Band 71 Coverage - Chicago Suburbs

rockstar2005

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if I could get FURTHER confirmation on this article, which states that Chicago NOW (since 12/19/2018) has the Band 71/600 MHz radio band activated. Has anyone been able to confirm Band 71?? If so, how did you do it? Or which app did you use??! I have the T-Mo OnePlus 6T, which has Band 71 included, but I have not yet confirmed its activation as of yet, though I won't be going to downtown Chicago until this Saturday.

Also, does the Band 71 tower located in Chicago reach out to the northwest suburbs, like Schaumburg or Arlington Heights??

Please let me know!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

All replies

• syaoran

Re: Band 71 Coverage - Chicago Suburbs

Cell Mapper from the Play Store should give you the info about what tower, band, and other information.  There are other apps as well that do this, but Cell Mapper is the one I personally use.  Your device will more than likely not sit on band 71 unless it is doing something that requires a faster connection. 

• snn555

Find your address.

Tap and the icons will tell you where you should find signal, inside outside street car building.

Personal Coverage Check

• rockstar2005

Yeah that site I've seen before, but it doesn't include Band 71, only 2, 4/66, and 12.

Thanks! I appreciate it. From both of you!!

• snn555

It includes 71.  Just might not show where you are if it is not available.

Screenshot_20190111-060855.png

• rockstar2005

Oh ok. So you've seen it list 600 MHz then. Awesome!!!

Yeah I've seen that chart too. I don't think Chicago gets Band 5.

• snn555

The only place I have ever heard of where T-Mobile has band 5 support is Myrtle Beach South Carolina.

• snn555

Yes I have seen 600 megahertz on that map where it is available.

• rockstar2005

Awesome! Thanks!!

But see, that's what's annoying me. This article states Chicago got Band 71 activated like 3 weeks ago, yet your map doesn't even list Band 71/600 MHz for my area. Even when I put in downtown Chicago, still no listing. So WTF is going on? Is it ACTUALLY activated or not?? LOL

• snn555

Again I can only speak from my own experience but while some phase maps have my area activated by the end of this past November they still have not activated. there is one tower on the map near me and it is very weak. T-Mobile tells me I don't have band 71 in my area so there is conflicting info.

one thing is for certain and that is coverage maps are not only secretive but vague in descriptive details. The only way to really know if something is activated is to have an app that can read the signal and tell you which band you are on.

• rockstar2005

Yeah I agree. That's why I have TWO of 'em! LOL

I think it's such BS that there's conflicting information. I'll be in downtown tomorrow night for a concert. I'm gonna have both apps on (and off) randomly and we'll see what's up.

Thanks so much!!!!!!!

• tmo_amanda

Hey, rockstar2005!

I wanted to swing by to chime in on what I was able to find internally on the site updates -- Let's just start by saying that I'm not super familiar with the Chicago area, however, a quick Google search gave me the zip code of 60611 for the downtown area. From looking at that specific area, I only see the 700 MHz (Band 12) frequency in the area but no 600 MHz (Band 71) just yet.  We have one additional tower being added near W. Washington St & S. Wabash Ave. If there's another area you'd like me to check out, please pass along a zip code or address.

• rockstar2005

Hi Amanda!

Thank you for chiming in!

Yeah Band 71/600 MHz doesn't show up on that site, but this article states it's already been activated like a month ago. So it's also possible that the main site hasn't been updated yet. But it helps to know they are adding another tower at that intersection. Obviously that's something you would know and we wouldn't lol, so thanks for mentioning it! That intersection is in the downtown area, so yes it will be very helpful. I was just out there this past Saturday night, and go there for various reasons like 1-3 times a month.

Could you check for 60005? That's my zip code.

Thank You!

• tmo_amanda

Thanks! I checked out that article and wish it would've helped me out a bit more but no luck. As far as the 60005 area, I don't see band 71 active or any new towers going up just yet. I wish I had better info on when you can expect it in the Chicago area but unfortunately I have nothin'.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                      • rockstar2005

Hi Amanda,

YW!

That's fine. I appreciate you looking into it though. I was in downtown Chicago Saturday night but I kept forgetting to check b/c we went to a concert so I was focusing on that. lol

I'll just keep checking. Besides that site, I've been checking here too. This one though as of today doesn't show Chicago as having Band 71 just yet either. Not even sure if this is official or not. Is it?? lol

One other question is..........has there been ANY word of T-Mobile selling any upcoming Sony Xperia phones by any chance like they did in the past? Like the XZ4?!! Just wondering.

Thank You!!

