Galaxy s10 unlocked vs tmobile

magenta6858571

what is advantages and disadvantages of Galaxy s10 unlocked vs tmobile

All replies

• syaoran

Re: Galaxy s10 unlocked vs tmobile

There aren't many because the hardware for the carrier devices and Samsung's devices are exactly the same and only differ by the firmware version.

With the U1 firmware of the S10, your device will come SIN unlocked and it will work on most carriers.  You will have a carrier bloat-free experience but there is still plenty of Samsung and Google bloatware included.  Like the S9, S9 Plus, and Note 9, the U1 device will be capable of band 71, WiFi Calling, and VoLTE.

What you won't get is T-Mobile's video calling dialer that comes on the TMB U firmware.  Carrier aggregation for the U1 firmware is also non-existent.  It doesn't make a huge difference most of the time but carrier specific tuned radios do pull in better network performance on their respective networks. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • ncguy

Has anyone had hands on with this device to see if the unlocked really does perform worse due to network tuning or carrier aggregation etc..?

For a $550 trade in I'd buy the Tmobile version from Samsung but I'm not sure I can unlock it.  I've had database issues with tmobile-version devices purchased from Samsung in the past

• syaoran

I have not had any hands on the devices side by side.  However, carrier aggregation can make a big difference in what bands are selected to provide the best experience.  The U1 firmware does not provide carrier aggregation and T-Mobile's video calling, but you can take it and use it on any carrier and have a decent and carrier-free experience. 

The TMB U firmware is focused on the T-Mobile neteork for the best experience possible.  T-Mobile knows which areas have what available and how to get the best performance for uploads and downloads.  If you are going to do a lot of uploading and downloading, watching videos, and streaming music.  You might want to go for the one with the T-Mobile U firmware over the non-carrier specific U1 firmware. 

• ncguy

Last time I bought a tmobile from Samsung I couldn't get it unlocked because it wasn't added to the database.  Neither Samsung or Tmobile could get it unlocked and both blamed the other.  Any advice on that front if it happens again?

• syaoran

That is an issue that crops up with pre-ordered devices directly through Samsung's website for carrier firmware models.  If you want the T-Mobile firmware on the device, I would suggest getting it from your local T-Mobile store to ensure it is in their system.

• tarekrizk

Hey, i always buy my Samsung phones from samsung and tmobile version.  I havent ever had a problem unlocking the device with tmobile and it usually takes 48hr. Just call tmobil, give then ur ime and they will contact samsung and call you back to unlock it theough the app

• ncguy

Tarekrizk,

Thanks for that.

• tidbits

tarekrizk wrote:

Hey, i always buy my Samsung phones from samsung and tmobile version. I havent ever had a problem unlocking the device with tmobile and it usually takes 48hr. Just call tmobil, give then ur ime and they will contact samsung and call you back to unlock it theough the app

This is a problem with Apple and Samsung.  They sell carrier models, BUT do not send the IMEIs to carriers to show that the carrier "lock" is active and the carriers can unlock them.  They do give them to carriers, but often a much later date than when most try and get unlocks for.  The best option is to have the receipt and IMEI on hand and talk to T-Force and try and get Samsung to verify and then have the IMEI put into the system.  It's a few extra steps that Apple and Samsung making the process more difficult.

• roborob1969

I'd like to ask a specific question about the Samsung S10 Unlocked version compared to the T-mobile version. 

Does the unlocked version that's available on the samsung site have all the antenna's/LTE capabilities to take advantage of ...

Coverage and Speed

The new Galaxy LTE devices tap into T-Mobile’s 600 MHz Extended Range LTE – now in in more than 2,700 cities and towns across 43 states and Puerto Rico. This means better coverage than before in places like buildings, shopping centers and along rural interstate highways.

Un-carrier customers also get a LTE-Advanced connection across the entirety of T-Mobile’s LTE footprint and get the speed-boosting trifecta of carrier aggregation, 4x4 MIMO and 256 QAM in more than 6,000 cities and towns.

• magenta2512752

Is it still true that unlocked versions get updates last? My understanding is that carrier versions get faster Android updates

• syaoran

That is debateable.  Major OS updates, ut's more than likely last.  Monthly security updatea rhough, rhe U1 firmware based off of the S9 Plus and Note 9, get faster security patches. 

