Name ID Not Working Since Last Update

dreamspinner3

I have Samsung S9, which I bought from T-Mobile and is now unlocked, and I pay extra for the Name ID service each month.  Ever since the last app update, my Name ID app is no longer working properly. 

It no longer registers incoming calls on the activity screen, it no longer displays the caller ID when I get a call, and I can't block any numbers with it.  Basically it has stopped working for the most part.  When I try to add a number to my block list, I get this message: Alert!  We were unable to add xxx-xxx-xxxx to your block list.  Please try again later."

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app,and restarting my phone over and over to try to get it to work with no luck.  I am paying extra for this and it isn't working at all!  Is anyone else having issues?  Have you been able to get it to work again?  Please help!

All replies

• dreamspinner3
          • tmo_mike_c

Re: Name ID Not Working Since Last Update

Aw shucks. Sorry you're having this issue too, but have you reached out to our TEx folks to have a ticket filed? I know that'll be the next step to get this issue resolved.

• dreamspinner3

I did open a ticket.  I did finally get the software working again, at least for now, by wiping the partition cache on the phone, followed by disabling Name ID on the phone, then re-enabling it and letting it update to the latest version again.  It is now finally working, but I don't know if it will continue to do or will stop working again.

When I called for support, I explained that I had found a thread on the T-Mobile community support website, but the first person I spoke with brushed off my information and told me that, according to their software database, no one else had experienced this issue.  Since I had already done the rudimentary troubleshooting they suggested to me, they transferred me the next level of tech support and they suggested I try wiping the partition cache.  Name ID still didn't work after that, so I took it a step further and disabled it, which reverted it to the original factory installed software, then ren-enabled it, allowed it to update, then it worked.

I found this entire situation to be frustrating.  T-Mobile's first level of tech support/customer service obviously goes to a call center outside the USA and the operator had a difficult time understanding me and I had a difficult time understanding them.  I used to work in a call center myself and the last thing you want to do is make your customers more upset when they contact a company's first line of customer service.  T-Mobile should move their call centers back to the USA or hire people who can clearly speak English for their American customers.

• tmo_mike_c

I'm glad this was resolved but, I feel bad you didn't get our best when you called in. This is good news is we do use the platform we have here to get feedback like this for our higher-ups to look into for improving the experience we give in all channels including over the phone. I wish this whole issue would have gone much better for you, but I appreciate you choosing to come here and tell us what's happened.

• fstdrvr2

I have had this issue since the last update too. The last call that it logged was November 29th. After reading through this feed I tried disabling the app and re-enabling it. That didn't work. I then uninstalled it, reinstalled it and updated it. It worked. It also bought back a list of all the calls that it wasn't logging. I can now block the Canadian Robocaller that has called twice today!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • kdilo911

I too have been having issues with the paid Name ID app on my S8 since the beginning. I have been exchanging emails with tech support through the app. They are a 3rd party company that supplies the app/tech to T mobile. After the last update and T Mobile press release about a month ago I was told the new update would resolve the issues. It did not and my last two exchanges with the app tech support was that they were aware that there were problems and were working to resolve them. No change or update for three weeks. Very frustrating since I am paying for features that don't work. Any one from T Mobile here that can provide some information?

• magenta7137219

I also have no service of name id on my Samsung phones, Note 9 and Note 8 All i get is the run around, no clear answers, three days ago saying there is a ticket no followup . Just left verizon after 23 years for Tmobile and their services namely name id.

• kdilo911

Disappointing that no one from T mobile has responded to this...

• magmom7

Very frustrated with this. I have a Galaxy S9 and actually just realized it wasn't working. If I go into the app, I can see who called (sometimes), but nothing comes up when the call is actually coming in. It says stupid stuff like "charity call" when my church calls. Canceling. I loved this feature before. Was well worth the money. No longer!

• bossfan61

Samsung Galaxy S8, S9

When I first came aboard with T-Mobile in October 2017, the Name ID app was working in real time as the call was coming in but it has been months since it has worked that way. Now, I can only go back into the app after the call and see the results. I must say the information database is impressive and very accurate, but I really wish it would get back to working in real time!