• tmo_amanda

Hahaha! The concert probably would've been my priority as well. I'll keep you updated if I hear anything about Band 71 popping up in the Chicago area but I'll generally find more info by manually searching every so often.

As far as a new Xperia device, I haven't heard a peep about that but then again we usually won't know until a PR announcement is made and it that case info will be updated here: Latest News, Technology, Media, Blog & More | T-Mobile Newsroom.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                              • rockstar2005

Ok thanks Amanda!! I'll keep checking my resources as well on both topics!

It would be great to see T-Mobile selling Sony Xperia phones again. I think the upcoming Xperia XZ4 (which is to be officially announced at MWC on 2/25) will be their best phone yet. It will be their first flagship to offer a TRIPLE lens camera and OIS, as well as the first phone ever to have a 21:9 body screen ratio, much like a remote control. Given that all movies are filmed with a native screen ratio of 21:9 as well, that means that movies (and certain vids) on the XZ4 will be displayed WITHOUT the black bars on the side. The phone's performance, speed, and 4K + HDR (both were "first evers" by Sony a few phones back) display also make it worth having. I'd personally rather they just went QHD (aka 2.5K) HDR OLED on the screen like the XZ3's was to increase battery life, but whatever. lol

The RETURN of the side fingerprint sensor (embedded in the side Power button.....yes, another Sony first from years back lol) will also be welcome. That makes one-handed unlocking much easier, and I prefer it even to the on-display FS on the 6T, which really if you think about it requires TWO hands.

I love my current T-Mo OnePlus 6T A LOT, but if I switch up again, it will be to the XZ4. Just not sure if it will have Band 71 or not on it as the last one didn't, but hopefully it does. The U.S. XZ3 (unlocked) was the first non-T-Mobile Xperia phone to have T-Mobile VoLTE ACTUALLY work on it, so I'm hoping they continue that trend on the next one as well.

Take care!

• tmo_amanda

Woah. Mind blown! I honestly had no idea that the Xperia rocked such awesome features. Fingers crossed!

• rockstar2005

lol

Yeah they are great phones, though now and then they can have imperfections. The XZ3 (newest one, came out last Fall) I actually bought but then returned. The camera was like 2 steps back from the XZ2 Premium that came out right before it (XZ2 P had dual lens, then for some stupid reason on the XZ3 they went back to single......but XZ4 will have triple), but the XZ3 was 18:9 and had a nicer more modern design. No T-Mo VoLTE though on the XZ2 P, but the XZ3 did have it. So both came with compromises, which is why I passed on them.

This video by pro reviewer Matthew Moniz pits the XZ2 Premium (best Sony Xperia phone camera yet) against the Note 9. My issue with Samsung is that as great as their cameras are, they tend to oversaturate colors (aka make them TOO warm in tone), which makes them less accurate. If I take a picture of something yellow and it comes out light greenish (or vice versa), that's an issue for me, especially at these price points (pay attention to the 2nd one, flowers). The video explains it better. Also, the XZ4 will be the first Xperia flagship to have OIS, which the experts say helps improve low light photos. With OIS, the XZ2 P I'm sure would've done even better in that review than it already did.

The video part is a bit unfair b/c it's taken in 4K (Sony's video stabilization caps out at 1080p, though that may change with the XZ4), but I don't know one person who actually films in 4K, so yeah. lol Overall I'd say the XZ2 P is better vs. the Note 9, but the XZ4 will improve quality even more I'm sure.

• rockstar2005

Well my cousin just sent me this article. It appears per a link in the article with an updated list that Band 71 has in fact NOT been deployed in the Chicago area as of yet. All the Illinois cities listed are no where near mine or Chicago (I'm only about 30 min NW of Chicago, suburbs). So I dunno what was with that article from last month, but it was wrong. Hopefully it will get put out before the Spring at least. lol

• snn555

Such as this.

I know you said suburbs but I know nothing of Chicago so I just dropped it somewhere in the middle.

Screenshot_20190110-192748.png

• rockstar2005

As of this article's posting yesterday, still no Band 71 in Chicago. Seems like they're making progress though at least.

• landonloco

Well sometimes they don't have band 71 on all towers so sometimes the area might show in the list but not all towers hast it

• rockstar2005

Well, as long as it's one the list. lol

• rockstar2005

Hello my friend,

So the Sony Xperia 1 (formerly the XZ4) FINALLY got an official U.S. release date TODAY: July 12th!

It's very likely I will buy this phone, and if I do, I was wondering if you'd still be interested in buying my OnePlus 6T? I got it locked from T-Mobile, but a month ago I paid it off and got it UNLOCKED, so now it can be used on ANY carrier.

Let me know if you're still interested and I'll keep you in mind come July if I decide to keep the Xperia 1.

