Fraudulent Sale of My SIM card

robertmann

Yesterday, someone went into a T-Mobile retail store used a fake California Drivers License to buy a copy of my SIM card.  Fortunately, I received a text message stating that a SIM card had been issued to my account.  I called T-Mobile Customer Service and the Rep told me how I was compromised, helped me change my SIM card and reported the fraud. I was concerned regarding how related accounts on my phone might be compromised. She suggested that i change all passwords used on my phone and tried to connect me to t-mobile fraud prevention.  She was unable to connect me before my call was terminated (dropped).

I called customer service again and a new rep was very helpful and informed me he would try to get someone from fraud to talk to me, then told me that they had gone home but would call me today.  I did not get this call so this morning I called again and was told that I could not talk to the fraud group, they had no contact information to give me and that they would complete a form reporting my problem but could not give me any indication that my case would be escalated to security or fraud prevention.

Here are my questions:

• Will T-Mobile file a police report regarding the fraud?
    • Will T-Mobile investigate any further?
    • How was this person able to get into my account with a fake ID and what other personal information did this person use to get into my account
    • Will T-Mobile security/fraud ever contact me to tell me the implications of someone gaining access to my SIM card
    • What does T-Mobile do to prevent this type of fraud

If you were victimized in a similar way what did you learn?

Robert

All replies

• dc5fan

Re: Fraudulent Sale of My SIM card

If you are able to use your phone call 611 (Customer Service), or if you can't call 1-800-TMOBILE! If you want to wait around for awhile a moderator might drop by and could offer better advice. I really wouldn't wait too long, AND since someone has a fake ID I would call the police and tell them what's going on. I don't think it'll hurt.

• tmo_mike_c

That shouldn't have happened to you and I'm sorry you've had to contact us more than once to report this. I want to make sure an incident report was filed as well as answer your questions.

• We have a dedicated team that cooperates with law enforcement involving identity theft.
          • Our internal team will investigate what happened with any fraudulent activity on your account.
          • We only give account access to customers that are able to fully verify the account. It's hard for me to say exactly how without looking into how the store experience went.
          • We can have folks follow up with you after filing that incident report to give you peace of mind.
          • We do have more identity theft and fraud information on our Identity Theft | Protecting Yourself Against Identity Theft page. This page includes what T-Mobile does to prevent this from happening.

To file this incident report, we need one of our TEX or T-Force folks help to properly verify and access your account. Afterwards, they'll collect information about what happened and send this report to our internal fraud team to investigate.

• barcodeable

I had someone hack into my Walmart online account and order several unlocked phones using my credit card that was stored in my account. I noticed that these savvy crooks changed my email address to an address that looks similar to mine... and they had the merchandise shipped to a different address that was listed on my account... the funny thing was, that this person hacked my account, used my credit card and Walmart was actually protecting the identity of the theif...lol. They would not provide any information about the person, or the address and phone number they used. A company should protect the interest of the customers not hide the information of the criminal. Luckily i was able to go into my account and look at my profile and screenshot the address the theif used. Im sure it was one of those mailing portal po boxes.... but at least i felt like i had some information to ease my nerves.

I really wouldn't expect T-Mobile to keep you in the loop regarding someone hacking into your account. They may handle this matter internally or maybe not... you will probably never know. Companies don’t share information to the consumer or public inorder to minimize how large this problem may actually be.

I received a document in the mail involving a class action lawsuit against T-Mobile for a data breach that occured some time ago... I ripped it up and tossed it in the trash..... i don’t like getting involved in those things.... and what If that class action lawsuit paper was a scam also... and stupid me...fill this information out and the scammers get more personal info from me.... GoTcHa

i hope your dilemma gets rectified in the end...

• dc5fan

At least you are not liable for those fraudulent charges. I believe I only have one account that has my CC. It is PayPal. I remember several years ago I received a call from one of my CC's. Did I buy a pair of shoes in Italy? I quickly said no. The reply was great, you are not responsible for that purchase. I came close to letting T-Mobile have my CC number for when I needed to add funds. When you wrote about that breach it ain't gonna happen. I hope they catch those SO#s. Thanks for sharing your experience!