Slow speeds with Global Plus ONE

j.a.r.v.i.s

Creating a new thread to see if we can get this answered.

Several users are experiencing slow speeds when on the Global Plus ONE plan - with this plan, there should be no throttling of international speeds.

Consumer Global Plus ONE

Reference comments from magenta4529351 and brandonjhb

All replies

• magenta4529351

Re: Slow speeds with Global Plus ONE

Thank you Jarvis for creating the new thread.

For TMO - it has also been frustrating in dealing with your “Experts” as I needed to educate all of them on what the Global Plus One package is. I was told by numerous “experts” that I should expect 2G speeds under my plan.

• j.a.r.v.i.s

Some specific details:

• Before migrating to Global Plus ONE, speeds were not throttled.  After applying the add-on, speeds ~100kbps.
          • International Day pass works fine for same Phone Location
          • Seen on iPhone XS in Hong Kong (210+ country, so should be no throttling)
          • internationalsam

This issue has been wildly frustrating. Glad this was recently indexed by Google and I hope other users who have Global Plus notice it too, since T-Mobile doesn’t seem to know what’s going on.

It appears anyone who who has added either the grandfathered Global Plus or the new Global Plus 15GB will be subjected to 128kbps throttled data at all times on the device. Adding a day pay does seem to alleviate the issue temporarily. Why it’s even possible to add a day pass feature on a Global Plus line is unclear.

Even stranger, hot spot data is not throttled. To any other customers experiencing this, T-Mobile will tell you they don’t see any throttling on your account, that there must be congestion or that it’s ultimately  to the carrier you’re roaming on. This is incorrect. It’s quite easy to tell when you’re being throttled to 128kbps with full LTE and it’s disappointing this misinformation is going around. Even a lot of folks in T-Force seem to not be aware of it. If they tell you this, explain that adding a day pass instantly fixes the problem so it’s not congestion.

Hopefully this gets sorted out soon. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • daskbrolock

I am having this same issue with the consumer global plus one plan. I am in Rome currently and also brought my Project Fi phone as a back up. While I am not an expert, I believe they use the same roaming agreements. Below is a screenshot of the side by side speed tests. I contacted support yesterday and have not heard back, but am hoping the below will help out.

F15519BB-64B6-49DE-BAE6-98973A545446.jpeg

• j.a.r.v.i.s

My understanding is that international roaming does vpn back to the US, which may slow things down.  But if a day pass eliminates the problem and internationalsam said, then surely it is network throttling.

• internationalsam

Yes, exactly. At a technical level, TM tunnels all the international traffic through their own VPN back in the states. This is how the throttling is facilitated, the international carriers are not tasked with the speed of each individual TM customers.

If you cannot add a day pass online, use your Twitter account (or open a new one for this purpose) and DM T-Force, they are the only ones who even slightly know what’s going on. Specifically ask for Joel B or DJ Constable and say you would like a day pass for this reason. Note that every time you exhaust 512mb or 24 hours (whichever is first), youll have to request the old be manually removed and a new one added. They’ll waive these charges for you,  but it’s the only way right now.

This is not an an issue with the roaming partners, and has nothing to do with congestion. It’s just related to TM and something being configured improperly.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • magenta6859495

Having the same trouble as well. I am in Italy and had added the Consumer Global plus one data add on and it was working perfectly for about a week. On November 16, 2018 is when I started getting 3G speeds which seemed like it was happening to everyone as well on the same day. The odd thing is that when I turn on my hotspot, my laptop is getting 90+mbps but my cellphone is only getting 3G speeds. This is also happening to my co workers who have T-mobile and the global data add on. I submitted a ticket the next day and received a reply today. This is what the tech rep has said:

"I have verified that the customer is properly provisioned for roaming data services and do not show them to have reached any data caps. In the usage logs I show roaming data uage that occurs after the ticket was filed. Please verify resolution with the customer. If the issues persist for specific roaming areaas advise the customer that we cannot guarantee service for a specific address in a roaming partners network. If the issues only occur with specific data services (such as internet access or email) but other data services are functional the issue is going to be with the device. Thank you."

My only problem with the reply is that the hotspot works but not my cell service data and that it is happening to 4 other people out here with me.