Hope all is well with you, and with everyone else in here as well!

Thanks!!

• landonloco

Well I am still interested but don't have any money right now I might get some as a graduation gift, is either that or i might get a new phone. Btw aren't you interested in the one plus 7 it a beast of a phone you might wanna check it out, you an get a good price for it if t mobile does some kind of trade in deal. I don't know for the looks of it you might look for another carrier in the future.

• rockstar2005

Hey landon,

Ok that's cool. Well the earliest I'd be looking to sell it is probably mid to late July, so hopefully between then and now you get enough to buy. If not, no big deal.

Yeah the OnePlus 7 Pro IS one hell of a phone, in almost every way! But from what I've seen, although the camera has been somewhat improved from the 6T, it still isn't up to par with what I'm looking for. So for now it's either gonna be the Xperia 1 or MAYBE the Pixel 4 XL this fall as it looks like Google is finally going to up the ante on the specs vs. the last couple Pixel phones. I have to wait and see how good the Xperia 1's camera will be. But all signs point towards something amazing.

In the past, Sony's luxury camera dept (Alpha) wasn't open to giving up much of its tech to the mobile dept b/c they were afraid ppl wouldn't buy their $3000 cameras. lol But then a new CEO came in and got wise and said "hey, that's stupid" and combined them two, as well as the display and audio depts into ONE division. Although not EVERYTHING was passed over, several features were shared with mobile from camera, and so now for the first time ever I believe we will FINALLY be getting the Xperia phone camera I've always known Sony was quite capable to make (since their sensors are used in virtually EVERY smartphone you can think of, including Apple, Samsung, LG, OnePlus, etc etc). So if it's as great as I expect it to be, I will FULLY be looking to sell my 6T. If not, then I would wait 'til Oct/Nov when the Pixel 4 XL is released to see how that is. But for now I'm keeping my hopes up on the Xperia 1.

Yeah I'm fully aware of OnePlus' trade-in deal. lol It's damn good! I got my 6T by trading in my old LG V30 for $300. Now I guess I can get $400 on my 6T! But again, as much as I LOVE the 7 Pro, the camera is what's mainly stopping me from buying it. I got the GCam port (Pixel's camera software) mod installed on my phone, courtesy of the developers on XDA, but I don't wanna go through that again on the 7 Pro.

Why would I need to get another carrier? lol

• landonloco

Oh I see I guess I get why you wouldn't buy the one plus 7  I mean camera is one of the biggest cons of one plus although apparently they have improved. Honestly I don't care much about the camera since I barely take picture but when I do I want a decent quality and one plus for me satisfies my needs like  I am more a performance and battery life guy. Other reason that I want the one plus is that it has all of t mobile network capabilities as of now and that's important to me since I live in a very congested area and there's is some areas that the band 71 support should came in handy. I am hopping that the merger goes trough so that t mobile can kill the congestion in my area.

• landonloco

I am curious are you a professional photographer or just do that as an hobby and have another job since you are asking for really advanced camera features or are just some geek in photography just like me but with tech in general.

• rockstar2005

Yeah man. Sounds to me like the OnePlus 6T is for you then! The camera IS pretty good, just not THE best. But everything else is fantastic on this phone! Battery life is STUNNING, the display is even nicer looking that my previous LG V30's, and that was a higher-resolution screen too! The Oxygen OS, the facial recognition (super insane fast), super fast speed, etc.

Yeah that is correct. Since at least the 6T, OnePlus and T-Mobile have made sure all these phones (locked or not) have ALL the radio bands, as well as VoLTE & Wi-Fi Calling.

Yes me too on the merger. I hate that it's been dragging for so long now. Hopefully it gets approved by the FCC SOOOOOOOOOOON!

No I'm not a pro or hobbyist camera guy, I'm just kinda picky. LOL Yeah I love tech too.

If you end up getting my 6T, I can OF COURSE get you a link to the GCam camera mod that I've been using for several months now for you to install on the phone (VERY easy). Then instead of the stock one, you can just install & use that one like me. It's free and is definitely an improvement over the stock camera. The Night Mode on it is also better as well.

We will keep in touch for sure.

• rockstar2005

Just got an e-mail from a senior manager in Spectrum Management for T-Mobile with an update on this. Not too happy.............

The Excel spreadsheet on the e-mail last time said this would be deployed for Cook County IL by Q4 2018. NOW it's saying Q4 2019 (see attached screenshot)? How can you be THAT much off?!

Anyway, looks like it'll be a while. lol Hopefully they somehow get it done sooner than later.

Screen Shot 02-15-19 at 04.04 PM.PNG