Regarding unpaid Balance

magenta7337154

Yesterday I purchased phone from Offer-up which stated as Unlocked.I Inserted sim also and checked whether it works it worked , also I paid him 450$.I also check In Imei check it showed clean IMEI.

What should I do I feel helpless and betray .Should I got to T mobile and complaint about the owner ? can they remove outstanding balance , its not fault if previous owner doesn't pay balance.

It works with Lyca mobile .

Please suggest.

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Re: Regarding unpaid Balance

T-Mobile will only work with the account holder that purchased the phone initially.

If you purchased a T-Mobile device from a third party, any complaints have to go either through the seller, or the dispute resolution of the site you purchased it through.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • magenta7337154

So What should I do now? Use it with Lyca Mobile?

I wont get affected right? also my credit history wont get affected right?

• smplyunprdctble

I'm not sure what your situation is -- I can't tell if you got something you didn't expect or what.  Your original post doesn't make a lot of sense.

What I get is you bought a phone from a third party.

It sounds like it's working, unlocked, and everything.

You have a concern about if the seller may not have paid it off or potentially reports it stolen, it sounds.  If this is the case, your only recourse is through the seller or the site you purchased through's dispute resolution.  T-Mobile would not work with you.  If this happens, the phone's purchase agreement wasn't in your name, so you're not responsible financially for it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • magenta7337154

I just have above doubts-

1.As per discussion with T mobile,this phone has an outstanding balance of $520, which technically means that this phone is locked with Tmobile, still how am I able to use it with my Lycamobile simcard?

2. What should I do if the person from whom I bought the phone complaints that the phone is stolen, what should I do next?

• smplyunprdctble

1) Lyca is a MVNO, which means they use other carrier towers.  It's possible that they lease from T-Mobile.  My mother has Walmart Family Mobile, who uses T-Mobile's towers where she lives, so she can use a locked T-Mobile phone.

2) I stated this before.  You would have to take that up with the seller or the site's dispute resolution group.  T-Mobile will not assist you in this phone since you were not the original purchaser.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                        • syaoran

If the original owner reports it stolen, it will be blacklisted and not work on any North American carrier.  Being unpaid, it can depend on the status of that.  If the phone is newly lost or stolen, then it might take a a week or so to end up on the blacklist.  If it remains unpaid and the amount owing sounds like it was newly purchased.  It might be fine for now until the account goes to collections or account is closed.  We can only guess at the situation, but you should return the device for a refund, file a complaint with the seller and site you purchased it through, and hope you get your money back.  If you must buy a device through one of these sites, I would suggest using Swappa. 

• tmo_mike_c

This really bums me out hearing this happened. I do agree with what was mentioned above. The best bet is contacting the seller of the phone to get this issue resolved.