The update schedule for the S10's though are supposed to be better, with the hint that Android Q should hit the S10 line before Thqnksgiving.  Whether or not that actually happens though, we will just have to wait and see. 

Are updates really that important outside of security updates?  Android Q is going to further push Android users to their whits-end with the jestures, pill navbar without a back button, and more over-sized icons everywhere.  Personally, I buy a device for the soecs and look, whichbis what drew me to the V30 from LG before buying an S9 Plus and then a Note 9.  LG is vastly worse than Samsung withbuodates, especially those monthly security updates.  The phone still looks and works great though outside of their defective screens with major uniformity issues.  It has all of the current key LTE bands, decent cameras, and doesn't feel any slower than my Note 9. 

• mosi76

Anyone know if the US unlocked variant of the s10 will have access to native Digits (Multi-line settings)?

I can't seem to get a consistent answer but T-Force assures me that an unlocked version will have access to Multiline settings on an unlocked version when a T-Mobile SIM is inserted in the phone

• magenta5983664

If you are wondering if youll get any speed increases from owning an unlocked phone vs TMO branded phone the short answer is not really and you'd probably never notice,

• keysgate

I chatted with Samsung about this as I didn't want to get a unlocked phone that was somehow hobbled on the TMO network. They told me that the unlocked model has exactly the same capabilities as the TMO model except for Tmobile apps that you can most likely download from the playstore.

• ncguy

You haven't been reading this thread.  The hardware is the same but the software is not exactly the same.   There aren't things like video calling and it's not network optimized including carrier aggregation.   It's going to work but maybe not quite as well as the tmo version.   It all depends on a lot of things.

• postaltech

Carrier aggregation works on my unlocked S10. Band 2, 4, and 12 connected during a speed test.

The dialer does lack video calling. I might look into Google Duo.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                            • ncguy

I guess the Tmo expert from the top of this thread gave us bad info regarding carrier aggregation.  Too bad, that bad info caused me to order the wrong phone!  Not happy.

• keysgate

that exactly what I was saying, Samsung sells carrier phones and unlocked  they told me they are exactly the same  Did not want to start a contest with others on here. Also wifi calling never worked good for me  it's a emergency only thing anyways. And video calling also never worked on mly Tmobile brand S8  I use Duo and it's a great product. My S10 is on order sometime before the 15th. I would of ordered from Tmobile  but got a better deal through Samsung as it's a cash deal.

• postaltech

The WiFi calling seems to work good on my unlocked S10, it's probably dependent upon the network connection. I noticed the LTE indicator at the top of the screen changes to LTE+ when using carrier aggregation. There is no "4G LTE" indicator like the branded phone.

• syaoran

A device using available bands versus being optimized for the best performance using what us available are very different.  Whether or not that impact is small or not, depends on a lot of things.  The T-Mobile firmware will almost always out perform the non-carrier specific and other carrier firmware on the T-Mobile network. 

• ncguy

But you said in your first post, the post that influenced my purchase,  that "  Carrier aggregation for the U1 firmware is also non-existent".   So how credible is what you are saying about optimization?

• postaltech

Here is a screenshot during a speed test.

LTE changes to LTE+ during the test.

Screenshot_20190310-125926_Service mode RIL.jpg

• debjitjdv

ncguy

Unlocked software will just work fine and best of all its bloatware free. I can personally vouch for you. My S9+ which I bought directly from Samsung outperfoms my T-Mobile branded Note 9 in data speeds and voice quality. I am fond of my S9+. Usually the unlocked device softwaresare also certified by the carriers and the firmware configuration changes will happen via Carrier Profile update as soon as you put a carrier SIM card in it. In my Samsung S9+ unlocked I get both CA-2 and CA-3 often with no issues. If yo uwish I can show you some SpeedTest results from my S9+ and Note 9 simultaneously.

