What is "DeviceGuard"?

eydugstr

I own a LG K20, and recently it popped up with a "DeviceGuard" that has been checking a flashlight app continuosly.  This is the first time I've seen this come up before and would like to know how to shut it off, if possible.  Thanks

All replies

• snn555

Re: What is "DeviceGuard"?

none of my recent LG phones have had any sort of device guard Protection Service on them so I'm not certain that that is a stock feature. I don't know if maybe either the flashlight app is at fault or if maybe there is an app on your phone that was installed without you knowing that is a problem.

You might search through your app list and make sure you show all including system and look for anything suspicious.

• syaoran

It either sounds like a component of AppLock (which I consider junk), bloatware, or malware installed by another rogue app.  If you have issues trying to remove it, you will want to find the Package Disabler for LG devices and use that to help you remove it with ADB.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
          • magenta7707484

I just got the same phone 2 days ago and am having the same exact issue. It has a popup that says that Device Guard is checking a flashlight app. I can't find "Device Guard" nor can I figure out what flashlight app it us referring to. Im going into the store where I bought this tomorrow and if I get a resolution I will post it for you.

• syaoran

Try factory resetting the device and skipping the sign in during the setup.  Google tries to reinstall previous apps during the setup process that you previously had installed before.  This might be reinstalling the rogue app causing this issue for you.  When you donsign in after the setup is complete, quickly stop and turn off all automatic installation and updates for the Play Store. 

• snn555

Google does not back up any apps or app data from side-loaded apps.

Typically the rogue app is one that was side-loaded or some sort of instance of a hijack.

• syaoran

True, but there are times malicious apps do make it into the Play Store.  A facotry reset would eliminate the side-loaded app as well. 

Starting over and installing things one by one might identify the culprit.  Side-loadad apps should only ever bbe installed from trusted sources.