internet without wifi

tfoclear

how do I access the internet when I am not on a wifi network?

All replies

• snn555

Re: internet without wifi

With most plans you have data unless you are on a call and text only plan. with data you can access the internet at any time without Wi-Fi. What sort of phone and plan do you have?

• tfoclear

Samsung S8

Will have to look up my plan

• jameshdavis

You may be in a country that ’has coverage’ but ‘does not provide data’.  I’ve been in 9 countries in West Africa for a few weeks and seen plenty of signal bars, but am denied access to internet.  As far as my really extensive research goes there is no decent ‘coverage’ map that shows the different types of service.  Would like this to be made clear, instead of the marketing message of ‘service available in xx countries’.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • tmo_lauren

Hey there!

Just checking in to see if you'd been able to check your plan, the country you're in and their internet options, and if you'd gotten everything resolved!

-Lauren

• tfoclear

Nothing has been resolved.

Support has been useless

• jameshdavis

Hi Lauren - thanks for initiating a response.  No luck on resolution.  The TMob website coverage map does not let me check outside US.  The destination inquiry tool says ‘no coverage’.  However, the text msgs I received on landing in Gabon and Benin read ‘welcome to X!  Your one plus feature gives you data at 2x the speeds of our one plan...’ etc. and looks just like the message that I receive in countries with coverage eg France.

How should I interpret this?

Thank you

• tmo_amanda

Hey, jameshdavis! I can see where receiving those texts can be confusing when you're unable to connect to service in a specific country. I checked out the area of Gabon and found that if you connect to Airtel (where available), data is not provided on that service partner network. However, if you connect to Moov, you may be able to pick up enough signal to connect to data. To search coverage and device compatibility internationally, you can go here. Here's what I found when looking at coverage in Gabon (the shaded areas represent 3G coverage):

Please let me know if that answers your questions!

tfoclear, have you been able to connect to data while not connected to WiFi yet?

• jameshdavis

Hi Amanda -  thanks for the reply.  Yup, checked that map.  Was in Libreville the whole time.  A solid purple part of the map.  Saw Airtel signal, did not pick up Moov.  As far as I can find there is no mention of particular networks that may/may not work for data.  Perhaps that could be included in the coverage map.  I am sure that you can understand that this customer is confused by the T Mob coverage claims. 

Ps at least I missed the coup there by a few days!

Thank you

• tmo_amanda

That'd definitely be helpful info to know. Unfortunately, I don't think it's something we would attach to our coverage maps only because that information changes somewhat frequently. I'm wondering why you didn't see Moov. Perhaps it was due to the different frequencies but that's the only thing I can think of.

• dtmplsrock

For internet without wi-fi, make sure you have cellular/mobile data turned on (I have iPhone... not sure of terminology for Samsung phone, but concept should be the same).

• jameshdavis

Thank you for the suggestion.  Yup, I have that turned on already.  Also tried a couple of tricks that a helpful tech rep suggested:

1. Toggle ‘enable LTE’ on/off to see if phone could find a 3G connection that it had missed.

2.  Turn phone off for at least 3 minutes.  Gives it a change to ‘reset the connection tower (?)’ or something like that.

3.  Also, if it is your first international trip you may need to dial #766# to enable international calling.

Thank you