Unlocked note 9 OTA updates

freemrstone415

If i buy an unlocked note 9 from samsung will I receive  firmware and OS updates from T-mobile or does phone have to be a T-mobile note9?

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Unlocked note 9 OTA updates

If you've ported over from another carrier, we recommend that you update to the latest software version prior to making the switch. Afterwards, the updates from T-Mobile should come through like they do on our branded devices.

• tarheel6279

Hey Mike,

Any good reason why many tmobile customers like myself(nearly 10 yrs now, 4 me) that use the note 9 unlocked handset(SM-N960U1) haven't received the may security patch/update?! we usually have ours 1-2 weeks after you've taken care of your (SM-N960U) tmobile-bound folks!!? PLEASE.ADVISE. AS THIS IS RIDICULOUS, AT BEST!!!

STEVEMADDEN

P.S. I'm certain tmobile does realize that we are free-agents, so to speak, and have no real ties to the carrier that we depend on for high-quality customer service in return for our monthly premiums paid?!

• tarheel6279

Mike,

We're still waiting to hear something back on our earlier query!?

SteveMadden

• tmo_mike_c

Sorry for the delayed response. With unlocked devices, we can't guarantee it'll receive the updates we push out. You're welcome to use the Samsung Smart Switch computer software to see if that'll update it.

• tarheel6279

Mike,

Come on, seriously, that's your answer!? You know there's been no OTA push for the unlocked Note 9 as of yet(any newbie can ck. that on sammobiles website under firmware)!!

Let's get serious now...everyone that has an unlocked Note 9 and has tmobile service(sim card inserted) has received the monthly security patch update OTA since the device's inception(August '18) AND the OTA we received from you, our carrier,  has historically followed the OTA push for your carrier-branded model(SM-N960U) BY ONLY 7 -14 DAYS, AGAIN, THAT'S BEEN YOUR/TMOBILE'S SCHEDULE SINCE AUGUST 2018! If I know this, why don't you...instead of the b/s answers you and your team members quickly throw out at LOYAL tmobile customers like myself hoping we "bite" or go away, why dont you/wont you put the work in and contact Samsung and ask them what's up!? Ask them something to the effect "hey we pushed the OTA for the SM-N960U on 5/24(whatev) but there's been NO OTA PUSH(on our servers) for the unlocked model SM-N960U1 YET, WHATS THE STORY?"

Looking back again at tmobile"s history you've NEVER been later than the end of month for which the update was intended for(IAND IT'S MID-JUNE)!!

WHY WONT YOU FIND OUT WHAT'S UP FOR US, HAVE YOU CHECKED W/VERIZON....THEY HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH UNLOCKED OTA'S RELEASED THRU SAMSUNG(THEY MIGHT TELL YOU, ANOTHER CARRIER MORE THAN THE GENERAL.PUBLIC)!! AGAIN, SOMETHING IS WRONG HERE, AS THE TMOBILE OTA RELEASE FOR THE MONTHLY SECURITY PATCH HAS NEVER RAN THIS LATE AND WE CERTAINLY DESERVE AN HONEST ANSWER, WOULDN'T YOU SAY MIKE!?

MANY THANKS,

STEVEMADDEN

• tarheel6279

Mike,

I appreciate you took the time to respond to our.last query, but I have added much detail and possibly some information you might(or someone @tmobile) to begin researching or flipping the issue to Samsung to investigate the oversight(if applicable)? Maybe you could find out if they're going to piggy-back may to June, if the delay is a result of the additional software enhancements promised to note 9 users(camera, dark mode, etc., that the Intl.version folks(that's SM-N960F) already received in their may update a month ago?

We just want to know, and what to expect is coming to us...like I said previously this IS NOT how the history has played out with our monthly security patch updates! I really can't believe Samsung would treat their largest market, The USA, in this manner!! It's unacceptable, at best!

Any good Intel you can share with us unlocked users(SM-N960U1)would be ever so greatly appreciated!! Our hands feel tied on this issue, as I mentioned earlier Samsung(sammobile's help desk)has not replied to or even acknowledged receipt of our emails!!

Many thanks,

SteveMadden

• androidz32015

Put a VERIZON sim in June is here now, I'm going VERIZON anyway t mobile lags that's why they are 3rd and Verizon # 1 and t mobile merger with sprint?? The blind  leading  the  blind network... LMAO

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                • tarheel6279

I feel you bro I'm looking back into at&t myself...did you happen to see Mike's response to my queries!?

