Band 71 with Band 12

shima1970

Hello, I was in Big Rapids, MI today and picked up Band 71, which is pretty new to West Michigan. However, my phone was bouncing between B71 and B12. Going forward is there going to be a precedent set for one over the other and vice versa?  B12 signal was around -107 dbm..and B71 was weaker. Screenshot_20181225-144724_SignalCheck Pro.jpg

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Band 71 with Band 12

There's a complex negotiation that goes on between the phone and network, with each attempting to obtain the best connection for the customer, consistent with maintaining overall network service. What is "preferred" one day may not be the next.

• shima1970

Ok that makes sense. I did notice when on Band 71, I had download data, but the upload would die, whereas Band 12 worked both ways. I guess that goes with the signal strength and distance from the tower location.

Also, in Service Mode Band 71 was (BW: 5 Mhz).  As this new Band is turned up will it be a block at a time to avoid TV broadcast overlap in some locations? 

One other item is the TMO coverage map, do you know when it will be updated for newer locations turned up on Band 71? 

• drnewcomb2

Band 71 will be deployed as T-Mobile's engineers decide to deploy it, limited by what is licensed and what can be deployed and avoid interference with OTA TV broadcasts. This is another one of those questions with no set answer. In rural areas they could deploy 5x5, 10x10 or whatever is licensed. They may leave some band-71 undeployed for easier future 5G deployment, or not. It all depends on what is needed.

• syaoran

Band 71 will also be used as a wireless internet deployment for T-Mobile in areas were internet is still laughable for anything other than a short text e-mail.  Although the rollout will be slow, fhe bandwidth and performance will basically be the start of wired services going wireless.  T-Mobile could also use this band to deliver T-Mobile TV to customers as well. 

• syaoran

Carrier aggregation is something that changes based on many factors.  Faster bands are used when the device needs it, based on prioritisation, network congestion, and so on.  The algorythmns used for carrier aggregation vary from carrier to carrier and aren't openly published.  Think of it like QoS on a router, but on a massive scale.

Band 71 though, at least in Blacksburg, VA, yields a superb download performance increase over band 12.  VT students on T-Mobile will be incredibly happy T-Mobile customers.

• shima1970

Agreed about the CA. Around here in West Michigan I’ve had speeds up to 295 mbps down and 50 Mbps up. This is with 3CA bands 2, 4, & 12 or 66 in place of 4 in some areas. Friends on Verizon think it’s some sort of trick lol. I wonder how much different/ better things will be, when the full potential of adding Band 71 into the mix happens. For now it’s being patient until Phase 6 of broadcasters spectrum is freed and it can be used by T-MOBILE depending on location. I was just happy to experience B71 yesterday while up north visiting friends.  

• syaoran

It's a great solution for the long term.  Definitely better than AT&T's, which is to just change the LTE icon on their phones to 5GE.    Android Authority had a nice little write up on their "5G" rollout. 

• tmo_mike_c

Currently, I don't have any info of one band taking precedence over the other. That'll be a business decision that'll be made by our higher ups based on they feel will be the most beneficial.