Voice mail set up welcomes me to Straight talk when I have Tmobile

boowho2u

When responding to a voicemail in my notification area that wouldn't go away from 1 805 637-7243 I got a voice saying:

Your account is not recognized, please call customer service. Customer service said I had to set up voicemail and told me how.

I tried to set up voice mail by calling 611. I got a message saying thanks for calling Straight Talk, please listen carefully as our menu options have changed, bla bla. I hung up confused because I am signed up with T-mobile not straight talk. I then thought oh no, I have to call support AGAIN... nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Last tech support guy said to get voice mails by typing 123 then dial. The pin would be the last 4 digits of your phone number, but that got me the same answer (Your account is not recognized, please call customer service)

Brief story: I originally wanted my new phone on Tracfone, because it was my first provide and I am brand new to cell phones and didn't know about any other providers. They sent me a Tmobile sim card because that is what the phone required. Lg V20 H918. After many hours on their tech support they finally said TMobile did not cover my area and I should buy another phone. I was upset because they assured me the phone would work and they even sent me a compatible sim card. I wasn't about to send my phone back after spending weeks researching what phone I needed and calling them to be sure before I bought it, the waiting for the phone to arrive, then another few days for the sim.

That all said I decided to call Tmobile and ask them myself if they covered my area and they said yes but I would need a sim. I already had one that tracfone sent me so he got that one working. Is a tmobile sim compatible with straight talk. All this stuff is so confusing to me.Why am I being welcomed by straight talk when I am signed up to tmobile and how do I get it to create my voicemail inbox so I can get this voice mail unstuck from my notification area.

Also :::

Under call settings on my Lg V20 H918 I clicked on advanced and got a tiny window saying 'Call Settings' 'Reading settings', then it came up 'Call settings error' 'Network Or Sim Card error', what does that mean? Is this related to why voice mail is welcoming me to straigh talk? ugh.....

Hellppppppppppp...

Thank you in advance for any light you might shed on this issue.

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Certainly a lot going on here!

First things first, you're absolutely going to need a T-Mobile from T-Mobile SIM. MNVOs which are companies that piggy back off our network share some backend pieces and it sounds like something is getting a little stuck. First order of business should be to get a SIM from corporate T-Mobile!

• boowho2u

Thank you for responding, however...

According to Tmobile tech support the tracfone t-mobile compatible sim is not a problem. It took one hour and being transferred to 7 different technical experts, the last person refreshed my voice mail from their end and I was finally able to set up my voice mail and get rid of that annoying stuck notification. I'm not sure why the first 6 tech support people couldn't have just refreshed the voicemail.. but oh well.

I am hoping I don't have any more issues and have to call tech support any time soon.

• tmo_amanda

boowho2u, I'm sorry that it took talking to 7 different people to get your voicemail straightened out but I'm happy to hear that you're finally able to set-up your own voicemail. As far as the email that you received from Straight Talk, I'm wondering if it has something to do with purchasing a Tracfone with T-Mobile SIM. I'd like to think that this was just a fluke, but I'd be sure no payments are made to Straight Talk/Tracfone that you don't authorize. 

• boowho2u

I didn’t buy the new t-mobile gsm phone I now have on t-mobile, from TracFone, I just bought a sim card and it didn’t require me to buy a plan.

Anyway I called support at TMobile and they said call Straight-talk. I called straight talk and explained the email I got and she said she could not remove the email from this new number with out security questions I would not have for this new number.

So I said, just for the heck of it, what are the security questions, turns out the security password was the same as I have for my TracFone account. So she said she could disassociate my email address with this new unrecognized phone number. And said she did just that. But who knows. I thought TracFone and straight-talk were separated but it seems not nearly enough.

I remember when I first signed up with Tracfone 4 months ago, they got my account mixed up with some woman named Hunt, and I got emails to my email address related to this Ms, hunt and that took forever to fix.

This sounding familiar.. ack!

It’s all pretty strange to me.  If I had known what a royal pain it was to own a cell phone I probably would never have bought one in the first place. Any how, hoping I have better luck with T-mobile, however I still dread having to call technical support.

Thank you for responding, thought I posted too late or something so I had already called T-mobile today.

Susan

• boowho2u

Since this post might be related to the original voice mail issue, I guess I should post it here.

Customer Service got my voice mail working for me, however I got a strange email today from straighttalk @ straighttalkmail .com

Here is what is read and my comments and question below.

------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Straight Talk!

After your CURRENT phone stops working:

1. Turn your NEW phone OFF and back ON.
                2. Make a call.
                3. If the call does not connect, wait a few minutes, reboot your phone, and try again.

Transaction Summary

Phone Number 910 xxx-xxxx

Last Day of Service 01/20/2019

When you purchase, activate, or use a Straight Talk phone and the TracFone Wireless services, you agree to comply with the Terms & Conditions , which are subject to change from time to time without notice. Straight Talk® and TracFone® are registered trademarks of TracFone Wireless, Inc. © 2017 TracFone Wireless, Inc. 9700 NW 112th Avenue, Medley, FL 33178. All rights reserved. Unsubscribe | Privacy Policy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never spoken to Straight Talk or ever had an account with Straight and I don't know why my email address would be associated with this transaction and the phone 910 xxx-xxxx associated with the transaction, a phone number I have never seen before. I certainly would not want my email address connected to someone I don't know and their account.

As I said in my original post, the sim I have in my new phone that is on Tmobile came from Tracfone, I order it on their website when I tracfone said I would need it to put tracfone on this new phone. However Tracfone failed to activate the phone, so I ended up calling tmobile and they activated it on tmobile.

Is this some tech error, should I be concerned about it? I seems like someone signed up with Straightalk and used my email address, that's weird to me since I don't have my email address just floating around everywhere and I have only had a cell phone now for about 3 months out of my entire life, so I really don't understand how I could have gotten this transaction summary directed to my email address and associated with someone else..

I x'ed out the phone number for this transaction in case it might cause problems posting it, should you need it just ask.