• magenta9127996

Hey I'm formally the androidz profile I'm with VERIZON but my wife still t mobile I ported my number to Verizon and had to change my screen name here, ya anyway ya Mike keeps deldeleting my replies just goes to show how t mobile is and btw I been touch and go with 5g since I went to VERIZON but shows as LTE+ off and on here in Los angels area in long beach ca where I live, ya at&t is better than t mobile port over!!! YA NOTICED T MOBILE FINALLY GOT JUNE UPDATE BUT.....SKIPPED NIGHT MODE ON NOTE 9???? got mine with night mode with June update on VERIZON hope at&t gets that for ya, good luck!!

• androidz32015

Gee Mike the stupid rep said unlocked SM-N960U1 does get monthly ota updates and from tech support, just goes to show your trained to lie or just guess like them young peons that work at a t mobile store, they are useless just there for a easy low wage paycheck and live at home, I respect you but I been or acutely was with t mobile since 2011 too damn long, that's why it's time to take my family plan of 5 lines to VERIZON and Verizon offered my a better price plan better than t mobile....its just pathetic how I had a activated t mobile sim card in my SM-N960U1 unlocked device and popped in my sister's veVERIZON sim card and bingo June security update with camera dark mode, just goes to show how lousy t mobile is, good luck working with a blind leading the blind network with your merger with sprint, sprint is by far worst, t mobile really will go down the toilet as a royal flush!!! As in a looser way..

• tarheel6279

I get a different answer every single update month, and what I find really humorous is they are so sure they have the correct answer that you've been waiting for! It's odd that t-mob hasn't pushed May's yet, because they're usually one of carriers to kick-out for the U1 models(in recent pie history).

I'm thinking at&t again, their coverage is great here too!

• gldrescher

tmo_mike_c wrote:

Sorry for the delayed response. With unlocked devices, we can't guarantee it'll receive the updates we push out. You're welcome to use the Samsung Smart Switch computer software to see if that'll update it.

@tmo_mike_c, It is not a matter of anyone's N960U1 not receiving an update that you have pushed out. Rather, T-Mobile has failed to push out the last two months' updates for the N960U1 (namely, CSE3 and CSF1) even though every other US carrier has done so and even though T-Mobile has done so for the N960U. So there is nothing for us to receive, either OTA or via SmartSwitch. The N960U1 on T-Mobile is inexplicably still on CSD1, April security patch, released on April 25, and it is now July 6. (See Notify Update for the official list of T-Mobile's updates for the N960U1.)

This situation is unprecedented and it may indicate that T-Mobile has simply forgotten to continue pushing updates for the N960U1. We need to inquire with someone at T-Mobile who has access to the relevant information. If you're not able to contact anyone with that information, can you tell us whom we should be asking instead? Thank you.

• tarheel6279

Mike,

Here we are, it's June 28th and us unfortunate folks carrying a SM-N960U1 handset loaded with a tmob nano-sim card are waiting for an explanation (at the very least) and a security patch that catches us up to the rest of the planet?! Are we being unreasonable, greedy to want our may or (I'm dreaming) June's update?! Two(2) months have passed and we keep getting misinformation from support personel at tmob AND samsung! Surely you must communicate with one another...get it figured out, and do it NOW(trust me, you are running out of time to retain us as paying consumers)!

Let us hear something back on this...what, when, etc!!

Cordially,

Steve Madden

• gramps28

tmo_mike_c

I tagged Mike for you. Once a question is answered the mods may not look at other responses.

• tarheel6279

Hey Friend,

Thanks for the reply...I didn't realize It didn't fo to Mike.@ tmobile

until you brought it up! Thanks again for the assist! It's  funny you said

the moderator's dont pick it up if already answered, because so much is

missed by these rookies/newbies fielding the forum queries!!lol They all

seem to be disinterested and never offer to dig in and find the real(and

right) answers that people want and deserve!! I'm a tech-savvy soul myself

and if I knew some of the real names of these folks I swap developer ideas

with I'd be calling them directly whether they liked it or not!? I just

hate when the customer care professionals like Mike dont have the

right/real answers at their fingertips they dont just tell folks that?

Nobody I know has ALL the answers but when you're honest with your

disappointed/upset customer voicing their grievances with your company, "I

dont have your answer mr./mrs.

