2g network and prepaid sim problems/help

schtozo

hello, i undestood that tmobile still has its 2g network active, i was trying to use an old phone of mine and my at&t sim doesnt work on it because at&t shut down its 2g network. I tried my friends tmobile sim card on the phone im trying to use and it perfectly worked. i went ahead and bought a prepaid sim from tmobile to use it with my old phone but its not working, it simply is not being recognized by the phone. So my questions are:

1- does the prepaid sim work only on 3g and up networks?

2- can i do something about my prepaid sim and make it work?

3- am i missing something?

thank you..

All replies

• dc5fan

Re: 2g network and prepaid sim problems/help

If you bought the SIM card from a T-Mobile store go back, and they should set it up, What I have learned from this Community is if a phone is 2-3 years old it may be outdated. What phone is it, and what was its last carrier?

• schtozo

it is froma tmobile store, i went back, changed the sim and same thing persisted. The phone cant recognize the sim. Keeps telling me insert sim. 2 of the personel tried their sims and it worked. It is the prepaid sim that aint working. Theat is when one of the staff said, “it must be because it is prepaid”. Hence my doubts and questions here... the phone is a 20 years UNLOCKED old ericsson t28 world that operates on 900/1900mhz 2g only bands. It perfectly worked on at&t like 3-4 years ago before they shut down 2g and it perfectly worked on tmobile postpaid sim 3 days ago.

• dc5fan

I'm not able to offer anything else. A 20 year old phone? Would you know the bands that are used in your area? In mine it is Bands 2 and 4.One of the moderators or pillars will see this.

• schtozo

Yes 20 years old, in puerto rico they use band 1900mhz for 2g. The phone supports 1900 and as i said it already worked some days ago with my friends tmobile sim. It is very weird and can really be pointed towards the prepaid sim in specific. Nothing else to suspect. But why would prepaid sims work differently than postpaid? Doesnt make sense....

• syaoran

The 2G portion of the network might only be there for international roaming use only or for emergency services.  Have you managed to get a SIM to work in the device?  SIM's do change as time passes.  The newer SIM's might not be compatible with your device. 

• schtozo

Im currently speaking with 611 as i type, yes my friends, probably 2-3 years old tmobile sim worked perfectly with my phone. Its only this prepaid sim that aint doing the job... so frustrating!

• tmo_amanda

Hey there, schtozo!

Did you have any luck working with our Customer Care team on Monday? Keep me updated if this is still happening.

• schtozo

No luck, but i already narrowed it down and i think i have the definite answer thanks to some trial and errors from my part. Apparently the latest sims tmobile is using are not compatible with 2g. Tm9263 to be specific. However when i try a tm9260 from my friends, it work without any issues. I have tried 4 9260 sims and they perfectly work, its only with the 9263 that the old phone is not working, phone doesnt recognize the sim. I think tmobile have to look into this and correct the problem, there is a lot of us that like vintage phones to be working, phone collectors and such... it will be nice if tmobile gives our old devices a chance to be out there working until they finally shut down the 2g network for good! Thank you for listening... please do the right thing or advice what should i do

• tmo_amanda

Hey, schtozo!

I'm happy to read that you were able to narrow down the issue to being the SIM. I completely understand where you're coming from and how much you need and want the 9263 SIM to work. I will gladly pass along the feedback, however, I'm not sure how much change will be done with how much technology has changed in the past 20 years.