Hiya... Now pay to use

snn555

I had been pushing Hiya vs NameID because NameID used Hiya previously as the data source, so  why pay for NameID if Hiya was free.?.

Hiya just came out of beta, and it's about $3 a month or $15 a year based on monthly or annual subscription.

Just a heads up. 

What is it T-mobile NameID uses now....Data First or First Orion or some such?

Trying TrueCaller again now.  It tends to bug me tonise it's text app instead of stock.  We'll see.

What are y'all using for ID?

Screenshot_20190129-215245.png

All replies

• endeavour1701

Re: Hiya... Now pay to use

Hi snn555,

You have to pay only for the Premium. You can still get updates and you will still block the spam, scam and robocall with the free version.

I am still using it.

But since I activated the free option from T-Mobile to block the spam/scam, i almost got no phone calls from these scam.

• snn555

Yes that's kind of where I am on the situation. I looked back and I only had about two to three scam blocked calls each month the past 3 or 4 months. So I'm not overly concerned about that because it seems as if T-Mobile blocking features are working properly. Is the live real-time caller ID that I'm more concerned with.

Hiya was pretty good about getting most names correct.  I had been requesting less purple in the UI and a way to report the correct name for incorrectly reported names and that feature never arrived.

Truecaller seems to be almost neck-and-neck with hiya in fact it identifies some calls hiya did not and vice versa.

So now it's on to test T-Mobile name ID against the other two. And as a fourth competitor would be Google which is built into my phone however Google phone app really only IDs businesses that are in their database and not so much personal names.

• endeavour1701

I am actually using both Hiya and Trucaller.

I was just typing the phone number of Apple SUpport for iPhone ( 800-694-7466 ) and Trucaller is identifying it as : Spam - Support Scam

Since I am calling that number, I don't really care. But this number is definitely not a scam, or many Android user who dislike Apple reported that number. (Anyway, I am not entering that battle, every one choose what's fit their needs).

But both together works fine.

I have the paid One Plus option at $10 (I guess a little bit different than the actual option at $15). And it comes with the NameID.

So I haven't been really concerned by using Hiya for that.

I haven't tried the caller ID with Truecaller either.

Sorry not being able to help more with this.

By the way, if you want to hide your phone number when you call back someone you don't know, type your number by adding #31# in front of the number (without the international code like +1). No caller ID for the one being called.

Good tip.

• snn555

Here are the facts. Truecaller is pretty good about identifying most everything and hiya was pretty good about the same thing however Truecaller is free unless you want the gold membership so that you can see who viewed your profile or make some other sort of a network connection. T-Mobile name ID. This is where things get a different.

there are two versions of the app. There is the old version that worked with hiya as the database source that is available through sideload APK on Android. It is the version that was included with all T-Mobile branded devices. The other version is the Google Play Store version which is not exactly the same. You can download either or but on an unbranded T-Mobile Android device only the Google Play Store app will work. The stock T-Mobile name ID app included with Android phones that were T-Mobile branded works as a screen overlay and let you know who is calling as the phone ringing. If you do not have a T-Mobile branded device you are only able to see who called after the call is ended and you have access to the app and looked through the log. This of course is of no use because you need to know who is calling as they are calling so that you know to answer the phone or not. Nobody can answer the phone and then look at the app to know who called them to know if they should pick up or not.

• snn555

so basically at this point in time I am using Truecaller because it is the best I can find that will accurately name who is calling while they are calling and let me know to pick up or not as well as block any scam or spam messages or calls.

T-Mobile name ID does not work for me unless I have missed a call or decline the call and then looked it up through the app. Hiya is on my blacklist at this point because there is absolutely no point in using that application because it does not actively block any spam or scam it does not tell you who is calling when they call without a premium membership.

T-Mobile name ID is not work for me because I do not have a T-Mobile branded device. Also TMobile no longer uses hiya. They use another source.T-

• endeavour1701

Oh, I see what you mean...

I am on iPhone, so I am not facing the same issue. I have an app for NameID from T-Mobile. I haven't seen from it that it can show directly, like Hiya and Truecaller, when you receive a phone call if it's a scam or not.

It is more like setting T-Mobile account for blocking different types of calls, using the free scam blocking.

And with the One Plus option, you get the NameID feature, and so, additional features.

But it's not like a layer when you receive a phone call.

I better understand what you meant now.

And so, no clue what the answer is to your inital question. Sorry.

• snn555

yeah for some reason Apple's call kit doesn't work with a lot of the caller ID apps for real-time identification. I had that same problem on my iPhone 7 plus a while back where I could only tell who was calling after the call. Unfortunately that is an iOS issue whereas Android will allow a layer as we say.

I guess it's really neither here nor there because running both apps Truecaller and hiya side by side a lot of the times they get the names wrong or one gets it right and other one is widely off. So if I don't recognize I don't answer.

• endeavour1701

Used to be the case what you experienced.

Now, it's open to call identificaiton and blocking to other apps.

It's just up to T-Mobile to update their app on iOS.

But my recent experience with T-Mobile showed me that they are very very slow at implementing new technology, and especially likes not communicating about it. They can't even understand a simple question. Anyway, happy of what I get with my plan, especially since I travel every year abroad.

But this is different subject.

Running Hiya and Truecaller side by side, I am wondering which one has the priority.

I need to call Apple regarding the SIM-unlock processus (which T-Mobile can't answer regarding digital SIM), so I may ask them also regarding the call identification.

Don't know when I will be able to call them, but not sure you need the answer since you are on Android.

Any clue on Android how it's prioritzed ?

• snn555

Name ID, Google phone, hiya, Truecaller all show in the screen at the same time, but not overlapped. I could see all 4 (back when I had a branded tmo device) 3 now, at the same time.

• snn555

I forgot to mention mr. Number. That is essentially the same app is hiya except the UI is a different color and is even owned by the same company. as of right now it still functions like hi I did a week ago without a subscription. so I think I may venture over in use it considering it is hiya except free. That is until they either stop it or go to a subscription model.

• endeavour1701

snn555 wrote:

I forgot to mention mr. Number. That is essentially the same app is hiya except the UI is a different color and is even owned by the same company. as of right now it still functions like hi I did a week ago without a subscription. so I think I may venture over in use it considering it is hiya except free. That is until they either stop it or go to a subscription model.

So, any difference between HIya and Mr.Number ? I can see that the interface is the same, and as yu said, different color.

Hiya has in the IN-App purchase a fee for number lookups that Mr.Number doesn't.

Any benefit of getting both you think ?

Edit:

I just tried to download it. Mr.Number is on subscription only on iOS...

• snn555

well if it's subscription based on iOS now it won't be long before Android is too. Outside of that there really is no huge difference other than the color and the fact that mr. Number does not have the call screener that hiya has. to tell the truth I'm not sure high has call screener anymore. I know it did in the beta version but it was a little hokey because it would send a message to the caller to identify themselves and then once they responded to call back and the user would answer the phone. But of course that did not work with landlines.