iPhone XS removing SIM-Lock

endeavour1701

Hi everyone.

The iPhone XS (XS Max and XR) has a physical SIM slot and a digital SIM.

With both of them, a unique IMEI.

After 40 days on the network, with an account in good standing, you are normaly eligible to unlock your phone.

That means, you can use a SIM card from a different carrier.

To do so, you need to provide your IMEI.

When purchasing your phone at T-Mobile, I believe both IMEI are SIM-Locked.

When you provide the digital SIM IMEI, their system doesn't recognize the device.

I have unlock my iPhone by providing the IMEI of the physical slot.

In many places, I have read that a request must be done for both IMEI, because a carrier can unlock one slot only if they want. So the request to Apple server must be for both IMEI.

I have read somewhere else that T-Mobile unlock both IMEI by providing only the physical SIM IMEI.

So, what is the turth ? Is my phone unlock for both IMEI or not ?

Is the eSIM unlocked or not ?

I am asking here, because no rep is able to answer that question. THey don't even understand the question.

I got a superviser at the phone, during 1 hour, and she was saying that since they are not supporting the eSIM, they can't help debugging the digital SIM...

This is so weird...

So, if anyone has been able to remove the SIM lock and use their phone with a different carrier on the eSIM, could be nice to share your experience...

And if a T-Mobile engineer is here around, if he can reply to this question, could be nice...

Because at the store, they are selling a dual-SIM phone, but if they can't remove the SIM lock (supposedly because they don't support the eSIM), means you can't use the dual-SIM feature while you travel around the world.

So, before knowing the real answer, be careful purchasing your new iPhone at T-Mobile...

All replies

• snn555

Re: iPhone XS removing SIM-Lock

right now esim is only available for prepaid customers so postpaid customers wouldn't even be able to activate the esim. As far as unlocking the phone itself there are requirements which are here.

Unlock your mobile wireless device

• endeavour1701

snn555 wrote:

right now esim is only available for prepaid customers so postpaid customers wouldn't even be able to activate the esim. As far as unlocking the phone itself there are requirements which are here.

Unlock your mobile wireless device

Hi snn555 !

The question is not about activating a postpaid account on the eSIM or knowing if the iPhone is eligible for unlock...

The question is : when we are giving the IMEI of the phyisical SIM (since it's the only recognized by T-Mobile), and you are approved for the unlock, does the unlock applied to both IMEI or only the physical SIM ?

In the case of the eSIM, you can't just put a SIM card from another carrier to verify if it's unlock or not. You can't transfer a profile of a digital SIM to test..

P.S.

Just FYI, customers can activate a postpaid account on their eSIM. A quick search online, and you will see...

• snn555

Sorry I must have misread your question. Also I can only report on things that TMobile can do as they have advertised. I can't really get into different ways to get around the system that T-Mobile has not made official. Not on a T-mobile community forum anyway.

It's kind of like rooting a phone. It can be done we just don't talk about it here.

• endeavour1701

snn555 wrote:

Sorry I must have misread your question. Also I can only report on things that TMobile can do as they have advertised. I can't really get into different ways to get around the system that T-Mobile has not made official. Not on a T-mobile community forum anyway.

It's kind of like rooting a phone. It can be done we just don't talk about it here.

I wish a T-Mobile person can come here and answer this question.

Seems like this question is science-fiction to the people I've been talking with...

• tmo_amanda

Hey, endeavour1701!

I'm gonna do my best to answer your question as I'm still a bit confused. IMEI's are attached to the device itself, not the SIM. When the device is "SIM unlocked", that also means the IMEI (or device) is unlocked. There's also a PUK code that's required if your physical SIM gets locked, but the only requirement to get the PUK code (if you didn't save the punch out card that the physical SIM originally came in -- this wouldn't be applicable to eSIMs) is to contact us and verify your account.

Please let me know if that answers your question or if I was waaaaay off in understanding what you're asking.

• endeavour1701

tmo_amanda wrote:

Hey, endeavour1701!