• tarheel6279

Hey Mike,

Do you still work @ tmobile!? It's been over 2 days now and we still haven't heard back from you(or anyone) on our query as to why it's mid-June and several of us Note 9(Unlocked) users are still on April''s security patch/update!? No explanation/apology from Samsung nor will they answer emails sent via sammobile!! We count on our carrier(that's tmobile, at the present) to provide us with high-quality customer service from "your team of experts', or at least that's what I read!? Please find out something for us....I think we've been patient enough, wouldn't you say?!

SteveMadden

(tmobile cust. 9+yrs.)

• tarheel6279

Mike,

If you are still employed w/tmob would you kindly reply to our queries about why-t-f WE HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING FROM OUR CARRIER SUPPORT TEAM OR SAMSUNG FOR TWO MONTHS NOW, YET WE SEE AND HEAR ABOUT EVERYONE ELSE WITH "NON-FLAGSHIP" HANDSETS" RECEIVING THEIR JUNE UPDATE....WTF IS GOING ON AND WHY WON'T SOMEONE LIKE YOURSELF IN YOUR ROLE W/TMOBILE STEP-UP AND RISE TO THIS OCCASION TO BECOME A HERO IN THE EYES OF YOUR LOYAL, PAY THEIR BILL EARLY OR ON TIME CUSTOMERS AND GET US SOME GOOD, REAL ANSWERS??!! I'VE BEEN ALMOST 10 YRS. W/TMOB AND YOU ALWAYS CRANK THESE OUT B4 YOUR COMPETITORS, SO THIS IS WHY THE "RED FLAGS" ARE GOING UP EVERYWHERE!! PLEASE PLAY DETECTIVE ON THIS, AS WE NEED TO KNOW WHAT'S UP ON THIS SH@$, AS WE ARE ALL "FREE-AGENTS", AND CAN & WILL GO ELSEWHERE!!

DON'T IGNORE US, YOU KNOW BETTER!!

CORDIALLY,

STEVEMADDEN

P.S.  Most of us with the unlocked note 9 if not all of us are still stuck on April security patch the last 4 letters being CSD1... Available through Sam mobile there is a may security patch update (CSE3) released OTA by almost every Carrier except T-Mobile!! I know how to Flash firmware I do it all the time I'm a geek somewhat but a lot of the other folks out there are counting on that OTA from the Carrier they give their money to!!

Please help us Mike! 

• tarheel6279

HEY ALL SM-N960U1 USERS:

EVERYONE WITH THE UNLOCKED NOTE 9 YOUR MAY SECURITY PATCH/UPDATE IS FINALLY HERE!

TMOBILE HASNT PUT IT OUT YET BUT IT'S MY UNDERSTANDING ALL OF THE OTHER MAJOR CARRIERS HAVE DONE SO, VIA OTA!!

ME, I DOWNLOADED IT VIA SAMFIRM THEN ODIN TO BRING MY HANDSET CURRENT! WHAT'S UP TMOBILE...DEAD-LAST AGAIN?! SERIOUSLY...WTF!?

STEVEMADDEN

• androidz32015

T mobile does not!!!!! Support unlocked devices OTA updates they lie, my sister has a note 9 unlocked with VERIZON and has June 2019 update t mobile only supports their own network bloatware devices, my unlocked note 9 on t mobile still in January 1 2019 I've done all the trouble shooting the factory reset, clear catch partition etc. I put my sister's sim card from VERIZON and bingo got June 2019 security patch, also t mobile has weak 4g LTE speeds, moving onto VERIZON wireless and a nice future Google pixel  4 xl  dont believe t mobile Mike, they are trained to lie to make you feel better. I'm porting my number this week to VERIZON and good riddance trouble mobile aka t mobile VERIZON #1 t mobile #3??? Who's the best and that sprint merger so pathetic that's the blind leading  the  blind network fix.

• androidz32015

Liar just admit t mobile sucks!!

• magenta9127996

For the weather only here, weather you know it or not lots of non liberals here too

• gldrescher

Wow, I came here to find out why the N960U1 is still on CSD1 on T-Mobile--but instead, I see the thread has been hijacked by some right-wing drunk uncle who can't manage more than three sentences on any topic before compulsively reciting a Fox News rant against his political enemies.

For those with more self-control, I have some on-topic questions. If you've used Odin to sideload CSD3 firmware, were you able to keep all your user data--all your apps and passwords, including Samsung Pay and Samsung Pass? Or did you have to set things up again? And if your micro-SD card was encrypted, did you have to decrypt it before sideloading?

• tarheel6279

Whoever,

I'm not certain if any of your earlier rhetoric was directed to me, but

since you brought up politics in your query I have to say my ONLY political

agenda is to impeach(or any means to remove him from office) mr. trump as

swiftly as possible and deny him the ability to seek a second term!