Unless you want T-Mo bloatwareslike T-Mo's own video calling (I guess DUO is far better) and if you do not care for DIGITS Multi-line settings, I would suggest you go for Unlocked S10 rom Samsung.com directly. Also Samsung's customer and repairing service is awesome. They send you free labels,, express repair, no hassle, just a call.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                    • magenta8108867

What about RCS support (Advanced Messaging) for an unlocked Galaxy S10 on T-Mobile's network? I was told that you can't get it unless you get the T-Mobile branded version... But not convinced. Anyone?  

• kazaamodo

Just got off the phone with TMB customer support rep. My second call in 7 days. Last week I was told, since this is a TMB locked S10 purchased directly from Samsung, they need to send the IMEI to Samsung for whitelisting, which takes 72 hours.

72 hours passed 2 days ago, called again today, guess why? Phone still locked. Today I was given another run around. The new information is that I need to wait 40 days since I started using the new phone before it will unlock.

This is terrible process. It is my personal phone bought directly from Samsung and paid in full. I simply chose my carrier as asked during check out. Didn't know I was going to be tennis balled between SAM and TMB.

40 days end o  April 16th. Let's see if SAM and TMB have their act together 

• ncguy

Unfortunately getting a tmobile galaxy from Samsung unlocked is just a crap shoot.   I purchased two S9's and an S10 from Samsung.  I was able to get one of my S9s and the S10 unlocked within 2 days.   On the other S9  tmobile tried every trick in the book but in the end the IMEI just never made it to the "database".   Samsung told me occasionally it happens and the only real solution is to return the phone to Samsung for a replacement.   Yes, replace the phone.

I'm not sure you can blame tmobile for this.  Im not really sure if it's tmobile or Samsung but in the end it doesn't really matter.  The 40 days and all that stuff don't really apply to this but some reps are otherwise convinced that it does.  Like I said, I only had to wait 2 days on two of the phones. I really think it just a matter of some IMEI never get put into the database and then they just never can get them added after that happens.

It would make more sense to buy an unlocked phone but I'm always wary that the unlocked won't be as "optimized" for the tmobile network.  I really don't think anyone, despite their claims to know, really knows just what the differences are in the network optimizations.  Depending on where you live and your local bands it may not matter.  Then again, it might ....

• magenta8246702

Spoke to two separate tmobile reps (to be sure) and got the same answer. The unlocked s10e is fully compatible to include 4 x 4 mimo, carrier aggregation, 256 qam and rcs. Ill find out for sure once my unlocked phone arrives

• crux666

here are the bands for the S10+ Unlocked by Samsung, given to me by a chat csr:

Frequencies and Data Type 2G CDMA

CDMA800,USPCS1900

2G GSM

GSM850,GSM900,DCS1800,PCS1900

3G CDMA

BC0(800),BC1(1900),BC10(800)

3G CDMA Diversity

BC0(800),BC1(1900),BC10(800)

3G UMTS(WCDMA)

Here is the specific frequencys for the S10+.

B1(2100),B2(1900),B4(AWS),B5(850),B8(900)

3G UMTS(WCDMA) Diversity

B1(2100),B2(1900),B4(AWS),B5(850),B8(900)

3G TD-SCDMA

B34(2010),B39(1880)

4G LTE FDD

B1(2100),B2(1900),B3(1800),B4(AWS),B5(850),B7(2600),B8(900),B12(700),B13(700),B14(700),B17(700),B18(800),B19(800),B20(800),B25(1900),B26(850),B28(700),B29(700),B30(2300),B66(AWS-3),B71(600)

4G LTE TDD

B38(2600),B39(1900),B40(2300),B41(2500),B46(5200)

• sjohnson808

The only difference would be that T-Mobile branded phones have HD video calling

• crux666

Ended up taking the plunge, and ordered through Samsung direct an 'unlocked by samsung" variant of the s10+ ... but let me tell you, it was the worst experience ever. Samsung has absolutely atrocius custemor service and support. I placed an order utilizing Unidays student discount, samsung reward points where your points get 4x ifiused onopurchase of a phone $50=$200 ($150 savings), and tradein. after placing order, i realrealized i used wrong card, but before cancelling consulted with a chat csr, who informed me that if i cancel all the promos will remain. So i cancelled the order feeling confident, but when at checkout for the reorder, the 4x sammy points was not applicable no more... 6 customer reps later, being transferred back and forth, the last rep tells me reluctantly that best they can do is put a request for $25 inconvenience credit lol. Thus had to create a new samsung pay account to get a new 4x promo (initiated through it so is required, as that promo is 1 time use only, unlike what the first csr wrongly told me) . ... Fast forward to me receiving the package, which was quite a big shipping box, and inside I find a mixed salad of all the innarda of the phone box scattered across this big shipping box. turns out somehow the 3 see through stickers that secure the box from opening were not there at all! so i call samsung again, who tell me tough luck, we dont do exchange, do a return and reorder... and i didnt bother saying the promo would not apply again. so i opened a 3d sammy pay account and redid deal again....