I'm gonna do my best to answer your question as I'm still a bit confused. IMEI's are attached to the device itself, not the SIM. When the device is "SIM unlocked", that also means the IMEI (or device) is unlocked. There's also a PUK code that's required if your physical SIM gets locked, but the only requirement to get the PUK code (if you didn't save the punch out card that the physical SIM originally came in -- this wouldn't be applicable to eSIMs) is to contact us and verify your account.

Please let me know if that answers your question or if I was waaaaay off in understanding what you're asking.

Hi Amanda,

I am aware of the PUK to unlock the PIN code in case of you do it wrong 3 times. Also, this applied to the eSIM. You can have a PIN code to the eSIM too...

Anyway,this wasn't my question. But you understood what I meant by SIM-Unlocked.

Thanks for being here. Happy to have a tmo trying to answer this question.

When you purchase a phone from T-Mobile, the phone itself has a SIM-Locked applied, means you can use only T-Mobile SIM cards inside the phone.

I have the iPhone XS, and so, dual-SIM, and so, two IMEI. The SIM-lock is applied to both IMEI.

When I requested the unlock, I provided the IMEI of my physical SIM. The unlock has been done.

The problem is, what about the IMEI of the digital SIM ?

Is the lock removed or not ?

Everywhere it says that for the iPhone XS, the carrier must request the unlock for both IMEI.

I have read at one place that T-Mobile, when requesting the unlock and providing the physical SIM IMEI unlock for both.

But nobody can tell if it;s true or not, and obviously, I can't insert a SIM card to try right now.

This is what I need to know.

• tmo_amanda

Ahhhhh. I'm with you now!

Sadly, I'm an iPhone user and had no idea about the "digital SIM unlock". However...I just read our internal content and clearly see where it states there are two IMEI's for eSIM compatible iPhones. Just to be sure I'm giving you 100% accurate information, I'm gonna chat with a colleague that works with Apple and the SIM unlock process. Hopefully I'll have an answer today. If not, it'll be the beginning of next week.

• tmo_amanda

Would ya look at that -- I already got a response back !

When the physical SIM card slot is unlocked, the eSIM is unlocked at the same time. The most important step to the unlocking both is to make sure the physical SIM IMEI is provided when requesting the SIM unlock.

• endeavour1701

tmo_amanda wrote:

Would ya look at that -- I already got a response back !

When the physical SIM card slot is unlocked, the eSIM is unlocked at the same time. The most important step to the unlocking both is to make sure the physical SIM IMEI is provided when requesting the SIM unlock.

Hi Amanda,

As far as I have been able to see, the carrier must request the unlock for both IMEI. So, this means T-Mobile knows both of them.

This is good news. You are the first person being able to actually understand the question and willing to get the information. Truly appreciated.

My experience with team of expert:

Answer I got from the local team of expert, coming from a supervisor, instead of searching the info, was simply : Since we are not supporting eSIM for postpaid, we can't help troubleshoot eSIM! MEans even if T-Mobile apply a SIM-lock, we can't help you with the unlock...

So, this means simply that : Since T-Mobile is not supporting eSIM, you are not allowed to use it with different carrier when you travel in foreign country.

I found this pretty strange answer.

So thank you for checking in with the right person.

Have a great day

• tmo_amanda

You're very welcome, endeavour1701!

I'm going to work with the same person that I got the answer from to update our content internally so hopefully this doesn't happen again. It's always rough getting two different answers and knowing which one is correct. 

• endeavour1701

Amanda wrote:

You're very welcome, endeavour1701!

I'm going to work with the same person that I got the answer from to update our content internally so hopefully this doesn't happen again. It's always rough getting two different answers and knowing which one is correct.

Hi,

Thanks for the effort.

It is very frustrating when you call the team of expert and they have no clue about what you are talking about.

It is ok for not knowing an answer, but my feeling is that they have too much pride and don't want to search the correct info, and then tells you what's on their mind. And since they have no clue in technology, they are telling something wrong...

At the store, at the time of the purchase, the guy was making assumptions instead of searching answers. And obviously he was wrong.

So, again, thanks for your help and your commitment, which is really, really appreciated. What you did is the kind of communication we are looking for...

Have a great day,