As far as your queries are concerned (that do actually belong in this

forum),  I can and will help you if needed find a solution if you haven't

done so already. You'll reply back, I assume, if you require assistance?

G-day, to you(my apologies, Forum Moderator)!

• gldrescher

Hi tarheel. No, that wasn't addressing you. Yes, the update problem persists. (Actually, it's worse now--other carriers are now up to CSF1, June security, on both locked and unlocked Note9s, whereas T-Mobile unlocked is still on CSD1, April security, and we're now well into July.)

• tarheel6279

Hello, and Happy 4th of July!

Yes, this situation with tmobile is odd and their unwillingness to address

or acknowledge it's even happening is completely unacceptable! Of course,

us "rogue" handset owners can go where we want, when we want, but t-mob's

behavior in the past few months to their SM-N960U1 patrons doesn't fit the

past! As you know even prior to pie rollout(March), they were easily in

first place/tied for first with regard to pushing the OTA's out to their

customers with either n9 model(SM-N960U, SM-N960U1)! Us unlocked folks

could pretty much count on receiving our monthly update no later than 1

week to 10 days after the CARRIER-BOUND folks(SM-N960U). That's just the

way it was, and almost was bad-mouthing them in these chat forums like

recent!

I, and many others I share dialog with grew tired of waiting and pulled

CSE3 firmware from samfirm,.then flashed using Odin to our handsets(and,

did it again 2 days ago with CSF1.

I'm not certain what level you're at in this techy-world we're living in,

but if I can help you in this area please contact me via this media or call

me.@352.201.6754(at a reasonable hour, please)! Again, not knowing who you

are, I'm offering assistance...please don't take offense! You may know alot

more about android o/s and samsung than me, in that case, when you contact

me I'll pick YOUR brain! (lol)

Take care my friend...I appreciate your time in replying to my message.

Happy 4th of July to you and yours,  and safe journeys.

(this has been the birdMan squawk'n atcha)!

SteveMadden

• gldrescher

Thanks for the offer of assistance! If anyone's curious, I did sideload CSF1 without difficulty. Everything remained in place (including Secure Folder), pretty much like an OTA update. I decrypted my SD card before updating, but I'm guessing it'd have been fine even if I hadn't. I didn't need to factory-reset or wipe system cache or anything.

• tarheel6279

Roger that, as I'm a fan of adb as well, to rid my "rogue" device of that

pesky bloatware(mainly, Samsung's)! I flash only once in a while...I did

this update because I I wanted to try the latest Odin, 3.13.3(written/coded

for pie), available 4 d/l on sammobile(no worries about the d/l speed,

weighing in at a mere 3+mb)! I think it released in late February, but we

didn't see it until May?! Boy, if that isnt Samsung's S-O-P,  then take me

back to rehab! Safe journeys, and I'll squawk more atcha latr.

birdMan

aka tarHeel, madMan, evenSteven....smh

• tarheel6279

As you probably know, tmobile pushed out the June security patch/update for the unlocked note 9 model(SM-N960U1), firmware build # ending in CSF1!!

This OTA push occured in the early am on Monday(7/8) and proudly awarded them LAST PLACE finishers, regarding OTA security updates amongst ALL USA-BASED Wireless Carriers! Obviously, those of us who had a voice in this "stirred something up"and caused a knee-jerk reaction on their part, and to these folks I say THANK YOU!!

Let's hope that our wireless carrier will demonstrate a little more professionalism in the coming months with regard to keeping an open line of communication concerning the monthly security patch updates with thiose of us rocking the Unlocked Galaxy Note 9!!

If you are on  firmware build ending in CSD1(as I was), you can receive this update via OTA push from your wireless provider, yep that's correct, mobile!! Better late than never(I'm sorry, I had to)!

Thank you, tmobile, for providing this security patch/update and "catching-up" our unlocked devices with your USA-based competitors!! We anxiously await the July update, which appears to be (actively) approaching a completion date?!

Many Thanks, again,

SteveMadden

***.***.****

• kv2009

Downloading gives you 5 files.  Which files must be flash to get JUST the security update?  All of them?

*We G965U1 and G960U1 owners haven't received an update since January.

• gldrescher

kv2009 wrote:

Downloading gives you 5 files. Which files must be flash to get JUST the security update? All of them?

As far as I know, there is no way to extract only the security-update part of a firmware update. To flash the firmware downloaded from Sammobile, follow the instructions on that site.