TMobile throttles (180kbytes per sec) Netflix and Amazon video downloads to smartphone

magenta2361407

After many fruitless hours with both TMobile customer service and tech support with no resolution to this 180 kbyte per second tmobile throttling ONLY during Netflix or Amazon movie downloading to phone,

I discovered that 180kByte per second video streaming speed throttling is also enforced during movie downloading to phone.  It can be eliminated ONLY by enabling hd video option in account profile!  PAID one plus add on REQUIRED to enable hd video option.

Thus, despite 55+ plan clearly stating it includes unlimited HIGH SPEED 4G LTE data on smartphone, non-hd 180kBps video streaming throttling speed is ALSO applied to movie downloading via Netflix or Amazon prime apps on my note 4!

I really hope my 2 open tickets with tech support provide a fix for this soon.

Hope this helps clarify this long standing issue.

All replies

• dragon1562

Just out of curiosity what speeds do you get when running a normal speed test using Okklas speed test app? Does this affect other downloads or just ones that come through video websites? If it is just the video the video service websites I don't see the issue here as downloading the videos to watch in one go is no different than streaming it. Except that when you download you are able to watch at a higher resolution.

• magenta2361407

Correction: found video mp4 etc samples:

Download Sample Videos / Dummy Videos For Demo Use

Which are NOT throttled during downloading, so throttle appears to be video download provider specific?

• magenta2361407

UPDATE:  Sadly, TMobile tech support has not responded to the most recent 2 trouble tickets for over a week despite many promises to do so within 72 hours, and their reponses to the prior 3 tickets have simply NOT addressed the issue despite precise issue description.  Also, upon inquiring about the status if those tickets, the reponse every time is that the tickets are closed and marked as issue resolved!

SIMPLY NOT TRUE and very frustrating.

The ONLY way that I have found to eliminate the severe throttling of video content downloading is the $15 One Plus addon required to enable the HD streaming option in the account profile which is disabled without that addon.

TMobile needs to either disable throttling on the non + plan for video file downloading, or clearly DISCLOSE that video downloading IS throttled without tge extra $15 addon.

So sad ...

• tidbits

Has nothing to do with T-Mobile and everything to do with Netflix, and Amazon.  They use the exact same point of entry/exit as their streaming.  Due to this T-Mobile sees it at streaming.  The only way to fix it is to get the addon, or Netflix, and Amazon adjust their points of entry/exit.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • magenta2361407

Thanks so much tidbits for your valuable reply.  Excellent news!

You are the first to bring up (of the many many tmobile reps and tech support folks) what possibly might actually be happening - thanks!

Please provide a link to this information source so that I can finally provide TMobile and Netflix tech support with a lead on how to finally address this issue.

Since TMobile IS representing non-throttled download speeds, and clearly Netflix, Amazon Prime, and at least some other video providers ARE being throttled, this issue IS still TMobile's.  They need to resolve it regardless of whether the fix is on their side or on Netflix/Amazon Prime side.

Note that Netflix very clearly stated to me that they were NOT the source of the issue.

Hope this helps.

• endeavour1701

magenta2361407 wrote:

Thanks so much tidbits for your valuable reply. Excellent news!

You are the first to bring up (of the many many tmobile reps and tech support folks) what possibly might actually be happening - thanks!

Please provide a link to this information source so that I can finally provide TMobile and Netflix tech support with a lead on how to finally address this issue.

Since TMobile IS representing non-throttled download speeds, and clearly Netflix, Amazon Prime, and at least some other video providers ARE being throttled, this issue IS still TMobile's. They need to resolve it regardless of whether the fix is on their side or on Netflix/Amazon Prime side.

Note that Netflix very clearly stated to me that they were NOT the source of the issue.

Hope this helps.

In a way I agree that Netflix is not really the source of the issue, it is how T-Mobile is seeing your connection the issue.

Anyway, the team of expert has only the name of expert, but they aren't. And unfortunately, not really willing to find answers for you, because they just have no interest into the subject. This is the same everywhere. Technical question has no answer with them.

You came in the right place in order to get answers.

In the meantime, if you are using a NAS or advanced router at home, look into building a personal VPN.

Using a VPN will allow you to bypass T-Mobile's limitation, since all of your data and connection are going through a VPN tunnel, and the real connection is made somewhere else, in a place uncontrolled by T-Mobile.

Give it a shot in the meantime... Sucks, but can be usefull...

