Been a while....

snn555

....since we had something off topic and musically-related.

As a fan of Ronnie James Dio, especially the song "Rainbow in the Dark" which he almost cut from the album "Holy Diver," plus my love of Stone Sour, I thought this cover from a few years back was noteworthy.

Corey Taylor - Rainbow in the Dark (DIO cover HQ) - YouTube

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Re: Been a while....

Oh man, Corey Taylor.

I haven't listened to him or any related projects in ages. Has he done anything new lately?

-Lauren

• gramps28

I had a friend who was the led singer in local bands that covered a lot of Dio unfortuanetly

when he moved to LA to further his career he died of a heart attack ,in his 20's, in a pick up basketball game.

His vocal range was out of this world since he also covered Heart.

• tmo_mike_c

I sometimes get stuck in my own musical realm and don't branch out. Lately, I've been letting YouTube take me on a magical journey of new music recommendations. Feels great to come across something I've never heard, but really like. That cover was pretty good!

• snn555

Rainbow in the Dark lead to German techno death metal lead to Kid Rocks PoDunk. And then stuff got weird.

IDK.  I'm only about 40 years old .

I can still spin glowsticks with the best of them.   

• dc5fan

I KNOW I'm stuck, and I'm lovin' it! I started listening to music when I was 12 (that was 56 years ago). Collected a LOT of records (vinyl), and I took care of them. When I bought a Philips Audio CD recorder I went nuts putting my favourites on CDs, and along came a Roxio program so I could convert the .cda files to mp3s. The mp3s sounded better than the records (I don't know why). So you young whipper snappers, but you'll be in my shoes in the next couple of years. So take care of your collections!

• snn555

well I know you're a drummer and I'm pretty sure Joey jordison's drumming style is not really your bag of tea however he is one of the more renowned drummers in the world of music at least as far as metal goes. You can find his work in the earlier albums by Slipknot. Again not your cup of tea but there's something in common with drumming.

• dc5fan

I haven't picked up a pair of sticks since 2010 due to health problems. The drummer you mention I have never heard of. One drummer that has impressed me was Rush's Neil Peart. He retired late last year. There are two types of drummers. They are a drummer, and a drummer's drummer. Perhaps Joey is in the second category. Me, I belong to the first category. I could do a decent job on "Wipe Out" (The Surfaris). I did learn, over 50 years ago, the drummer is the most important member of a band. He had to have a very good sense of timing. To me probably the worst member of a band was the lead guitarist. Most of the ones I worked with had egos like crazy. My other asset was singing. I loved doing the 3rd part harmony, and if the key was lower I could do the 5th part. I will check out Joey J and get back to you.Thanks for the suggestion.

• gramps28

The lead guitarist I knew always said the job of the drummer was to hang out with the bass player.

On a side not the best/most entertaining drummer I saw was Tommy Lee. The things that guy could do was amazing

and this doesn't count his home made videos.

The drummer from Def Leppard also was very good until his accident.