Samsung Galaxy out of memory

jneville

The Samsung Galaxy with 8GB doesn't have enough memory to update the very few apps. That's partially because there are a bunch of standard apps that I can't delete that came with the phone. How do I expand the phone memory to handle the few apps I need?

All replies

• syaoran

Re: Samsung Galaxy out of memory

Use ADB to remove the unwanted bloatware.  Instructions to remove apps via ADB are very easy to find.

• tmo_chris

Hey jneville 

The suggestion from syaoran  is helpful but just so you know, this is not something that we support so definitely be sure to take it slow. What Samsung device are you using?

• jneville

I have a Samsung Galaxy Prime (SM-G530T). It’s jammed up with apps that I do not use and cannot delete. I need to free up space.

• tmo_mike_c

Might be a good idea to check the memory and see where most of it is being consumed. For example, videos and images can take up space. If you have a memory card, you could offload some of your phones info to that and clear up space.

• jneville

Of course, that is the first thing I did. I have an expansion chip with plenty of room. However, there are a bunch of apps that cannot be moved to the memory card. That's the problem. There are too many preloaded apps that I cannot delete or move to the memory card. They are fouling up the memory on my phone so that there is no room for updates. I need to know how to delete the unused, preloaded apps or move them to the memory card.

• tmo_mike_c

I hear ya. That's the tough part because we don't have a way we can give you to remove pre-installed apps without compromising the warranty or altering the phone's software. That's just not something we support here.

• syaoran

Using ADB does not compromise the phone's software or firmware and does not void the warranty!  However, with most things, a lack of thurough reading and understanding on how to use ADB and making sure that what you want to removed is correctly identified and entered properly with the command are very important. 

For those familiar with DOS or Linux will understand it easily.  For others, 20 minutes of reading up on ADB and how to identify the actual filenames of the apk's you want to remove are the hardest aspects of the process.