone came with in the first place and is offered by Samsung directlyy and you can download it from several other places and it won't hurt anything whatsoever. Quit smoking drugs and relax you're making this way more than it needs to be....it's a VERY easy and simple , LEGAL non warranty voiding process. LMAO....

• faalane

actually you're making it worse for them because you're making it sound like it's hard to do and if you do it right you can't break your device and you can't even fly shitt wrong because if it fails that's just it it will fail and you simply try again so there's no way you can actually ruin your device or even void its warranty for that matter because it'll fail before it gets that far. This is a very very very easy 15-minute process with any computer and about ten steps that you can read along as you go and then you hit start and wait and you're done. You're making it seem like it's some catastrophic thing that's nearly impossible for anyone and I know many beginners who have done it successfully on their first try, number one being my 12 year old nephew LOL.

• faalane

thank you, this person doesn't know what they're talking about my 12 year old nephew did it in less than 15 minutes and he's never done anything it's like this ever, he's not technical at all and got it reverted to Oreo on his first try. +1

• faalane

you're nuts, I know people who have done this to have never ever done anything like it and they've reverted back in less than 15 minutes. Quit spreading news that is incorrect. My 12 year old nephew did it on his first try and has never attempted anything like it ever

• bradgrant

Flashing will always break the phone. Especially with so many licenses involved. Anyone know if Knox triggers? What about HDR? What about DeX? What if you screw up your phone or toast it. How about give real advice. Go back through your settings as most likely the "presents" you had aren't compatible anymore because they have new options. Best bet is to go through all the Settings tabs.

• evpetitti

I hate it too, Defeats the purpose of pinning an app with a permanent menu bar.

Is there a way to fix this? Hate the way the new one looks,  but whatever.  Changed a bunch of my settings as well. Never should've updated.

• babyfine_1

I H_A_T_E this new update and this HUGE ugly white bar that is perma-stuck at the bottom of the screen, apps included!  I've called T-mobile to complain and they referred me to Samsung. They both told me there was nothing they could do we can't get rid of it, we can't undo the update and if we reset to factory the bar will still be there so they literally said we're stuck w/it and hope we get used to it!  How fair is that?  I am stuck in a new contract for a phone I now HATE 2 months after getting it.   I want to cry!

• syaoran

Check out the Samsung Theme Store.  It won't solve all of the gripes, but some updated themes can help with the awful changes in Samsung's One UI and Google's push to make their OS look stupid.  PixelizeD is free but not up to date with the Pie base.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                                            • yousuck13

T Mobile is full of crap. They do these updates!

• debjitjdv

yousuck13

Unfortunately no. T-Mobile does not do these updates. They validate it against their network setup but the software is built by Samsung.

• theartiszan

The carriers actually do not develop the update of the core software in anyway. Their main point is that it works with their service and contains the apps they want.

If the carriers developed the updates each carrier version would look different don't you think?

• yousuck13

I realize that now. Hence, my beef is with Samsung. I won't be buying their phones anymore. This is the 2nd time their update has caused me to need a new phone. I believe they are doing this deliberately. Two updates, two separate phones, both caused severe battery drain after the update making them useless.  

• theartiszan

I am wondering if it happens to be something with either data on the phone or what applications were installed. I have been using the new version since beta and the performance and battery life had actually improved for me. For the first beta release it was bad for about 4 days then improved.

Just checked it last night after charging to 100% then leaving it off the charger overnight it only drained to 97% and I can still get all day use with it with no problems.

• yousuck13

It's been 3 days since this latest update and my battery usage is really bad, and i don't even use the damn phone. Not one text nor phone call and it still drains to 72%. Just looking through my phone drains the battery. I don't know what to do, and I REFUSE to buy another phone. I just finished paying for this one.

• theartiszan

Yeah, to me that sounds like there is either some days/app causing issues or somehow the software got corrupted during the update process.

If you have a sd card in the phone you can try taking it out for a little as well as try starting the phone and using it in safe mode (can't use your apps) for a few hours and see how things go to narrow it down.

Worst case scenario manually flash the software with Odin and reset it during the flash will fix any software corruption. It's just like reinstalling Windows on a computer.

• yousuck13

Thanks for your time artiszan, but the truth is I'm not very tech savvy with phones. For instance, this was all Greek to me when you said: "Worst case scenario manually flash the software with Odin and reset it during the flash will fix any software corruption. It's just like reinstalling Windows on a computer."

Everything you're saying to me is the same thing that was said to me by others the first time this happened with my other/previous Samsung phone. They did an update and my battery couldn't handle it making it useless. What are the odds that both times, both updates, on two different phones corrupted my phones software? I don't know what Samsung is doing but I am done with them.

Thanks again for your time and help.  

• theartiszan

Actually, I think it is a pretty safe bet. I have had problems with updates on Android devices before and it was all due to the way the updates got installed and not the version of software itself.

I can understand it all being a little confusing. It is actually easier than it sounds and pretty safe to do. If you look up samfirmware they have the needed downloads and the how to steps which makes it all pretty straightforward. Just need a Windows computer to do the flash with and of course internet to download it.