Apart from that rant, when i put in my tmobile sim in, the phone initiated a restart to register sim, then restarted a 2nd time, loaded up, entered into a brief setup window, then restarted again and is working on average 4 bars in brooklyn midwood/sheepsheadbay area

• jrewing

I can assure you from experience that the unlocked models are hampered on the T-mobile network. I just bought an S10 unlocked from Samsung and it only gets 1-2 bars, where my wife's Note 9 T-mobile variant gets 4-5 bars. T-mobile did a network reset and did not work.

I'm sending my S10 back and getting a T-mobile version.

• syaoran

Bars are not an accuate representation of signal.  Ea h carrier sets what those bars represent, so the same -dB of service per firmware variant will differ even though they are actually receiving pretty close to the same signal strength.

• mrdoh

Having an unlocked S10 with the May1 "Monthly Android security update" in August, I can tell you one of the big disadvantages of getting an unlocked S10. You don't get updates. So you don't get the security or stability updates, or if you do you get them so late it hardly matters.

I'm debating flashing the the T-Mobile firmware on my S10 so that I can get monthly updates instead of quarterly (or worse). I really don't want to do that, I wanted an unlocked phone so I wouldn't have carrier junk on my phone. However, it looks like if I want an updated phone, I'll have to give up having an unlocked one.

By the way, before I bought the unlocked version, I looked online and saw that Samsung was "committed" to monthly Android security updates. Pure marketing BS for my phone. Don't know if I'll be buying another Samsung phone...nice piece of hardware, but the software really doesn't live up to the hardware potential. Both iPhones and Pixel phones get updates when they're released. Samsung phones, not so much.

• syaoran

I have yet to see any manufacturer hold up to delivering monthly security updates every month for the first year.  Google technically isn't a manufacturer since they don't make their hardware but buying a Google device is about the only way to guarantee those security updates every month for the first year.

• mrdoh

Sorry, I don't take that as an excuse, "bad as the rest". And that good old "everybody else is worse" argument doesn't hold water for me, either. They shouldn't commit if they can't deliver, people make decisions based on commitments. Having the May 1 updates on my S10 in August is far from monthly, not even close. Maybe quarterly, there's going to have be an update soon to meet even that goal. Not holding my breath at this point. I read the PUBLIC monthly update bulletins from Samsung and see what's being fixed...my phone hasn't gotten the fixes for the public "exploits fixed" list, and it doesn't take much thought to figure out what that implies for the security of my phone. And then there's the non-security fixes, the parts of the phone that are being "enhanced" and "stabilized"...don't get those either, of course.

I could go on, but it's just too frustrating to think about. I'm not looking for an apology from Samsung, or an apologist for them, I'm looking for the updates that they promise.

• phillyspecialgalaxys10plusunlocked

I have the Galaxy S10 unlocked version. I was getting the run around from T Mo and Samsung. Nobody would tell me anything and blame each other. Samsung even sent me to UbreakIfix without any help. I just read on here a way to force the update. It may work for you as well and you are at risk of damaging your device

1) turn off your device and make sure your device has more than 75%. power.

2) slide the sim tray partial out

3) Power up device

4) Go through the steps to get the update

5) You may need to wait several minutes like I did before you get the update. Prior it was stuck on the May update

6) Wait for update to finish

7) Turn off device

8) slide tray back in

9) Turn on and enjoy

Hope this helps because I was beyond fustrated!!!

• phillyspecialgalaxys10plusunlocked

Night mode does not work and taking pictures in the dark does not work after updating using the above method I posted. Sorry for the trouble!!!