Switching from Sprint to T-mobile.

vish

Hey guys,

I am interested in transferring four lines from sprint to Tmobile, but unfortunately, I have two phones that have their displays cracked. I would like to know how Tmobile will handle this issue and how much the damage costs would be to get them fixed through Tmobile. I would also like a recommendation on whether I should ask T-mobile to fix them or go elsewhere.

Thanks

All replies

• magentatechie

Re: Switching from Sprint to T-mobile.

Hey there!  T-Mobile doesn't repair phones and they won't accept a damaged phone as a trade-in, so if you're wanting to use those same devices, you might want to take them to a local repair shop to have the screens replaced.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • drnewcomb2

magentatechie is correct in stating that a cracked screen will result in a zero trade-in value. Two questions to answer are 1) what make and model phones and 2) do you owe anything on them? Some Sprint phones are pretty compatible with T-Mobile can could be used on T-Mobile, after unlocking. These might be worth getting fixed. Another thing to consider is if you want T-Mobile to reimburse your EIP balance, the condition might not be as big an issue. (Double check this. I'm not sure.) You'd have to buy new phones from T-Mobile.

Also, keep in mind that Sprint and T-Mobile are trying to merge and if this happens, there will probably be incentives for Sprint customers to get new phones.

• vish

I will need T-Mobile to reimburse my EIP balance as I have 4 months on them well within the price that they are willing to provide. Can you explain why this would not be a "big issue." I am looking to finance new phones from T-Mobile.

• magentatechie

Well, I'm not sure where that was headed, but if you are wanting to get reimbursed for the devices, the damage is an issue.  T-Mobile will not accept them as trade-ins for carrier freedom (which is what your'e referring to, right?) if there is any damage.

Carrier Freedom™

I'm really sorry to be the bearer or bad news, there.  It might be a matter of just biting the bullet and paying off the devices with your old carrier and purchasing new phones through T-Mobile, along with some cases and screen protectors. Fun fact! If you add the Protection 360 insurance AND purchase a screen protector in store (and have the Mobile Expert apply it for you) you can have unlimited screen protector replacements for the life of the phone.  As someone who cracks her protector about once every 5-7 months, I was thrilled by this.

• drnewcomb2

I double checked and here's the deal: Carrier Freedom™

Trade-in your device

You'll need to trade in a phone or tablet, and make sure of the following:

If you're submitting for device plan reimbursement, the device you're trading in must be the one on the device financing agreement from your previous carrier.

The device must be able to power on.

The LCD and display must be acceptable and there can be no liquid damage.

Turn off any of your device's security features, such as activation lock, anti-theft, and Find My iPhone features.

The device has been on a payment plan for at least 90 days, and you've made at least three successful minimum payments.

You'll need to accept the trade-in quote from Assurant.

So, your cracked LCD phones would probably be disqualified. Under previous plans, where T-Mobile was reimbursing an Early Contract Termination, you just had to turn in a compatible phone that would power up. I'm bit out-of-date with my information.

Depending on how much you owe, you could either get them fixed or continue to use them as is.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • vish

Understood will I still benefit from using the Carrier Freedom Plan if I do switch after paying off the phones