• j.a.r.v.i.s

Here is the official plan info for Global Plus 15GB

• brandonjhb

I came up with a bit of a temporary workaround. if you use the "pcweb.tmobile.com" APN you'll get full speeds. however that chows into your hotspot limit

• chitown12

I just did a speed test and I am at least getting 3-4mb/s right now.  It’s an improvement from the 0.1mb/s I’ve been getting for the last few week. I’m currently in Thailand. 

Perhaps others who who have had issues should also try a speed test again. 

• magenta6875365

F2842C5E-E16F-4618-B408-846B6CF5446F.jpeg

Same plan (Global Plus Unlimited)

Two different countries

Two different txts

• magenta6879754

I can confirm.  Recently returned from a week long trip in Japan, and the speeds were abysmal. My account wont let me add a day pass.  Something is definite messed up here.  Tried to do a speed test, it routed me through Dallas from Tokyo as the closest server.  I was getting 0.01mbs! How can I fix this issue?

• internationalsam

Regarding routing through Dallas, this isn't necessarily abnormal. As I had mentioned above, at technical level, TM tunnels all the international traffic through their own VPN back in the states. This is how the throttling is facilitated, the international carriers are not tasked with the speed of each individual TM customers.

In any case, I believe the actual issue of improperly throttling on-device data through the on-device APN has been fixed as of today. I have a followup scheduled with T-Force later today and will report back.

Anyone who purchased a day pass after day pass to alleviate the improper throttling should request these be waived off their bill (mine will).

• magenta6879754

Thanks for the info, I am talking to T-Force over Twitter now.  Will this problem fix itself, or does T-Mobile have to send something to our phones to get the daya throttling issues resolved?   Thanks!

• internationalsam

Are you still abroad? Nothing needs to be sent to the phone; the reps that are not aware of this specific system issue will try to send various reset signals etc but those will not do anything. The problem is/was deeply rooted in how the new plan itself was provisioned; whatever system that is responsible for throttling international traffic erroneously grouped this plan in as well.

I am not sure how they disseminate known issues amongst the folks in T-Force but if your rep does not immediately acknowledge it as a known, system issue and attempts various (fruitless) troubleshooting measures, you may have luck referencing ticket 21612073.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                            • j.a.r.v.i.s

I had a hunch that this was something provisioning related.  Introducing a new plan that wasn't fully baked yet - should have been executed better.  Anyway, glad that things seem to be resolved now.  I'll hold off on marking this question answered until we get a little more feedback.  Post back if you are still having issues.

• pfwarrior

internationalsam Were they able to resolve it for you after filing the ticket? I have messaged them this screenshot and link to this thread and hopefully they can fix it for me too. If you have step by step guide or info that will be very helpful as I can get T-Force involved.

• internationalsam

pfwarrior wrote:

internationalsam Were they able to resolve it for you after filing the ticket? I have messaged them this screenshot and link to this thread and hopefully they can fix it for me too. If you have step by step guide or info that will be very helpful as I can get T-Force involved.

pfwarrior This was a very specific issue that was strictly related to the way Global Plus plans were provisioned when they were first introduced in November 2018. It was widespread and impacted everyone who switched to this plan when it was announced. If you're currently experiencing data speed issues, it isn't related to this precise problem of the impropoper, mistaken throttling that this particular thread happens to be discussing. I don't doubt that you may be having speed issues abroad, but it isn't related to what this thread is addressing 11 months ago, as this very distinct problem was resolved on November 23 2018 for everyone.

• pfwarrior

internationalsam Thank you for getting back to me. So basically I had exhausted all my hotspot data usage 5GB, after that speeds were literally crippling at 0.10 Mbps regardless of data being used on phone or as a hotspot. Multiple tickets were filed and each time, nothing wrong in the provisioning. i went to a neighboring country in Europe and sent T-Mobile message from twitter, the T-Force member then reached out to engineering team over the phone and that team refreshed all of the data counters on their end. This is the solution to it. Once they refreshed the data counters, it fixed the problems. Bamm speeds went from 0.10 mbps to 60+ Mbps.

So I hope this helps anyone else who faces this problem.

