Phone # for a tablet?

g_cohen

I'm trying to see my data usage for my tablet on the website and it won't let me until I give it a phone number.  I don't know how to find that for my tablet, does it have one?  Help.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Phone # for a tablet?

Since no one else has said anything, I'll venture a WAG. When I had a tablet plan there was a phone number associated with the tablet, even though it could not be called (not a real number). Now, since this was an add-on to my regular phone plan, there was no problem seeing the usage. I just went to My-T-Mobile and selected the strange phone number. So, I suspect that your tablet plan is stand-alone and you need to set up your My-T-Mobile account. Right?

You should be able to go into the wireless settings on the tablet somewhere (e.g. About, SIM, etc) and find the phone number. However, I'm not sure how you use this information to set up your My-T-Mobile account since this normally involves receiving a text message and I don't think a tablet can do that.

Anyway, that's what comes to mind. Maybe I'm way out in left field but that's just how I interpreted your problem.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • g_cohen

Thank you for your response.  You're correct, it's a standalone grandfathered "free data for life" tablet.  I had actually tried what you suggest and found something that looked like a phone # in the settings, I think it was called an MID? or some such, but no luck when trying to associate it with my account.  Could be I'm simply out of luck and should just take my chances on running out of data.  It's so slow (EDGE only here now) that I'd really have to work at it. 

• drnewcomb2

I had a promotional tablet plan, which I converted to FDFL when the promotion ended. I canceled the FDFL when we lost access to that iPad. In my case the tablet plan(s) was associated with my voice plan and I could check the status on My-T-Mobile. Since your plan is stand-alone, not sure what to suggest.

• barcodeable

FDFL Plans are not capable of sending or receiving text messages.

There is a number associated with the plan, but it is only there for identification purposes only...

but, to clarify one thing (that im 100% sure of from personal experience) Mobile internet Lines and tablet lines are capable of sending and receiving text natively from the device using the number associated with the plan. It solely depends on whether you have a device that is equipped to send sms messages and whether or not you have a postpaid, prepaid, or FDFL data line. I have 5 postpaid mobile internet plans.... and all of my 3 tablets (android) and 2 of my hotspots ALL can send and receive text messages (domestically and internationally).

• g_cohen

Thanks all.  The sad part is I can't even chat with support because I keep getting stuck at the screen wanting my phone #.   

As it stands it seems I'm an orphan who can't check my usage online.  I assume the app would have the same problem, and really I don't have space on my tablet to install it anyway.

I know I could call them but not sure it's worth the hassle.

• barcodeable

To look up your data usage on your FDFL (iPad) :

go to your settings

click on cellular data

then click on MANAGE T-Mobile Account

here are screen shots of me checking my usage...

787B7737-1C5B-4524-A218-3A1E09389F81.jpeg

67259E60-7C39-4EB5-B485-A06F11519DEC.jpeg

my phone number is visible.... make sure your cellur service is turned on... maybe that may help....

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    • g_cohen

Kudos, that's helpful info!  My tablet is Android but I was able to find Data Usage in the settings.  At least I'm able to see some measurement, though it warns "your carrier's data usage accounting may differ" and I'd have to figure out how if the usage cycle correlates, etc.

Also, I do see a phone # looking thing, same as the MDN I'd seen under About Tablet/Status.  The website doesn't seem to accept me trying to associate it to my account though.  So, unless I'm doing something really dumb it just doesn't seem possible anymore.  I did used to use the website and it didn't ask for that info.

In the meantime, I did juggle things around and managed to install the T-Mobile app on the tablet, and I can see my usage there, so I'm okay with that for now.

Thanks much!

• tmo_amanda

Hey, g_cohen!

I'm glad some helpful info has been passed along, so far! Have you tried registering for a new MyT-Mobile account with the phone number that's listed under "MDN" instead of trying to link it? If not, give that a shot and let me know if you're still unable to see your usage.

• tmo_amanda

Happy Wednesday!

Just stopping by to see if you still need help. Keep us posted if you do.