When I travel, for example, I am using the VPN of my NAS to watch live TV with Xfinity. I've been in a different State, and couldn't watch some of my channels due to my location. VPN, and it works.

• tidbits

magenta2361407 wrote:

Thanks so much tidbits for your valuable reply. Excellent news!

Since TMobile IS representing non-throttled download speeds, and clearly Netflix, Amazon Prime, and at least some other video providers ARE being throttled, this issue IS still TMobile's. They need to resolve it regardless of whether the fix is on their side or on Netflix/Amazon Prime side.

Hope this helps.

When T-Mobile first started the program a few years back there were issues and still are issues when participating streaming companies update their sites and pathways.  T-Mobile works with the participating companies setting up which streaming pathways are so T-Mobile can "throttle" and/or 0 out the usage.  If you are being throttled for downloading it has to the pathway used is the pathway made to stream.

I am going to use MLB as an example.  People were up in arms about how MLB games were 0 out, but still were getting data consumption.  What turned out was the commercials which used a different streaming pathway was being counted and wasn't apart of MLB streaming.

I think if you search for it on this forum you'll find those threads.

• magenta2361407

Nobody needs to spend time researching WHY this issue exists. Since it has existed for YEARS despite TMobile being repeatedly alerted, and ALWAYS affirming each time reported that Netflix download speed should NOT be throttled, they clearly have NEVER chosen to pursue a resolution.

TMobile is the only one who should spend time fixing this.  Excuses are NOT fixes.

VPNs have many more than two major drawbacks:

They DISABLE VPN FIREWALLS like NetGuard Android and Netlimiter win10 which DRASTICALLY reduce the major privacy issues of hidden stealing of personal data by MANY apps.

VPN data is also NOT ENCRYPTED once your sensitive private leaves the VPN server if your connection is not https!!!!!!!

Thus using a VPN actually REDUCES security of your private data and you are falsely confident of security and thus more likely to expose even more your private data!

• tidbits

magenta2361407 wrote:

Nobody needs to spend time researching WHY this issue exists. Since it has existed for YEARS despite TMobile being repeatedly alerted, and ALWAYS affirming each time reported that Netflix download speed should NOT be throttled, they clearly have NEVER chosen to pursue a resolution.

TMobile is the only one who should spend time fixing this. Excuses are NOT fixes.

VPNs have many more than two major drawbacks:

They DISABLE VPN FIREWALLS like NetGuard Android and Netlimiter win10 which DRASTICALLY reduce the major privacy issues of hidden stealing of personal data by MANY apps.

VPN data is also NOT ENCRYPTED once your sensitive private leaves the VPN server if your connection is not https!!!!!!!

Thus using a VPN actually REDUCES security of your private data and you are falsely confident of security and thus more likely to expose even more your private data!

They can't control the other companies do.  If Netflix wants to do it the way they do it it's either T-Mobile drops them or leave it the way it is...  The pathways are set by Netflix not T-Mobile. So what do you prefer?  Those are only T-Mobile's options.

• endeavour1701

tidbits wrote:

They can't control the other companies do. If Netflix wants to do it the way they do it it's either T-Mobile drops them or leave it the way it is... The pathways are set by Netflix not T-Mobile. So what do you prefer? Those are only T-Mobile's options.

They can use a different way to identify what you are doing, like connecting to Netflix.

Anyway, excuses is not the right path,

Sending you to Netflix to complain is not the right path either.

As a company offering a service (I mean T-Mobile), and not having the function working, especially with a service like Netflix who is (I guess) number 1 in streaming, the should try to find a way to fix this with Netflix.

• tidbits

endeavour1701 wrote:

tidbits wrote:

They can't control the other companies do. If Netflix wants to do it the way they do it it's either T-Mobile drops them or leave it the way it is... The pathways are set by Netflix not T-Mobile. So what do you prefer? Those are only T-Mobile's options.

They can use a different way to identify what you are doing, like connecting to Netflix.

Anyway, excuses is not the right path,

Sending you to Netflix to complain is not the right path either.

As a company offering a service (I mean T-Mobile), and not having the function working, especially with a service like Netflix who is (I guess) number 1 in streaming, the should try to find a way to fix this with Netflix.

They would need Netflix to change things on their end to do anything when it comes to identification.  This also means T-Mobile and all partners will have to redo theirs as well to change to the "new way" of doing things.  It isn't that easy my friend.

Netflix front end support has no idea anything going on in the back end.  Neither does T-Mobile front end support. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful