Galaxy S5 setting off store door alarms

ss1977

My Galaxy S5 phone started setting off store door alarms as I walk in and out. Any ideas what's causing it? I already shut off the NFC as some say was the issue but still happening. Tried shutting it off even.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Galaxy S5 setting off store door alarms

I used to have an electronic key card that would set off the alarms at various stores. I used to have a lot of fun with that. I remember a cashier running after me saying that I had to go back in the store because their alarm went off. I said, "No I don't." She said, "Our alarm..." To which I replied, "Your alarm is broken. Are you making an arrest?" She didn't say anything else. The fun really began when I learned that if I carried the card one way it wouldn't set the alarm off but if I turned the other way it would. That way I could walk into the store (no alarm) turn around and walk right out and set off the alarm.

Here's the bottom line. Those RF induction inventory surveillance systems false alarm on all sorts of stuff. It just takes a bent piece of wire that resonates around 8.2 MHz.   I'd just demonstrate it by holding my phone at arms length in the alarm field and be annoying until they shut up about it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • snn555

Having worked in a retail environment for almost 30 years we used to have fun with the sensor tags we would put on high dollar merchandise and hide them on people's clothing in their bags and such so I suppose it's even possible to hide one inside someone's phone case just for fun.

• drnewcomb2

I had so much fun with that electronic key card that I stuck a couple of sensor tags into the back of my checkbook.  My point of view is this. What is the chance that I could open the back door of my office by holding a bottle of ibuprofen up to the key pad? Zero, zilch, nada. The reason is that this electronic system is designed to reject false positives. There was all sorts of electronic hand shaking and key exchanges going on before the door would open. Retail merchandise surveillance systems are garbage. They false alarm on anything (like electronic key cards). They false alarm if the clerk forgets to or improperly deactivates the tag. They are a royal PITA. I'm willing to bet my going to jail that everything I'm walking out of the store with is paid for. Are they willing to bet the results of a suit for false imprisonment that it's not?

BTW, one of my buds from high-school is a EE who helped develop a merchandise control system that would allow a store to take inventory by walking along the aisles waving a wand. Every item had a unique ID. If they were short they knew the s/n of the missing item. If something was misshelved, it would be found. If stock wasn't being properly rotated, it was reported.  It didn't false alarm.

• tmo_chris

This is very interesting to say the least! Is it all stores??