My s7 edge was pretty laggy after the major update to that when it came out over the air as well. But flashing the phone with the computer, resetting the phone, and clearing out the memory card fixed it for me and made it much better. I used it with no problems until the s9 was released and my mother is using it now.

• donw1955

Since this update.. my text app crashes on sending texts to one phone number in particular...others work fine.

also.. texts used to show up on the main screen when I would receive them and the phone was locked.. no longer... all I get is an empty text 'bubble'.

I have to go into the app to see any texts

Whoever programmed this crap update needs a demotion.

• debjitjdv

I guess you can do that Settings-> Display --> Navigation Bar. Let me know if you can do it graygrrrl

• shuff30064

This update is TERRIBLE...What was on our mind?????

• sebastian05000

People wants an update later on hate this update bruh

But seriously tho is that bad what are the issues?

• yousuck13

T Mobile does this all the time. They did this to me with my previous Samsung phone too. I currently have the Samsung Galaxy S9, and with this new update my battery is draining at double the rate! They introduce these updates that they KNOW many phones will not be able to handle to FORCE you to have to buy a new phone. I am NOT falling for it anymore. I spent $900.00 only 6 months ago on this phone and they are not getting another dime from me. I will walk around with a charger.

T Mobile, YOU SUCK! You are ripping people off with these software updates! You do not even give people the option to DECLINE THE UPDATE! You give people the option to either Install now, Install overnight or install later, and that is bull crap. You should give people the option to DECLINE THE UPDATE. I didn't want this update. There was nothing wrong with my phone. I was perfectly happy with my phone. Isn't it convenient that right after the phone update was complete I got a message pushing the Samsung Galaxy 10 phone on me!

I will take my services else where if you do not remedy this problem! 

• syaoran

Actually, you can press the Home button, go to Settings, Apps, click the 3 dots and show system apps, select blue Software Update, and lear cache and force stop it. 

• yousuck13

I do not see anything that says "blue software update." I see only "Blocked numbers Storage, Blue light filter, Bluetooth, Bluetooth MIDI Service, Bluetooth Test, Bookmark Provider, Briefing and bootagent." 

• faalane

the battery drain can be from several things usually the owner installing every app under the sun, I have installed this update and it is far better on my battery than Oreo ever was. And you can always not take the update by going into software updates and Unruh taking the automatically update button so let's not be quite as naive as you're making yourself out to be because it's not that tough.... It's called common Sense use it if you can, not everyone has it though

• yousuck13

There is no way for me to deactivate the automatic updates. That option does not exist on my Galaxy S9. If i'm wrong please tell where to find it. Also, I have hardly any apps installed on my phone, maybe 10 that didn't come with the phone preinstalled. I'm not naive, but I'm also not a tech genius. I have been duped again by Samsung.

• debjitjdv

yousuck13

Go to Settings --> Software Update --> Slide the Scheduled Software Updates to off. Unless you try to update manually, it won't update now.

Frankly speaking, as a fellow friend, please wait a few days and your phone will be fine. Samsung did not direct you specifically. It happens with any major software updates irrespective of OS platform or the manufacturer.  If you can do a Factory Reset, that would be best. Taking a backup, doing a factory reset and restore from your backup won't take more than 30 mins. I can walk you through the steps if you wish to go that avenue. Let me know and tag me.

• yousuck13

Hi and thanks for your help. I do not want to do a factory reset. What is flashing? This seems the least invasive and won't cause me to lose my contacts or text messages. I'm so afraid to do anything, but clearly, this battery drain in not sustainable.

• debjitjdv

yousuck13

I would not suggest flashing at needs advanced understanding of each steps. If you have not done it before then you should refrain from it. Flashing will also delete all contacts and messages from your device. Taking Backup withe Samsung Smart Switch is very easy. It will backup all your contacts, messages, photos (that are stored in phone memory), documents, call logs, applications, home screen etc. Either you can take the back up in the Memory Card using the Smart Switch App (can be downloaded from Play Store) or you can back up your phone via Smart Switch App in Desktop. You can also take a complete backup your device in the Samsung Cloud (you have have 15GB free space in Samsung Cloud to do that) and then you can restore from the Samsung Cloud. Samsung Cloud is the least hassle way. If you wish to do that, I can guide you step by step here.

• yousuck13

Yes, I would like help using smart switch to back up all my "contacts, messages, photos (that are stored in phone memory), documents, call logs, applications, home screen etc." to BOTH my Sim card and to the Cloud. I also want to make sure ALL my photos are backed-up to my sim card. I really appreciate your help! Thank You

• debjitjdv

Unfortunately you wont be able to backup everything to your SIM card. SIM card does not have that much of memory storage. If any contact or message is stored in your SIM card, that will stay back in the SIM contact even if you do factory reset. If that is ok with you, in the next message I can give you all the steps one by one.

• syaoran

Flashing backwards does not need a factory reset but it is highly recommended to avoid bringing the issues you have back to the previous build.  To learn how to flash your device will take about 10 minutes of reading and is not complicated. 

