Can't send SMS only in Canada

kelvandy

I am unable to send SMS messages while in Canada. I can receive SMS texts, and I can send/receive MMS messages. The phone shows I'm on the TELUS network. Sending SMS has worked in the past. Any ideas on how to correct this?

All replies

• syaoran

Re: Can't send SMS only in Canada

I am in Canada as well and roaming on the Telus Network also.  I can send and receive texts just fine.  However, give this a try.

Go to Settings, Connections, Mobile Network, Network Operators.  Click, Search Now, and when it comes up with a list, select Bell.  Bell and Telus are the same company and share the same network and you can freely roam on to either of them.  T-Mobile's APN settings seem to be more reliable when connected to Bell versus Telus.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • kelvandy

I did try this, but it still didn't work for me. I tried both Bell WCDMA and LTE and was still unable to send SMS. I believe there were other options (in Whistler at the time) of which I'll try again when I return in a few weeks. Thank you for the suggestion.

• syaoran

Whistler explains a lot!  With the wildfires out in BC this past summer, cell service is still not the greatest.  I am out in Toronto in Ontario right now., whichbis about 2,800 miles from there.  I have tried both Telus and Bell and haven't had any issues sending and receiving SMS or MMS messages on my Note 9.  I have a cousin out in Nanaimo though that as had a lot of issues with his cell service on the mainland since the fires and also the storms that hit the coast recently.  The infrastructure out there has taken a pounding in the last half of the year.

Being that far out.  What abailable carriers appear when manually searching?  There might be another roaming possibility out there that I am not aware of.  Bell/Virgin and Telus/Koodo, which are all the same company and network in Canada, but the frequencies and such and possible settings might be slightly different for such a rural area of the network.

Are you in the village or up on the mountains?  From what I can find, the coberage in the village should be decent.  Up on the mountains, there are plenty of dead zones and the coverage is faily poor. 

• syaoran

Coverage is listed on both T-Mobile's site and through Telus.  Bell's site was uncooperative. 

Screenshot_20181231-133651_Brave.jpg

What bands it is using I am having trouble finding.  Rural coverage in Canada though tends to be as bad as being in a third svrld country, if not worse.  Networks are kitbashes of very different tech and frequencies regardless of whether it is Bell or AT&T (Rogers).

What device are you using?  That might help when I finally track down the bands deployed locally for that area.

• syaoran

Verifying with Telus, LTE is band 12/13 and 3G is band 26.  Slim pickings but if your device supports band 12, you should be fine.

• magenta7305892

I am also unable to send texts in Toronto. LTE data, calling, and receiving texts all work. I have a Pixel 1 on Android 9. Same situation on Telus and Bell, and I tried connecting to Rogers but it failed.

• kelvandy

Update: I believe the SMS sending problem I was having in Whistler was a bit of a red herring. After returning to Seattle I found that I was still unable to send SMS. T-Mobile support had me turn off the phone, they then initiated a network reset to occur on startup, after which SMS texting worked again. I'll find out if this corrects SMS sending from Whistler in a couple of weeks, but I suspect it will work.