Terrible Customer Service

magenta6742062

Has anyone else experienced generally poor customer service from T-Mobile. I spent 6 1/2 hours dealing with them today. Just switched to T-mobile from sprint and thinking about making another jump to Verizon. If this is the general level of customer care, I will not be staying long with this service.

What are others experience?

All replies

• dc5fan

Re: Terrible Customer Service

I have been with T-Mobile for 14 months. I tend to stay away with the 3rd party stores. Sure there are some of these stores that are good. As far as the Customer Service is concerned I only had one call where I lost connection. So, what has happened in your case?

• magenta6742062

I am pretty careful about shifting things like cell phone service. These are essential services for both my family and my business. For lots of personal health reasons it is important I stay in touch with my wife, particularly. As such, when preparing to make the switch, I did a lot of research and spent over 2 hours with Tmobile making sure both of our phones were unlocked and could be moved over onto their system. After we made the switch I added 2 more lines for two of my kids. Got them tmobile phones. I spent $100 on new sim cards for everyone. i was not happy about this as I was told their was no activation fee and I consider having to buy the sim the same as an activation fee. But I was now determined to move forward.

My wife immediately began to have problems with her Galaxy s7. I spent 4 hours this morning with 6 different techs trying to figure out the problem. They could not solve it. Then we were at Costco so I asked the Costco phone rep to check it out. She ran through all the steps, but still no solution. She suggested I go to a t-mobile store nearby. I walked in and the young lady at the counter diagnosed the problem immediately. Seems there is a known problem transferring Samsung Sprint phones to T-mobile. She was courteous and extremely helpful.

On the way home, my wife and I decided to stop back at Costco and pick her up a new phone. I was not crazy about spending the money, but like I said, communication is essential between me and my wife. i was informed that because we had set up the phones with corporate, Costco could not touch the account for 30 days. I became livid. I had now spent over 5 hours dealing with this, a situation that I believe I should have been informed about before I even made the move. I would have appropriately diagnosed the problem and either prepared by getting a phone for my wife or chosen not to change services.

Anyway on the way home, I call customer service to explain the situation and she starts running me through the same tech garbage I had already spent 5 hours going through. I explained to her that I had no interest in any of that because at this point I no there is no known solution. How the techs on the phone don't know this is beyond me. She suggests she should "escalate" it to some higher division tech group, which will take 3 days. 3 DAYS!!!! after I explain I don't want my wife without a phone.

I tell her to simply make me a deal equal to what Costco has offered me and I will gladly just pick up a phone. NO CAN DO! I am told. But she is happy to run through my options. I don't want her options. I want to know why I can't buy the phone at Costco at a better price, with a better return policy and available immediately rather than being shipped in the next 5 days. SILENCE! And she starts reading me some script. After another hour and a half, I hang up in frustration.

However, at this point I am raging and tweeting my discontent at the same time. Their social media help group picks it up and asks me to DM them. Again, I go through the same conversation. After another hour and a half with them, they finally get a hold of Costco and agree to let them make the sale or promise to honor any Costco deal at their store for pick up. But this is after 8 hours of talking to Tmobile today. How am I supposed to believe they either value my time or my relationship as a customer. All any of their reps do is remotely read of some script and include a bunch of emoting platitudes of how they know how I feel. They have no clue!

Anyway there was my saga that leads me to believe this is unlikely to be a lasting relationship. As someone new to Tmobile, I was just wondering if this is typical and what I should expect or unusual. If typical, there is no need for me to pick up a phone tomorrow and I should just go to Verizon now.

• magenta6742062

By the way. Thanks for engaging. Doesn't seem like there is much of a community here. You are the first. 

• dc5fan

My wife is in the same shape. She has a regular phone next to her chair. Our landline is through our internet service. She is attached to oxygen tubing. I am her caretaker. You have a LOT more knowledge than I will ever have. I live near the Champaign/Urbana, IL area. I have a very good phone suggested by 2 Community members. It seems doing anything around the weekend is a good place to be for help. There are some pretty good moderators here. I was trying to see how many have read your original post. I will check by here today. There is a link that T-Mobile has checking if a phone will work on T-Mobile. I know I was given some good advice to drop the AT&T S5 and purchase the T-Mobile branded phone. BTW, I am not an employee of T-Mobile, but a very satisfied user.

• ik8sqi-2

I am LIVID with t-mobile.

I signed up letting the rep in the store know that I needed to have roaming when I travel to Europe. He had me sign up for the stateside international option. Two days ago, *before* leaving for Europe, I called to make sure my plan allowed my roaming. I was assured it was.

Guess what...? I landed in London yesterday and neither my wife nor I had any phone signal. After an hour on the phone (using a WiFi hotspot) I found out that "ooops" the previous reps had given me the wrong information, I had a no-credit-check plan that did not allow international roaming. I had no option but to change it to a ONE plan, but that would take 24 hours to activate.

Changing plans is not something I could do at the airport while dealing with bags/connections/etc, so we were without phone all day. When we got to the hotel at 11PM, I used their hotspot and spent TWO HOURS AND A HALF with various reps and supervisors, who lied to me in multiple ways. First I was told it would cost me only $10 to activate international calling on both lines - not true - I found out it was going to cost me the same $15/line I was paying with the old plan. Second, he told me it would take only an hour or two to activate the new plan. It was by that time past TWO AM. I woke up today, and guess what? We still did not have phone service. At around 3PM I was finally able to find a hotspot and spend AN HOUR on the phone with support again. Eventually, at around 5PM I finally had a working phone, but without WiFi calling and without international option.

WiFi calling was not working as tmobile is having issues updating the e911 addresses. After FIFTY minutes on hold with the customer service, I saw an option to chat for help. The chat rep fixed the e911 issue in 10 minutes.

Result - TWO days without phone service even though I called in advance before traveling to ensure my account was fine for roaming. Then wasted more that 5 hours on phone multiple times during those two days to get them to resolve the issue.

This is PATHETIC. As soon as I return in the US I will be switching back to AT&T. It will const considerably more that t-mobile, but you obviously get what you pay for.

• rex1000

Agreed. Amazing to think this is a large American company. I've seen companies in low income countries that are more effective.

• rex1000

Not only is the customer service horrendous. The website and t-mobile ID functioning is totally dysfunctional.

Ever notice how there is not one website with clearly organized and explained options or links???? It is all designed to scam as many people as possible.