• debjitjdv

syaoran

Yes, you are correct. Eventually he may land on the land of Factory resetting. So why dont do it first to see if it resolves the issue? And possibly you cannot deny that flashing occassionally brings bootloop issues. If he has never done that, all those just might confuse him. And even if you flash, a backup of the device never hurts to protect the data. Don't you agree?

• syaoran

Flashing has the same potential for a bootloop as taking an OTA.  The OTA being flashed will more than likely be a different build number, as most carrier U, U1, and W firmware variants are.  A factory reset will not solve the OTA mismatch error, if T-Mobile's U build is different in one of 5 ways the OTA can check.  Flashing backwards with wipe also will eliminate the potential for the issue to remain after flashing. 

Flashing for the newer Samsung devices is fairly simple.  However, there is a right way to guarantee a solution and getting them back to the previous firmware, there is the dirty flash which can preserve and lead to more issues, and then there is just not doing your research and blindly doing something silly. 

• debjitjdv

I guess you missed my point. I am saying to a novice, the terms that you mentioned will sound gibberish. What may be easy to you many not be easy for another person. The issue that yousuck13 is having can possibly be solved easily by a Factory Reset instead of doing a flash etc etc. His phone has already received the OTA. Doing a factory reset is always the first step to see if it solves the issue. Its like taking baby steps before making the giant stride.

• 00tash

This update killed by battery life. It drains so fast.. even when idle. My phone now seems useless. Now I have to continually charge it. Anyone with battery drain issues?

• yousuck13

Yes, my phone is draining when idle too. I have the Samsung Galaxy S9. I bought it only 6 months ago. I spent $750.00 for the phone and an additional $150.00 for the screen cover, phone case and tax for a total of $900.00. This is the 2nd TIME a Samsung update has done this to me. My prior phone was the Samsung 7 and after that update my battery was draining at a ridiculous rate, which is why I bought the Galaxy S9. I am DONE with Samsung!!!

• faalane

Yes download the stock firmware and reflash your phone using the Odin's tool, just Google it and you'll find the files and instructions. It's very easy to do and takes about 10 to 15 minutes with about 2 minutes of reading as far as instructions go. I know a few people who are not technical whatsoever who have done it and it takes literally about 10 to 15 minutes tops. It's very easy

• kanehi

I have a Hauwei Mate 20X with Android 9 and it takes getting used to.  Now that Android 9 arrived on the S9+ I'm familiar in customizing it to my liking.  It  takes a bit of a learning curve but you can do it.  On some apps it will warn you if it might have problems working with the new Android, mines was Alarm Clock Plus.  All I had to do was to reinstall the program and so far it has been working. 

• magenta8065220

I'm with the rest here.  this update has killed my battery and removes a ton of things I used!!  If they dont fix it, I'm dropping T-mobile.  is anyone at T-mobile listening???

• yousuck13

I have the Samsung Galaxy S9, and I brought my phone to a Samsung store that just opened in my city and they did a diagnostic test on my phone and found that my Norton Security was using/draining a lot of my battery. Since I (UN)installed Norton the battery drain problem has gone away. i also put a lot of apps to sleep and lowered the screen brightness. Now my phone is working fine. I don't know if any of this pertains to you, but I hope it might help. T-Mobile is also my provider.

• debjitjdv

The problem is not with TMobile possibly. The software is prepared by Samsung. T-Mo only verifies it. There must be some apps that are incompatible and causing these drains. Check your Device Care under Settings and go to Battery. Switch on all the optimizations from the three vertical buttons on top right corner. My Note 9 is going for ~almost 2 days (average 1day 15 hours) on a single charge. Of course after a major update, I did a factory reset and then restored my phone from Samsung Cloud. I have no issues and the update works much better than Oreo.

I also have S9+ directly bought from Samsung and that is also working fine.

• lorr0505

How do I switch back to the old format?? The new update is TERRIBLE!!!!

• magenta8096917

Just got the update yesterday my phone and my Wife's they both work great had to change a few settings but they can be setup to work the same way they were .     Don't understand why everyone is so upset .

• briantng648

After the update. There is no swipe on keyboards. BTW Note8 is stuck on Testing phase

• akinss

I know I hate it too. Wish I had still put it off.

• briantng648

T-Mobile will be the last one to release a Galaxy Note8 Android Pie.

• magenta8096917

Don't know about the S9  but everything you talk about on that you don't like on the S9 on the  S8 can be changed to look and act just like before the update some people just like to complain  I believe  .

• lauriebe

I agree. Update sucks

• lauriebe

Hoping there is a response here that is actually useful and doesn't involve reverting back to an old version and or jumping thru hoops. No one has time for this drama.

• reikilife

I agree this new update SUCKS!

• kanehi

The new PIE update essentially made two apps not run which I do use on a regular basis... Alarm Clock Plus and Voice Notify. 

• action

I did revert back to previous version. It's not fun if the ROM is stock.

You need to setup all apps, make changes to settings which are changed, you loose SD card data if encrypted etc. Still worth removing this useless version.

Pie is supposed to be tasty, not nasty

• blkbrymouse

Tmobile if you're listening.  If I wanted an iPhone I would have purchased one.  The update from March / April made my awesome Samsung Note 8 to work like an iPhone.  I'm not happy, as others are not happy about this change.