Google Fi Issues

hbcobra

Hi, 

We had a family plan on T-Mobile.  About a year ago, we left for Sprint.  We are now attempting to port our numbers over to Google Fi.  Google Fi, apparently, runs primarily on the T-Mobile network.  They say that in order for a number to be eligible to be ported into Google Fi, it must also be eligible to be ported in to T-Mobile.  They advise customers to check compatibility with the T-Mobile number transfer tool, available at www.t-mobile.com/switch. 

We tried porting our current Sprint numbers to Google Fi and ran into an error.  When we checked with the T-Mobile number transfer tool, we get a message saying "You can't transfer this number because it's already a T-Mobile phone number."  Here is a screenshot: 

switch1.jpg

We tried calling the number provided by T-Mobile.  After about 1.5 hours on the phone, including being switched between multiple operators, T-Mobile says that their billing records show that the numbers are no longer with T-Mobile.  However, the representatives said that they were unable to pull up a web browser and see the same screen that we were seeing.  In any event, the last representative advised us to call Sprint.  We called Sprint, and Sprint advised us to speak with Google Fi.  We called Google Fi, and Google Fi advised us to speak with T-Mobile.  Thus, we are stuck in a never-ending cycle where no one wishes to explore the issue further and try to find a resolution! 

Any ideas to fix this? 

Thanks! 

All replies

• syaoran

Re: Google Fi Issues

This sounds like an issue that you are going to have to directly address with T-Mobile's porting department. 

• drnewcomb2

Have you chatted with a human at Google Fi? I found them very helpful.

• tmo_mike_c

I think giving Google Fi support a shot is a good idea. Have you been able to get in touch with someone there to see if there's more help they can give?

• hbcobra

I spent a considerable amount of time on the phone with Google Fi.  They tried multiple things to troubleshoot it but eventually concluded that this is a T-Mobile issue that needs to be resolved by T-Mobile.

• drnewcomb2

I don't particularly like suggesting this but you might port your lines to either Google Voice or NumberBarn.com for just as long as it takes to clear them out of T-Mobile's system, then port them to Project Fi.

• syaoran

Isn't there a $20 fee to port a number in to Google Voice? 

• drnewcomb2

There's a $20 charge for some porting. Not sure if it applies to all porting or not. Let's see.... This is what Google's help page says:

"You'll be charged a $20 fee to move your number to Google Voice from most mobile service providers, such as Verizon or AT&T. Moving a number to Google Voice after canceling Project Fi is free."

So, yes. Any number you can port to Google Voice, except a Fi number, has a $20 charge.

NumberBarn charges $2/line/month. I've never used them. So I don't know if they charge a fee to port in or not.

I'm not sure what else I can suggest. It looks like you're caught in a Catch-22. If you're currently with Sprint, your number's shouldn't show up on T-Mobile's list. Certainly not after a year. I don't know what good filing a number portability complaint with the FCC would do. Make you feel better, maybe?

Have you taken a look at Fi's support forum? People port from T-Mobile to Fi all the time. It does not always go smoothly but that seems to have more to do with some strange internal accounting issue inside T-Mobile than with the actual port process.

• syaoran

Most carriers reapond fast to FCC complaints.  AT&T did when my girldriend filed one over her having issues porting her number to T-Mobile, which wasn't possible because T-Mobile does not offer E911 service for the area the number is local to.  Hopefully the Sprint merger will fix that, because Sprint does have an E911 center where my girlfriend's number is local to.  To get that information though, took weeks of run-arounds and frustration.

Fi uses T-Mobile's service, which is why I suggested contactung the T-Mobile porting department.  Every failed port should produce an error with an explanation.  I am not sure if Fi uses T-Mobile's internal tools to port in to their service or if they have their own. T-Mobile should be able to let you know though but so should Fi.

The exception I ran into with my girlfriend's number was apparently rare.  Finding out why is an important step to trying to resolve the issue.  The FCC site also list a few rare exceptions where numbers are in a tight supply and as a reault, can not be ported.

• hbcobra

Hi syaoran,

All we got was a message that says that the number cannot be ported. When we spoke with Google Fi on the phone, they advised that they are not getting a "go signal" from the carrier 

Hi Lauren,

We tried the number that it told us to call in the screenshot above. I'm not sure what department that was.