• wanderbug

Did anyone ever figure out what the problem is or the fix? I added global plus 15GB and the speeds are still super slow, like not even 2G speeds

I am in India right now, it seems like when T mobile makes change to the account the partner does not seem to know the speeds should not be throttled

• jeffbharris

I've been to UK, Hong Kong, Japan, Germany, Italy, and.  stopped through Qatar in December, and all speeds have been fine on the 15gb global.

On another note, I have a question

Since I had read the problems when the global plus unlimited was initiated, I didn't sign up. Then it off nowhere they brought it down to 15gb. Now, honestly, domestically I've never used 15gb in a month. But I'm a 20 year customer and feel T-Mo owes me a solid or 2. So I called and asked if they could grandfather the unlimited because of the bad issues initially out of the gate. 2 people tried to help, but said they can't even find the unlimited in their system as an option to add

So I'm thinking to try a couple more times, maybe ask to speak with tech support level 2. There must be a code someone can manually add in.

Does anyone know that code for the global plus one unlimited?

• internationalsam

You will likely see pigs take flight before you get T-Mobile to retroactively add you to a discontinued plan. It's not as easy as a code.. they simply don't allow it to happen. You can keep on trying, but I doubt anyone even has the authority or capability to add you to the unlimited plan, outside of their executive level support.

• internationalsam

The problem was the way the newly introduced plan was provisioned on their end. At a technical level, T-Mobile does not tell other carriers what speed to or to not throttle you at. It simply routes all data traffic through their own network via VPN, and then throttles accordingly. The original problem has since been fixed, so if you still have an issue it's likely unrelated.

• wanderbug

I am pretty confident that T-mobile is messing this up with the partner networks here in India, why am i confident?

1. T-mobiles partner with Vodafone in Mumbai and Pune where i will spend most of my time, my dad is on same network and it works fine for him and it should work same way for me as well since i am on global plus, so technically i have same priority as local customer of the partner network

2. My friend is on Google-Fi and uses an iPhone, which practically means he is on T-Mobile US, he is on same Vodafone Network as i am on he gets 3g to  LTE/4g speeds while we stand next to each other and both have iPhone X

3. May be its just my account that is messed up, but i had network issues in London area as well.

4. I am positive that Google-Fi will be far better option if you plan to roam internationally, and once you are back in the US you are practically T-Mobile if you use iPhone.

5. ATT day pass was far more expensive $10 a day, but everything was unlimited and it worked like a charm in almost all the countries i visited.

It keeps getting worse for me, entire evening yesterday i was not even able to get on any network leave alone data network, i was kicked off the GSM voice network as well. If you call tech support they mostly ask you to reset network setting, refresh line, restart phone etc which never helped because the problem is with T-mobile partnering with local networks, not with you device.

magentatechie

• wanderbug

That is valuable information internationalsam. May be this is the root of the problem, when i looked up my IP Address it does not seem like i am using VPN from T-mobile, since i am not very familiar with VPN do you happen to know if i need to do something on my device? I am using unlocked ATT iPhone X, can this be a problem ?

Let me know if i can tag someone with better understanding of the issues, not T-mobile tech team please, all they do is ask me to perform some tasks, and then open a ticket, the engineering team says everything is okay and they close the ticket. More than money its the pain of not having data working, it think it was a mistake to switch

jeffbharris not sure if the Google Fi is LTE or 3G while roaming, but my friend was getting anywhere between 5.5 to 20 mbps which is excellent compared to my 0.01, additionally the plan turns out to be cheaper if you are roaming they charge you $10 per mb only upto 6 gb or so for single line and $20 for talk/text to approx $90 with unlimited everything, i will be paying $45 for line and then another $50 for global plus 15GB which does not work 

• jeffbharris

Well, wanderbug, the speed on Fi ultimately makes a difference when planning ahead. I've had an unlimited everywhere AT&T international SIM since 2008, @$70 a month (data only). Which has been great, considering I spend ore than half the month outsidethe US. I have been using it in a mifi so my iPhone and iDevices can share the love.

But, this SIM will never be more than HSPA+, due to the APN not being updated any more. So when 5g comes around in the next 12-24 months around the world, this SIM will even be further behind. As will GoogleFi if they don't up their internati al roaming to LTE, then 5g

The T-Mo global plan will keep up with the carriers latest speeds, so that's a consideration for staying with the most current speeds