Poor Customer Service - Device unlock

jwaltisp28

First I want to describe the circumstances leading up to my poor customer experience today. I have recently purchased an iPhone 6s Plus second hand from a person my local area via the Facebook market. Before exchanging money for the phone I double checked all of the necessary requirements to ensure I received a fully functional and capable phone. The IMEI showed to be completely clear and the Carrier was set to unknown or NONE. This was checked through several IMEI checker sites. The owner also ensured that the phone was paid for completely without contract and to her knowledge the phone was unlocked. The phone was purchased in 2016 was used with T-mobile and then she used it with a Straight Talk card. I have had over  4 different conversations with T-mobile staff today. The most recent one I was hung up on by a manager, that seemed to be flat out lying to me. During the process of trying to have this iPhone unlocked for Internation use, I was transferred to a manager. Which then recommended I utilize services from a company called mobile unlock. Which seemed very odd for a T-mobile employee to be recommending a third party unlocking services. After telling the manager that the cost for doing such unlocks required over $100 dollars to complete. She then said she would send me a link via email to use Itunes to factory unlock my phone. After confirming the email address with her twice and then also using a second email I never received the promised email link from this manager. In the process of waiting for the email, I was disconnected or hung up on by the manager. At this point I am furious and most likely will never do business with T-mobile again. This phone is over two years old, Icloud locked to my Icloud account, and with a clear IMEI and serial number. There should be no reason why T-mobile reserves the right to keep the phone locked to their company. Under the "Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act" this should not be allowed by T-mobile. If this issue does not get resolved, all that will be left in my meager capability is to report to the BBB and spread the word about my experience with T-mobile.

Sincerely

Jared W.

01/07/2019

All replies

• snn555

Re: Poor Customer Service - Device unlock

I think the explanation is simple although of course the answer is probably not what you want to hear. The original customer with T-Mobile using a T-Mobile bought phone should have had it unlocked before switching to straight talk. Most people know whether or not they have gone through the process to unlock an iPhone or not. Is usually not something you forget. none-the-less whether you're a T-Mobile customer or not at this point you have a phone that was never unlocked. The original owner would have to unlock it but they would also have to be an active T-Mobile customer.Unlock your mobile wireless device

• jwaltisp28

Again, I bought this phone second hand from the original owner. I do not within my power have the ability to make the owner call and unlock it. The original owner is not communicating with me via facebook messenger anymore. What is a shame here is that the phone is not locked to her account. I can pop a T-mobile sim or straight talk sim in this phone and use it. That shows me all T-mobile is worried about is keeping customers in the system. If T-mobile was truly concerned for the security of their devices and customer accounts the phone would be locked to one particular number. I am currently an AT&T customer and now have a completely useless phone because of T-Mobile.

I have proof of the purchase transaction

The phone is Icloud locked in my name.

The phone is paid off.

The phone has had over 12 months of service payments.

• snn555

The transaction was between you and the seller. It was their responsibility to unlock.

• jwaltisp28

Not helpful at all, I checked the phone. The IEMI showed to be carrier unlocked. I am the guy stuck in the middle between the original customer and T-mobile. I can't force the previous owner to do anything, this is an unreasonable requirement from T-MOBILE. I now left with no other options. I will be filing a complaint with BBB and filing a suit against T-mobile and the owner to try to recoup my loses.

• syaoran

Good luck with your BBB complaint.  T-Mobile's conditions are very clear!  You should have done a little more research on where the person purchased the device from and called the carrier to verify it was unlocked before purchasing it.  T-Mobile is not responsible because you are unhappy with the terms they sold the original owner the device under. 

• jwaltisp28

LOL, T-mobile is not even accredited with BBB anymore. I checked everything. There was no T-mobile branding on the phone, no IMEI designation, and a Straight Talk Sim card functioning in it. Tell me how the hell as a consumer I am to find out if the Phone is carrier locked if the seller is not forthcoming? By the way, these are T-mobiles conditions. I am not a T-mobile customer, I own this hardware, not them. T-mobile is directly responsible for the circumstance I am in. Under the carrier unlock act this phone is eligible to be unlocked, T-mobile just doesn't want to facilitate the unlocking unless I am a customer.

• snn555

They can unlock it for the original customer. Example..... second owner might just be a thief.  The first owner wouldn't like that much would they?

• jwaltisp28

I have proof of purchase between me and the seller and the phone has never been reported stolen or lost. Second, what does a carrier unlock have to do with the security of the device? I can go buy a prepaid T-mobile sim and use it all the same? Where is the security in that? This is an iPhone which has far better security through apple services than a simple carrier lock. I can't even find a valid email or number to call to file a complaint with T-mobile for how I was treated on by one of there managers.

• syaoran

Ask for the original receipt for the device before you purchase it.  Try a different SIM or two in it for a completely different providers.  There are many steps you could have taken to verify if it was SIM unlocked, but you didn't. 

The device you purchased works exactly the same way as it was sold to the original owner.  Carrier purchased devices are usually sold SIM locked.  It is the original owners responsibility to SIM unlock a device purchased from T-Mobile before terminating their service that the device was purchased under.  . 

• jwaltisp28

Again I understand the current policy T-mobile states. T-mobile should have branded their phone or at the very least kept the global IMEI report up to date. None of you are offering solutions. Do yall all work for T-mobile cause you seem to flying their banner. Again I am just person that got stuck in in the middle and now I am getting crapped on by T-mobile and the original seller. Apparently, I have to learn this lesson with my pocketbook because none seems to want to help. I had even considered using T-mobile in the future because they have a better price per unit plans than At&t, but I am not happy with the resources and customer services.

• syaoran

Personally, I don't like branded devices unless they are a T-Mobile Sidekick or something like that.  I don't work for T-Mobile but I am an informed customer.  It sucks that you got stuck in the middle, but you are also not owning up to the mistakes you made when purchasing a device from a third party.  It is an expensive lesson but one that will cost you whatever a third party unlocking site will charge to unlock it.  If you are lucky and find someone sympathetic within T-Mobile and are a current customer.  Maybe, just maybe they will offer you a bill credit for the cost of unlocking the device.  It sounds like you aren't a T-Mobile customer though, which unfortunately doesn't leave you with many choices.  Keep trying to get a hold of the seller and explain to them that they sold you a device that they led you to believe was unlocked and wasn't or find an unlocking site online that can unlock the device for you and pay the fee and consider that fee your lesson learned for future purchases.  If you insist on buying from a third party, look at sites like Swappa, which give you a level of protection with your purchase that the device is exactly as the seller claims and also verifies the IMEI isn't blacklisted.  Peace of mind when buying might cost you a little more but at least you will get what you are purchasing. 

• dc5fan

You, sir, get an A+ for trying! Momma told me a LONG time ago it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round. Guess what? Momma was right!

• magenta3363836

Why. This the customer service reps in-store and over the phone do not want the post-paid account customer to understand the big idea about being on post paid service they are very ungrateful service reps and rude to me.all in all they don't want to process accurate account services until the process of payment cycle is stamped in the system so their doing it all intentionally.